• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Intro of me and build issues

Sparkylr308

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SEE these sketcy Fuks are dirty minded I just mentioned oil and parts and see where we are? BUT she does look delicious.... but seriously it will make a huge difference in your weapon to marry the parts in synthetic oil....

• 2 weeks later...

So ran into another new issue yesterday at the range with my 308 build. It was double feeding. It started with, I could fire 2 and then as it was loading the third it would malfunction. Then it started happening more and more frequently until it was every single time I fired the rifle. This was a new malfunction and only has happened this range trip. The only thing I have done recently to the rifle was clean/lube the bcg and upper. Any suggestions on how to fix this would be awesome! Thank you! 

Double feed like two from the mag at once? or empty brass and a live one? A little more detail on the malfunction might help. Could be the gas system has taken a seal and is now a bit over-gassed when combined with the break in, just a wild guess there. Inspect all the parts for any un usual wear or damage for a start.

5 hours ago, Sparkylr308 said:

One fired and one live.

That's a Failure to Eject.  Focus on the things that make ejection happen.  Gas system is a huge part, recoil system is a huge part.  The Ejector and it's spring are the (obviously) biggest part of the function.  To a limited degree, if the Extractor is messed up, it'll let go of the spent case before the Ejector can kick it out of the receiver.  That's rare, though.

That's definitely not a double-feed malfunction.  Double Feeds are two live rounds trying to enter the chamber at the same time.  Double Feeds are ALWAYS magazine related.

Edited by 98Z5V

On 6/13/2022 at 4:15 PM, Sparkylr308 said:

Update: got to the range and went through several mags of 7.62x51 m80 ball ammo flawless! Thank you guys for all your help.

On 7/15/2022 at 8:13 AM, Sparkylr308 said:

So ran into another new issue yesterday at the range with my 308 build. It was double feeding. It started with, I could fire 2 and then as it was loading the third it would malfunction. Then it started happening more and more frequently until it was every single time I fired the rifle. This was a new malfunction and only has happened this range trip. The only thing I have done recently to the rifle was clean/lube the bcg and upper. Any suggestions on how to fix this would be awesome! Thank you! 

13 hours ago, Sparkylr308 said:

@98Z5Vwhat do you suggest then? It sounds like this is more localized in the bolt?

I'm not sure yet - what changed from the first post above that I quoted?  It was running, so what changed to make it start malfunctioning?  Ejector or ejector spring break?  Test them, to find out.  Hook a spent case under the lip of the extractor, and push it straight inline with the BCG, and see if the ejector moves in and out smoothly.  See if the extractor is hanging on to the case rim. 

We know the gas system and recoil system are good - it was working.

12 minutes ago, Sparkylr308 said:

@98Z5Vi cleaned and lubed the bcg well. All of that looks fine. I have noticed a lot of brass shavings though.

That's normal, breaking in a gun.  I HAVE seen brass shavings clog up an ejector before, so test that ejector, like I described above - make sure it's moving in and out smoothly, and not hanging up.  It might be good just to remove it, and clean all that stuff out, and see what comes out...

You shoot .45 ACP?  Have any spent cases laying around?

Edited by 98Z5V

17 minutes ago, Sparkylr308 said:

yes I do shoot 45 acp and I do have spent casing. 

Good.  Pulling the ejector is easy without special tools, and it's super easy with .45 ACP cases.  .The .45 ACP rim diameter is identical to .308 Win rim diameter, which means it fits the .308 bolt face perfectly.  Put a used .45 case over the bolt tail to protect it, put another .45 case in the bolt face, in a vise, and tighten until it's all straightened up.  Add a little twist to the vise handle then.  You can then tap out the ejector roll pin easily, but you might have to brace the underside of the bolt, and hold it straight, while you tap out the roll pin.  After the pin is out, relax tension on the vise, slowly, and remove the case that was in the bolt face, and you can take the ejector and spring right out of it.

If you hit that roll pin like a Hero, you'll certainly knock the whole rigged-up assembly right out of the jaws of the bench vise.  Just sayin'... 

P.S.  DO NOT remove the extractor for this - it helps to hold the .45 case in place, while you're screwing everything down in the vise.  Removing the extractor is not necessary, and will hinder the operation.  This operation takes 3 hands to perform, when done properly, you'll see when you start it, so be patient.  Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast...    You don't need a hundred-dollar special tool to do it, though.  Just a couple .45 cases and a vise.  And a pin punch.

P.P.S.  If there's a bunch of brass shavings down in that hole, make sure you get a pic of it before you clean it out...   :thumbup:

Edited by 98Z5V

@98Z5V You weren’t kidding! What an P.I.A!!! I got it out, cleaned it, and back together. It was definitely dirty in there. Some brass in there and a little chunk of metal or something came out. I cleaned it well. Degreased all the parts. So we will see. I ordered the sprinco orange buffer spring and extractor spring combo. Figured why not get both. 

04D8A963-E10A-48B9-9B5B-20325C2CC4E7.jpeg

7912F74B-2632-42CF-AA6C-E0906392D159.jpeg

4 hours ago, Sparkylr308 said:

You weren’t kidding! What an P.I.A!!!

Just wait to you put it all back together - that's even more fun!...  :lmao:

Question on that BCG - both ejectors held in place with one pin?  Or is there a separate pin for each ejector?

• 2 weeks later...