• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Norma 150g SP $15.99 Box

MtnMike

Just a word to the wise or the uninitiated, soft-point ammo is poorly suited to use in large AR platforms. Your results may vary and you may well be the exception, but make your purchasing decision from a well-advised standpoint. That said, I'd expect this stuff to do excellent in a 308 bolt platform, so props to the OP for posting up the deal.

1 hour ago, Matt.Cross said:

Just a word to the wise or the uninitiated, soft-point ammo is poorly suited to use in large AR platforms. Your results may vary and you may well be the exception, but make your purchasing decision from a well-advised standpoint. That said, I'd expect this stuff to do excellent in a 308 bolt platform, so props to the OP for posting up the deal.

Soft points are no good for the FAL neither.  Pretty much bolt actions only. 

As hunting rounds sighted in at 100 yards they were always MOA in my handloads.  But yes the soft points get gashed when chambering.  100 yards or less ranges it makes no difference.  I still use the 129 grain SP as the hunting load in my 18" Grendel. 

Edited by dpete

Out of curiosity. I racked 4 different SP bullets through my 2 AR 308s. I could see, (once I put my reading glasses on), some minor scratching of bullets in both guns. Actually, slightly more pronounced in the Windham (through which I shoot SPs regularly) than the other, which hasn’t been shot yet.  Definitely nothing which would affect the operation of the gun, and probably nothing that would affect accuracy at 100 yards. Attaching a photo of the worst one. Bear in mind the photo is magnified. 

Definitely don’t want to lead others astray. I’ll keep shooting them though. I like to practice with the same ammo I’ll hunt with. But they’re probably not for long range snipers and other rocket scientists. 3CF12DD2-F2D8-4A20-95E6-FB40B32D8259.thumb.jpeg.412d39eb0b4b0289acb966e6a30f5844.jpeg