• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Intro of me and build issues

Sparkylr308

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update: installed orange sprinco buffer spring and enhanced reliability extractor spring. I went to the range today… not good. First had a few of the same malfunctions in a row. Then I remembered I still had the quarter in place in the buffer extension tube. Then it ran several rounds in a row perfectly. 16 to be exact. Then I loaded a magazine with just Winchester white box M80 7.62X51. I fired 2 rounds and then a malfunction. I locked the bcg back with the bolt catch. This is where it gets weird. I could not remove the magazine easily at all and then I could not release the bolt with the bolt catch. There was no round trying to be chambered or anything. I had a friend help me release the Magazine. I had to hold the charging handle back as far as I could possibly could while he yanked in the mag. Something was clearly blocking it, as part of the magazine catch was protruding from the lower receiver. We could kinda hear some rattling around but could not locate anything. I was then looking at the ejected round and then my friend noticed that on the rounds that failed to extract from the chamber properly, they had a mark of the rim from the extractor. It was not a normal mark on the rim like the others. On those you could see the claw markings on the interior of the rim, but on these ones it was on the outside diameter of the rim. A definite line on the rim was made on the failed extracted cases. My question after all of this is, what can cause this? I am leaning towards the claw on the extractor is failing and should be replaced. But would love to hear some suggestions. Thank you as always! 

I attached a couple photos of the malfunctions so you guys can see what’s going wrong. 

4934DA39-B85B-4B92-8F88-2C2B5E0F0F56.jpeg

9C4B8627-6CD1-47E0-95DE-58B1C9C7CE2D.jpeg

2 hours ago, Sparkylr308 said:

yes. I use a dry lube.

These large frames like to be really wet at the start, like dripping on you making a mess wet. Of course keep it out of the chamber area best you can. Once broke in I get by with minimal lube but I always make it wet first, some interesting pictures around here to show how wet we mean........

That said at 200 rounds your hitting a point that break in is less likely the issue. For me I use Armalite parts as a go to for known reliability, there's plenty of others that's just what I use when troubleshooting cause I know they work and I have a pile. It shouldn't be a buffer weight issue, or gas issue unless you acquired a healthy leak somewhere.

My Sig P716 hands out jams that look like that on a regular basis, it uses a flat wire spring and an H2 buffer if I remember correctly, I really need to change that out and see if that fixes it, Sig hasn't been able to after a couple tries, new double ejector they added MIGHT have cut down on a jams.... a little, maybe.

5 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

These large frames like to be really wet at the start, like dripping on you making a mess wet. Of course keep it out of the chamber area best you can. Once broke in I get by with minimal lube but I always make it wet first, some interesting pictures around here to show how wet we mean........

Bond Girl Gemma Arterton Covered in Oil for 'Quantum of Solace' | Gemma  arterton, Bond women, Bond girls

Like this one from page 2 of this very thread!  We weren't kidding when we said to run it WET!

• 3 weeks later...