• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Update

Rockin308

Hello all, 

Well, I got the new Springco spring, new 5.3 oz buffer and the correct gas tube length installed. Now just waiting for the new scope today for the build. Got a Swampfox Tomahawk 1-8x24 on its way today. Found a real light weight mount sitting around that I forgot I had. I have mounts everywhere, since I get one-two each Christmas. 
Here's the parts list so far. I will post after range report hopefully today. 

Barrel: Faxon Firearms .308 Winchester Pencil Rifle Barrel | Up to $13.95 Off 5 Star Rating w/ Free Shipping (opticsplanet.com)

Handguard: UTG Pro M-LOK DPMS-LR308 High Profile Super Slim Free Float Handguard | Up to $5.00 Off 5 Star Rating w/ Free S&H (opticsplanet.com)
Magpul M-Lok AFG grip 

Muzzle device: Strike Industries Japan Jcomp Type 89 Compensator | $4.00 Off 4.6 Star Rating Free Shipping over $49! (opticsplanet.com)

Upper receiver: https://www.opticsplanet.com/aero-apar308503a-308-upper-blk.html

Lower Receiver: Aero Precision stripped lower M5

Buffer Kit: https://www.opticsplanet.com/aero-precision-m5-308-enhanced-carbine-buffer-kit.html
With, Springco Orange recoil spring and Expo Arms 5.3 oz buffer 

Butt stock: https://www.opticsplanet.com/mission-first-tactical-battlelink-extreme-duty-minimalist-stock-ar-15.html

BCG: https://www.opticsplanet.com/lantac-m-spec-bolt-carrier-group.html

Scope mount: Amazon.com : Monstrum ZR300 H-Series V1 Hollow Frame Lightweight Offset Picatinny Scope Mount | 30 mm Diameter : Sports & Outdoors
This is what I got last Christmas, yes, I know it's cheap, but it has been on several rifles with other scopes and the weight is only 4.3 oz. 

Scope:  https://www.opticsplanet.com/swampfox-tomahawk-1-8x24-lvpo-riflescope.html 

Trigger: AR15 and AR10 drop in replacement flat trigger | lighten trigger pull | reduced power spring | AR15 | AR-15 | AR10 | M16 | enhanced fire control group (taylor-tactical-supply.com) 

Grip: Magpul Industries AR Rifles MOE-K2+ Grip | Up to $1.25 Off 4.9 Star Rating Free Shipping over $49! (opticsplanet.com)

IMG_20220722_105424900.jpg

Edited by Rockin308

Got back from the range yesterday, and I am impressed with this build. I was shooting 150 Grain Federal JSP and with that 1-8 Swampfox scope at 100 yards was getting 1-1.25" groups. I will say this about Faxton they make same really good barrels. That trigger was really smooth as well, the flat faced trigger your follow up shots are quick and precise. 
I also shot some 145 grain Steel case ammunition and it performed well. got around 1.25-1.5" group from that ammunition. I don't have the name on that ammunition but for a budget range ammo it was gtg. 

That Swampfox optic is amazing, and it only took 3 shots to sight it in at 100 yards. I used the Federal for sight in, that is most likely the ammo I will use for deer and hog with this setup. I am not sure about the AFG on the handguard. I tried out that Shooters lube from Springco and I like its performance, stays put and keeps the Lr308 running smooth. 
Now the only question I would have been what is the standard ejection pattern on a LR308? I noticed at the range yesterday it was ejecting at a 1:30-2:00. I know with AR15s you want it around the 3-4 O'clock location, but I am not sure about LR308. I didn't have any feeding issues with either ammunition. The rifle performed flawlessly, even my fiancé shot it and she liked it. 

At this time, I am very impressed with this build and would like to thank everyone that helped me along my way. I now have gained knowledge in another platform to increase my gunsmithing skills. I graduated from SDI about 2 years ago and have been working in the firearms industry for just over a year now, and I jump at any opportunity to gain knowledge in the craft. Now my next task is to build an AK 47 here soon. 

Thank you all, this forum site is my go-to source for anything AR10/Lr308 related. I have a buddy that now wants me to build him one. 

The ejection pattern for large frame ARs work like this: Does the brass clear the ejection port?

Yes: Good.

No: Fix it.

All that 1,2,3,4 o' clock BS that folks obsess about on small frame is irrelevant. If the brass is clearing the gun without causing malfunctions, it's good to go.

30 minutes ago, Matt.Cross said:

The ejection pattern for large frame ARs work like this: Does the brass clear the ejection port?

Yes: Good.

No: Fix it.

All that 1,2,3,4 o' clock BS that folks obsess about on small frame is irrelevant. If the brass is clearing the gun without causing malfunctions, it's good to go.

Thank you, 

I have read the same response that you just gave on other forums and from some of my gunsmiths on my gunsmith groups. I had no issues with ejection at all and it was throwing the brass and steel case about 4-5 feet. So, I thank you for confirming that I knew on the large frame rifles, if the rifle is cycling its gtg. 

10 hours ago, Rockin308 said:

I now have gained knowledge in another platform to increase my gunsmithing skills. I graduated from SDI about 2 years ago and have been working in the firearms industry for just over a year now, and I jump at any opportunity to gain knowledge in the craft.

Just remember ONE THING on these Large Frame ARs...  

Rule #1.  There is no definitive pattern to follow.  Every manufacturer will do what they want to do.

Based on that, on every single build that you do, you ALWAYS have to check the basics, very first.  Get the Recoil System straight first.  Get the Gas System straight second. In that order.   If you do that, and balance both systems (and aren't working with shiit-parts from junk vendors), then the gun WILL run. 

End Of Sermon.  :soap:

12 hours ago, Rockin308 said:

I know with AR15s you want it around the 3-4 O'clock location, but I am not sure about LR308. I didn't have any feeding issues with either ammunition. The rifle performed flawlessly,

I'd say leave it alone, where the brass lands isn't a problem, it's a diagnostic to help solve problems when they arise but if all is well shoot the schit out of it. :thumbup:

13 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Just remember ONE THING on these Large Frame ARs...  

Rule #1.  There is no definitive pattern to follow.  Every manufacturer will do what they want to do.

Based on that, on every single build that you do, you ALWAYS have to check the basics, very first.  Get the Recoil System straight first.  Get the Gas System straight second. In that order.   If you do that, and balance both systems (and aren't working with shiit-parts from junk vendors), then the gun WILL run. 

End Of Sermon.  :soap:

Thanks,

I think I got it dialed in, now to shoot the poop out of it. 

This has to be one of my best builds, my 6.5 Grendel is a good one as well 

Picture shows the 6.5 Grendel

IMG_20220723_121400652.jpg

Well,

Sold my Grendel, to fund some more other project items. Going to miss it a bit but got the Lr308 now and the funds of the sale are going towards a 6.5 Creedmore upper. 

Took the Lr308 out again yesterday it performs perfectly, was getting again 1-1.5" groups at 100+ with steel case ammo the 1" group was with Federal 150 grain JSP. 

At this time this has to be the one of the my best builds. I've done several AR 9s and Ar15s in different calibers, but this Lr308 is the bees knees.

Thanks to all the answers to my Lr308 build questions.