• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Newbie w/questions

Cripps72

Hello all, recently picked up a Del-ton echo for cheap, but I'm not digging the tubular handguard. So I'm stuck with just buying a complete upper and swapping out, or should I tear it down and add what I want. I know keeping the factory would be better, but so much easier to my complete. And ideas and advice would be great. Also, I'm gunlover and paramedic, and my main hobby seems to be always working.

If you want to keep the front sight you need a fore end the same length as you have now. If the front sight isn't required put a shorter gas block on it and use whatever rail you want. You do need to figure out what hight your upper receiver is so the rail is even w/the upper receiver.

22 hours ago, dpete said:

The handguard wouldn't be terribly hard to replace.  You could even get a freefloat handguard and install it if you are willing to cut the sight post off of the gas block.  A little bit of Dremel tool tabletop gunsmithing.

Here is a video showing what I was talking about. 

Cut the FSB, and we'll work on other things later.  16" midlength gas barrel, needs a specific gas port diameter.  Recoil system needs to be straight, which it's probably not.

Fix the first things, we'll run on operation later. 

2 hours ago, Cripps72 said:

I've decided since the handguard is coming off and the fsb has to be removed, I'm going to switch out to an adjustable gas block ( which would you recommend or would it matter) it is running off a carbine gas system. 

Is the fsb pinned on or a clamp on?   If its a clamp on no problem, take it off like any other gas block and replace it.  If its pinned on, once you have the pins out and the fsb off you are going to have two half moon shaped cut outs on the bottom of your barrel where the fsb pins went.  That is what made me decide to cut the fsb when I free floated my Colt AR15.  I punched out the pins, pulled the fsb, chopped off the sight and the bayonet lug, then rounded the upper edges and painted it with high temp grill paint.  I figured I had a perfectly functioning gas block so why not use it, and no ugly holes in the bottom of the barrel  The project was also kinda fun.

2 hours ago, Cripps72 said:

Well it's this rifle, like Armed eye Doc posted.

That doesn't answer my first question.  Pinned or clamped?   :popcorn:          It makes a difference for your options and how difficult the change over will be.