• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Thoughts on the Stealth 28 HTBT

So first my previous hearing protection prior to these is ear foamies underneath Howard Leight electronic earmuffs. 

So my my observations,
 It comes with 3 different size ear pieces, it's important to make sure you get the ones that fit best( fill the ear cannal) I tried all three sizes at the range... it makes a difference

I initially tried them at home but having never used this style of ear protection it was hard to tell on the fit.

At the range it was easier to initially test but now that I have a reference fitting future ones at home will be easier.
 It's important to put the ear pieces in correctly with the cord coming over the ear and the ear bud angled correctly.

The two things I noticed was that it was a louder than my previous ear pro( to be expected) but the low end sounds were not muffled. This was a funny side effect as I could hear all sorts of background noise/talk I never heard before( a bit distracting).This is more of an issues at the main rifle ranges as there are lots more people then the other ranges.

Overall I'm pleased with these, and these will be my primary ear pro and the more I wear them the better they seem to fit/work. Shooting in small groups,compitition or in more open enviroments these are the go to. I think these will work for hunting.

They are nice in that durring the cease fires there is no need to take them off as normal conversations are easy.

For now I'll continue to use my old ear pro on my main rifle range do to the set up. It is an building with an open side and 18 lanes so it can get loud with large bore rifles but it's nice when shooting in the rainy season.
 The pistol ranges and other ranges are limited to only a few lanes and while covered not as enclosed.

The other place I'll use them is in the workshop which is were the bluetooth will be nice.

I like them and will likely pick up another set but might go with a non Bluetooth set, do it right I'll get work to pay for them.

• 11 months later...

I got the version without the Blue Tooth.  Otherwise they are identical.  Have used them a bit now.  Sound protection is excellent.  Took a while to determine the best size ear buds. Ambient sound amplification seems pretty good. No problems with conversations or hearing approaching boats and vehicles.  Have not found any need to add the wind noise reduction filters so far.  I am still ambivalent about using them for hunting. Where I primarily hunt, fairly dense woods and thickets, my ears are more important than my eyes for location of prey.

@Cunuckgaucho You had mentioned you thought you would use them for hunting.  Wondering if you have now done so.  And, if so, what your thoughts were regarding their performance in that arena?

@MtnMike

Haven't been hunting but a couple observations now that I've had them a bit.

There is a difference between the foam or silicone ear inserts. The foamies do a far better job, don't last as long or easy to clean, but replacement foamies are cheap.

The microphone feature is very good, on the highest setting it's probably to good as I can hear the smallest sound to he point of distraction. Maybe go for a hike in the area you hunt and try them out walking around. I suspect on the highest setting to really hear something you'll have to stand still as your movement with mask other sounds.

I've run both versions now (BT and non-BT) for shooting matches, and they're both great, IMHO.  Running the BT version for over 1.5 years now.  Easy to wear, never in the way, excellent NR (better than the NR on my Walker Stealth 2.0s, at 26).  I can't complain, and would wear them hunting.

Interesting, between the 2 versions.  The BTs can amplify external sound in 3 steps, to max amp.  The non-BTs can amplify sound in 5 steps, to max amp.  I don't need BT, so I kinda like the non-BTs a little better because of that.  Not saying the nons amplify sound MORE, can't decide on that yet, with two months with them.  But, they have more steps in teh amplification to choose from, over the BTs.  My thoughts. 

I'm up at the lake cabin in VA this week on R&R. Sat out on the front porch for a while around daybreak with the Pro Ears on. Had seen a couple of deer out there earlier, well before daybreak, down the hill silhouetted against the background of the lake.  The deer had moved on before I thought to pop in the Pro Ears.  But still a multitude of wildlife moving around in the waking hour. I liked that I still had a decent sense of direction as to where the sounds were coming from while wearing the Pro Ears. That has been my primary concern with using them for hunting- would I be able to tell where the sound is coming from?  The Pro Ears have now passed this preliminary test.  I'll give them a go in early muzzle loading season in SC in a couple of months.

Amplification level of 3 on the non-BT version that I have seemed to work best for me.  Above that, the increased background static/fuzz noise seemed to outweigh any increase in the volume of the actual sounds out there. 

Well the trolling motor is charged, and I have worms, best get out there before it gets hot ....

Edited by MtnMike