• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Lite bullets

NightStalker

They won't fly longer distances very well, will have alot of drop over distance, and the wind will buck them.  Out here in AZ, I get to shoot alot of distance, so I've never messed with the lighter projectiles very much.  I've used the Hornady 175 HPBTs extensively, and switched over to the Hornady 178 ELD-X a few years ago.

You probably have a 1:10" twist barrel, so projectiles much under 147gr aren't gonna get great groups with that fast twist.  Even 150s aren't that great (accuracy wise) out of a 1:10".  If that's your barrel twist rate, you'll probably need 168s, if it's accuracy for your main focus.

36 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

They won't fly longer distances very well, will have alot of drop over distance, and the wind will buck them.  Out here in AZ, I get to shoot alot of distance, so I've never messed with the lighter projectiles very much.  I've used the Hornady 175 HPBTs extensively, and switched over to the Hornady 178 ELD-X a few years ago.

You probably have a 1:10" twist barrel, so projectiles much under 147gr aren't gonna get great groups with that fast twist.  Even 150s aren't that great (accuracy wise) out of a 1:10".  If that's your barrel twist rate, you'll probably need 168s, if it's accuracy for your main focus.

Yes it’s 1/10 I know, I was just thinking of small game rounds like yotes maybe deer. 

3 minutes ago, NightStalker said:

Yes it’s 1/10 I know, I was just thinking of small game rounds like yotes maybe deer. 

I'd rather hit a deer with that 178 ELD-X.  It won't go far.  For the coyotes, I like the 5.56 guns.  Or a Grendel.  Took a .300 BLK 'yote hunting once, but couldn't call in a single damn one of them that trip.  Shady bastards.

2 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

I'd rather hit a deer with that 178 ELD-X.  It won't go far.  For the coyotes, I like the 5.56 guns.  Or a Grendel.  Took a .300 BLK 'yote hunting once, but couldn't call in a single damn one of them that trip.  Shady bastards.

You mean sketchy. The night time is the right time.. 

Edited by sketch
Shady af.

Not out of an AR10, but out of a .308 Encore handgun I shot 55grain bullets with a sabot. I doubt they would feed in a semi-auto. The powder was extremely fast for .308 and blast was incredible. Powder was nothing anyone would ever use in a normal .308/7.62. I remember 3600 fps. Accuracy was "mehh", memory tells me 3" @ 100 yards. For me that's not very good. I discussed it with the sabot manufacturer and he told me that was all I could expect. End of project.

Is it Speer that made (still makes?) 100 grain "plinkers". I've shot those out of a bolt action, I didn't have a chronograph at the time so don't know the velocity. As already mentioned light bullets are a short range affair or mortar them in. I did contact Speer to ask about max' velocity for the bullet and was told "as fast as you can drive them". The jacket was a barely formed cup and super thick. 

• 1 month later...

I loaded a bunch of different types of 125gr tipped projectiles the all shot good to great. Twist rates of 1/11 and 1/12 barrels. None were magic bullets though. After all that experimenting I found that 155gr ,168gr & 175gr worked best out of my rifles.