• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Looking to buy a lr-308 or lr308B

;D WOOOHOOO ;D Just got a call from Cabelas . My gun is in...Gonna pay for it Friday and pick it up on Sat..... chomping at the bit. I have heard nothing but good things about the accuracy of this gun. I am sure it is gonna be heavy. But I see a Primos trigger stock tripod in my future..... Now tell me what I am going to want for this other than a new trigger..that is gonna be soon

Yhanks Guys Drop

Well I have it home. You guys are right it is heavy , but not enough to deter me from using it. I just got finished installing a Timney trigger in it. adjustable. Set at 4# from the factory. but crisp. might lighten it later on . I mounted a Leupold 3.5X10X40 on it for now...That also might change in the future. I used some high Warne rings I had here already... However I looked at the Leuold one piece mount and like it quite will. It has 20 MOA built in so that might be a plug. She looks kinda plain Jane compared to all the nice one's I see posted here. But I bet that changes too...Am going to get some ammo in a few days and am off work through the holidays starting Friday...going shooting! I will post when I do. Please feel free to chime in with any advice or warnings .

Thanks Drop

Make sure you lightly lube up the inside of the receiver extension, as far as you can get a finger in there.  Lightly lube the outside of the buffer body, and the outside of the buffer spring, too.  You'd be amazed at how much "resistance" there is, in cycling the action, when those parts are BONE dry (especially on a brand new semi-auto).  After shooting a bit, lube eventually gets back in there anyway, but that's an area that not too many people realize or think about, and it can give you cycling issues on a brand new build.  <thumbsup>

You can have the barrel fluted to knock some weight out of it..if it becomes an issue with you.....brother had his done and it made a noticeable difference..easily a pound off..then he hung a Benny Cooley off the end of it ....that's a chunk of steel but it works great....my 6.5 Creedmoor barrel is at the shop right now getting flutes.should have it back after NewYears....

Went to the range today just to get it on paper... Called a local gun shop to ask how much for  Boresighting..he said $20 bucks :o Took a 4ft square of cardboard with me instead. first shot was 18" low and 8" to the right..took another just to make sure..adjusted the scope up ant right...oopslol doot a shot and then readjusted 12" left...3 shots in 1.5"... Not to bad for some cheap 15 year old ammo.... moved out to 100 yds and shot 7 more...3" group  take one out and it was closer to 2". However I did get several malfunctions. Jams if you will. I gave it a shot of clp before I went out. It is kicking the brass out so hard it is going behind me and hitting the reciever as it passes. Making a bress mark. Gonna tru some other ammo in a couple days. Also I didnt load the mag full just 5 one time and 7 another . not really concerned yet as this was Rem ..umc ammo from way back...So next plan is a little wetter oil and try some other ammo. I have American eagle, Winchester also. No recoil..and fun to shoot...will keep yall posted

Drop

If the malfunctions are similar with different types/brands of ammo, the magazine(s) would be the first thing to look at.

Also, being new, the gun would probably benefit from running it WET (as in REALLY wet). I could also be just simply having "teething Problems". I had an AR years ago that was a single-shot for the first 200rds, but after it finally smoothed out, ran like a top.

Hope it gets ironed out for ya.

I have a DPMS LR-308 with 24 inch fluted barrel,  factory.  Scattered elsewhere in this forum is a complete description and a photo.

I had some jam problems early-on.  It was not a serious problem for me because I was mostly firing single-shot by tossing one round at a time into the open port-  on top of the magazine- and releasing the BCG to load. 

After the first time at the range I washed all metal parts in powder solvent first and then in my own "gun oil."  I mix 25% to 35% Kroil into Mobil One 10W-30 Full Synthetic.  (Harbor Freight has a nice little 4 oz oil can.)  This provides relatively permanent lubrication and moisture proofing:  the Kroil is a cleaner.  I pour/inject this oil into all openings,  crevices,  crannies and let it sit as long as possible.  I fill the bore and then drain the fluid back into the oil can.  Then I spend some time drying with paper towel.  After that initial treatment,  just wipe lightly with paper towel barely damp with the oil. (At the range,  run a dry patch or maybe two through the bore first thing,  then shoot 2 to 5 throw-away rounds.  During a range session I use powder solvent to clean the bore.  My own oil is used later for long-term protection and when the Kroil has time to do what it does.)

After a few dozen rounds of various kinds of ammo,  factory and handloads,  several trips to the range,  the rifle seems to run properly.  Ejection is relatively light and consistent.  My 'range box' is a cheap Stanley toolbox from Wal-Mart that measures 9x9x18 inches.  I take the tray out and leave the lid open with the box close  alongside my rifle on the shooting bench and it easily catches all fired brass.

The lightest bullets I shoot are 140 grain Russian ammo.  I discard those lacquered steel  casings.  The others run from 150 to 190 grain with most in the 160+ to 180 grain range.  I reload my fired factory brass-  as many times as I feel comfortable with any given cartridge case.

If I do not catch the fired cases,  they all land within a couple of feet alongside.

From reading within this forum,  maybe my factory rifle has a relatively heavy BCG?  Perhaps your BCG is light and replacing parts necessary to make it heavier would help?  I/we need other comments about BCG weight.  Maybe all you need is a stronger buffer spring behind your BCG?  My own experience working on machinery says to find the easiest and least expensive fix.

From your posts,  it sounds like a new factory rifle.  DPMS might fix everything for you with no fuss or muss?  That would seem to be the first thing to try?