• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Varget powder and Hornady 178 ELD-M load data

Steve crawford

Does anyone have a link to load data for the 178gr ELD-m with Varget and CCI BR-2 primers. I went to Hogden web site and they only listed 4064 power for the 178 ELD-M.  If I have to buy another new book I will if it has this data.  I really would like to see several different loads.  I know that I need to reduce the starting load because I am using LC once fired brass to build this load.   Thanks for any help.

Steve

I'm using the 178 ELD-X projectile - it blows away the 178 ELD-M projectile - once-fired LC brass with CCI 200 primers, and Accurate 2495 powder.  It's an amazing load.  Through an 18.5" gas-gun barrel I'm getting 2530fps with 40.6gr Accurate 2495, CCI 200, 178 ELD-X, and it's the most accurate .308 Win load I've ever come up with.  I worked it up specifically for that gun.

The Hornady 11 Manual lists Varget starting at 35.0gr @ 2100 fps, ending 42.4gr @2450fps max load.  

Edited by 98Z5V

Thank you.  The ELD-X bullet is very hard to find.  That was what I was trying to get when I got the ELD-M.  I will see if I can get some Accurate 2495 and some of the ELD-X in 178 gr.  I have a Remington 700 CDL Tactical heavy  20 inch Barrel Rifle that will shoot small one hole groups with 150 gr. Hornady bulk 150 gr. FMJ and CFE-223 powder at 100 yards.  Don't know the speed of the bullet out of that rifle.  I am going to try the EDL-M in my factory original DPMS LR-308 18 inch heavy fluted barrel rifle.   

3 hours ago, Albroswift said:

I see Hornady A-Max or BTHP M1A data for Varget but not AR specific or ELD X/M . 

Hornady 11 Manual lists 178 ELD-X under .308 Winchester, and in Service Rifle, it lists 178 ELD-M  - Varget loads for both.  Shoot the ELD-X with the same charge, and work up.  The Hornady manuals are always about 10% low, in their recommended max charges. From what I've see in real life.  You won't see pressure signs until you cross 10% above what they list for a max charge, or more. 

Run with scissors...   :banana:

Edited by 98Z5V

3 hours ago, Albroswift said:

So side note, why do you think the ELD X out performs the ELD M ? We run the X in the 300 Weatherby, never tried the M.

Better overall BC in both G1 and G7 drag models.  Just putting the two of them in JBM Ballistics software, the X outperforms the M at distance.  Bonus that the X is a very viable hunting projectile, which just happens to outperform their target round...  :thumbup:

I know I'm a bit off topic and apologize in advance. I've been thinking about getting into reloading and have a friend who has a fair amount of experience and is willing to show me the ropes.  Problem is, said friend is poor and lacking supplies.  Namely powder and primers.  I don't mind purchasing supplies.  But don't really know what I'm looking for. We'd be working up 308 loads. I briefly looked at Midway, which is my go to for lotsa stuff, but they seem to be out of all powder and CCI primers (the stuff mentioned in this thread).  If someone could give me a shortlist of appropriate powders, primers and reputable sources, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Hornady Custom Die set uses different seating seating stems for each bullet.  I now have 100 each eld 187 gr. Match and X.  I also now have both seating stems.  They fit slightly different on the bullets.  I will have to keep them separated in my reloading storage bens.  

I don't have a source for powder on line.  I buy local to keep from paying HSAmat charges.  I just bought the Hornady 11 edition reloading book.  I tried to get it on my Kindle Reader or my I Phone 6 but both versions were not available for purchase at this time.  $20 per year with updates or $50 for the book.  O Well.  Nobody ever said these things were inexpensive.   🙄🙄🙄

Steve

Edited by Steve crawford

Think I'm just going to have to put reloading on the back burner.  Powders and primers are simply unavailable locally. And, by my limited math skills, it looks like a # of powder is only good for about 150-175 rounds anyway. So, I'm just stocking up on the factory ammos, which I've tested and work well for me, and which I can get hold of.  I will keep an eye out for powders and primers, but I'm done searching for them - for now. Flippin' hunting for unicorns in this economy. FJB

Have found some decent factory ammo prices at budsgunshop.com lately.  Some of their offerings qualify for free shipping if you order at least $199. Among these are Fed Powershok 150g, which does fine in my gun, and is fine for deer hunting at $23.45/box ($1.17 per round). Also, if you've ordered from them within the last 30 days, they give you a coupon code for $5.  There are also some quality (IMO) target and match rounds that qualify for free shipping. Options are good  - and these guys are whipping my local guys in choices and and price at the moment.

• 1 year later...

just downloaded and started using Gordens Reloading Tool.  Was entering some of my previous loads and the 178 ELD-M was at dangerous pressure.

the load shot as described above with no pressure signs.  but I"m cautious so I disassembled those rounds.

nodes found on GRT for Varget and the 178 ELD-M were 40.9, 42.5, and 43.2  all safe pressure loads.

I will update after running thru my tests.

If the load showed no pressure signs, then run it.  Your gun obviously likes it. 

I usually find myself about 10% over the max load in any Hornady reloading manual, have for years, for my best load. They're gonna be conservative, because they don't want someone brand new to reloading -blowing themselves up from a mistake.  It's a liability issue.

Barnes reloading manuals are a little different - if you're shooting the exact same barrel length and twist as what they tested, they straight tell you what the most accurate load was, right in the book and load data. 

If you have no pressure signs (pierced primers, cratered primers, really flattened primers, ejector swipes that leave a GROOVE not a slight mark - loads so hot that it blurs the case head marks and makes them hard to read...) - then run the load. 

I've never heard of that reloading tool that you're mentioning, but if my loads were good, no pressure signs, and ACCURATE - I wouldn't let that thing tell me that my loads are bad... 

That's my $0.02 on it... 

98Z5V   i would normally agree, until GRT displayed the skull and crossbones with that load, lol.. i will find a lower node and take it easier on my rifle. will post results when i get them.. just got a Frankfort powder dispenser, talk about time saver.  no more dump, trickle wait trickle wait trickle wait.. so im having a lot of fun reloading and shooting.

your right about this rifle liking the pressure, most of my loads are towards the top of manufacturers recommendations. With the Gordons Reloading tool I could see what pressures im producing, hopefully. the fpsit gives me is usually within 20fps to my Magnospeed.

Here is my lastest testing. still have not found as good of a node yet. not done.

rifle still in Remington 700ME 20" barrel 1-10 twist

DATE: 4-24-23 .308 178 HORNADY ELD-M

WEATHER: 65deg/44% humid/29.6 baro

POWDER: VARGET LOT 1120522 7501

GRNS FPS/SD/GROUP COL BRASS BRASS WT #RDS MAG.SERIES SHOULDER BUMP        NECK     NOTES

43.1 2512/9.0/.93         2.80 NORMA 170.0-170.1  3           2                       1.615 (FULL LENGTH) .002

43.2 2511/6.6/1.0                                      170.1-170.3               3

43.3 2512/15.5/1.5                                   170.4-170.6              4

40.8 2392/28.5/2.5                                 170.5-170.7              5

40.9 2372/18.9/2.0                                  170.6-170.8             6

41.0 2412/18.1/.93k                                   170.7-171.0             7

42.4 2474/11.0/1.4                                    171.0                           8

42.5 2480/12.6/1.12                                 171.1-171.5               9

42.6 2489/3.7/1.12                                   171.3-171.4              10

loaded +/- .1 grain around the Optimum Barrel Time on GRT

my fps actual differed from GRT, it was less. need to find which variable needs adjusting. thought it would be the volume, but had to add 1-2 grains of capacity to get actual fps. measured a couple of cases with water and the opposite was true. had less volume, which should equal more fps

im going to play around with col and barrel length next.

16 hours ago, Craig Cartwright said:

loaded +/- .1 grain around the Optimum Barrel Time on GRT

my fps actual differed from GRT, it was less. need to find which variable needs adjusting.

The variable that needs adjusting is going back to your old load that worked great, and showed no pressure signs.  The variable you introduced was this GRT tool.  I don't see why you're relying on it so heavily, and changing everything just because of it.  Get rid of it. 

Edited by 98Z5V