• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

DPMS DP10

Oracle? So what is an Oracle? Base model? I bought one new, it has no carry handle\rear sight. 18" with a regular front sight\gas block, flat top with plastic handguards. If I'm not mistaken, it's manufacture is 2022, but I can find NO general information or performance data, personal or corporate.

Why is this? Anybody?

Semper Fidelis!

Mike

It's a PSA PA-10 Gen 3.  PSA bought DPMS during the Remington breakup.  Expect all the PA-10 issues with this one. 

Here's the DPMS DP10 from the DPMS website:

BLEM DPMS DP10 18" Mid-Length .308 WIN 1/10 Stainless Steel 15" Lightweight M-Lok STR 2-Stage Rifle

Here's the PA-10 from the PSA website:

PSA Gen3 PA10 20" Rifle-Length Stainless Steel Lightweight M-Lok STR 2-Stage Rifle

Here's the history of what/how things went with the Remington Fiasco:

https://www.guns.com/news/2021/08/05/bushmaster-dpms-panther-arms-black-rifle-brands-revived

Seems I have NO idea what I have - it's a DR10. WTF is that? After spending a lot of yesterday reading, I took my poop apart and low and behold, it's all the same cobbled together crap the posts say it is. What a let down. I thought PA was a conscientious company, but I guess not so much. I have a PSA AKV that is flawless and fun, time to wake up, huh? Should have never figured that a 308 AR would come off the shelf as shootable as a 556 AR. Here's the pics, I know what has to be done, it'll take a year or more, I never should have gotten this. Looks like the only thing done right is the positioning of the buffer tube. I won't even unpin the front sight, I am sure we all know what I will find.

So disappointed.

DR10 nomenclature.jpg

DR10 buffer label.jpg

DR10 buffer spring and weight.jpg

DR10 gas tube.jpg

DR10 buffer tube.jpg

DR10 18 inch upper.jpg

2 hours ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

PSA makes some fine products.  308ARs just aren't included in that.  The good news is that it is usually fixable without too much effort.  

It's not the effort, I am a very good mechanic and love figuring out how things work and expand my general knowledge of firearms. Two years, even one year ago I would have read these threads and started ordering parts and tearing into the DR10 and made everything right and probably had something I would be proud of shooting. Less than four months ago I was diagnosed with leukemia, and though treatment is going very well, I am no longer able to work, and probably will not be able to for  couple years, at least not full time. As a result, I have absolutely no disposable or even extra funds to fix this, as it was I traded a few things to get it because I wanted a .30 cal AR - all obviously before I knew these issues would require further expense.

I'll get over it. Probably try to get rid of it and settle for just a good .30 caliber rifle, lever or bolt.

3 minutes ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

Sorry to hear about your health issues.  It's good to hear it is responding to treatment.

I may have missed it if you said it somewhere, but have you shot the rifle yet?  Many of their later rifles are functional from the factory, although not quite "correct."

Thank you, and thank you @sagebrush! The treatments seem to be doing what they are supposed to, I keep track of my bloodwork and how I feel according to what I do, lesson I learned the hard way - the general medical community are not going to monitor you unless you are in dire need, so it's up to the person. I have always known and proscribed to that, good thing because I am the one that caught the differences that started this particular journey. ANYWAY...

AED - I have not yet shot it. Even if it can function as is, it's not very likely it will run as well as my 556 AR, and I can't justify holding on to it until such time as I might be able to replace parts and make it correct, even if it does shoot as is. It's an AR, I want it to be as boringly repetitious in function and reliability as what I already have. Another time maybe, but, that is me talking today, and if the opportunity arises before I can get it to a buyer or put together a trade, I may shoot it. Never can tell!

4 hours ago, Traveler said:

Seems I have NO idea what I have - it's a DR10. WTF is that?

No worries, this is fixable so it will run everything.  Still PSA.  Might as well do the mods now, before you shoot it, so you're working on a clean gun.

Let me know if that's a 16" or 18" barrel on that.  Looks light 18" and it's mid-length gas.  You'll need an Armalite AR-10 CARBINE gas tube for it.  Trust my words on that.  Get rid of the entire carbine recoil system that's in it now, and just buy the Armalite AR-10 Carbine Recoil System - they sell that as one part number.  That will wolve your recoil system problems that you are going to encounter with what you have now.  

So, only thing left is gas port diameter.  If that's an 18" barrel - I can see it's midlength, and I can see it's a 0.750" journal size - so if it's 18", they drilled the gas port 0.070".  You'll need to open that up to 0.085".  

1. Replace the gas tube, yours is probably too short - a pic will confirm this.  Take a pic up in the upper receiver, BCG removed, and show how far the gas tube protrudes into the upper receiver.  It should be halfway into the cam pin cutout in the upper receiver.  Yours is probably barely touching the front of the cam pin cutout.

2. Bring the gas port diameter up to what it needs to be.

3. Replace the entire recoil system with the Armalite AR-10 parts kit.

Done deal, functional rifle, not harsh recoiling, and eats just about anything you'll feed it.

1 hour ago, Traveler said:

@98Z5V the pictures are already in the above post, and as I said, it's not lack of desire or ability.

After reading through your informational thread, I figured all you just said above, and I like what you put above, it's short sweet and basic. Well done!

My apologies, I didn't even see the diagnosis.  I missed that post from you completely.  If there's anything that any of us can do, just say it.  Fight, man.  Fight.

If you want that upper fixed, I'll do it.  I have spare Armalite gas tubes.  Drilling the port is easy.  All that would leave is swapping out the recoil system, and you have something you can enjoy.  I'll take care of the upper and gas system.  Wouldn't need a charging handle, wouldn't need a BCG, wouldn't even need the handguard on there.  Stripped in a box, and it'll be on the way back to you right away.  Think about it, and if you want, I'll get it done...

@98Z5V that is a great offer and I appreciate it greatly!

I'll think on it a bit and if I don't, or decide not to work up a trade on something, I'll message you and work out the details. Thank you again so much for the offer!

If you choose to take @98Z5Vup on his offer to fix the upper, I will donate a functional recoil system to you so you can have a smooth running rifle.  I bought some a while back for future projects that have not appeared yet.  PM your address if you are interested.

@Traveler  These guys are serious!  @98Z5V is a fellow Vet and is probably responsible for getting more 308 ARs fixed than all the companies that make them combined.  This place isn't your run of the mill gun forum.  Its more like the Rec. room at the back of the house where buddies go after a huge meal to shoot the shiit, drink beer, and burp, while we talk about anything gun related.

50 minutes ago, dpete said:

@Traveler  These guys are serious!  @98Z5V is a fellow Vet and is probably responsible for getting more 308 ARs fixed than all the companies that make them combined.  This place isn't your run of the mill gun forum.  Its more like the Rec. room at the back of the house where buddies go after a huge meal to shoot the shiit, drink beer, and burp, while we talk about anything gun related.

I'm getting that! 

I was just up in Grafton WI officiating a wedding of a Marine I served with for many years. Have a plan to go up to Melrose next fall for deer season at another Marine brother's place, this AR will go if they are allowed in WI.

I'm getting that! 

I was just up in Grafton WI officiating a wedding of a Marine I served with for many years. Have a plan to go up to Melrose next fall for deer season at another Marine brother's place, this AR will go if they are allowed in WI.

I live in wisconsin and ARs are definitely legal for hunting with no magazine limit for deer and minimal caliber of .223. Every year I see more and more ARs since I hunt public land. Probably close to about 1/3 of the rifles I see in the woods these days. 52B9D928-3A6B-4A91-B696-E855AB797DBE.thumb.jpeg.4834a54dc45b7ac92690524e57b9330e.jpeg0DEE6FE9-1777-4F2C-8F11-128AE6BA931B.thumb.jpeg.9b72359c722427c9c9d2454d55e9a937.jpeg
Two different wisconsin deer with two different ARs, one in 6mm arc and one in .260 Remington.

7 hours ago, ARTrooper said:

Two different wisconsin deer with two different ARs, one in 6mm arc and one in .260 Remington.

What did you think of the two calibers, against each other?  I know that .260 bang-flopped that deer...   What's your impression of one versus other?

You're the only guy I know that's taken a deer with each one...   :hail:

6 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

What did you think of the two calibers, against each other?  I know that .260 bang-flopped that deer...   What's your impression of one versus other?

You're the only guy I know that's taken a deer with each one...   :hail:

I have taken 6 deer or so with the .260 using 120 gr nosler ballistic tip hunting bullets. Only one deer needed a second shot, not sure if it was a need, but I felt like I made the error and pulled it. 

I have shot 3 deer with the 6mm arc now using hornady 103 gr ELD-X. The last 2 of those deer I shot twice because the first deer I shot once I almost didn’t find because the bullet hit a rib and fragmented enough that it didn’t exit. Though the lungs were mush, it was still able to go a lot farther than I want. Sure enough, two more bullets didn’t exit, one on each of the other two deer. 

I was so upset with the first deer I looked into hornady’s ELD-X and they have actually stated officially in videos that it is mad to dump its energy very quickly causing a lot of internal damage, but is often found just under the skin on the far side of the animal. Your basic cup core bullets that only hold like half their mass after impact. With the steep and sometimes thick (due to a swampy area in the valley I hunt) I want a good exit wound spurting blood if that animal doesn’t drop immediately. 

So I don’t think the 6mm ARC is lacking in capability, I think it is lacking in good hunting bullets that will hold 90% or more of their mass and creat a full pass through almost every time. I want to try loading 95 gr barnes LRX and try them. Even my .260 Remington I am going away from cup core bullets. I just bought 200 rounds of nosler 129 gr accubond long range, which are bonded bullets and should give me a lot better terminal performance. 

moral of the story; i believe if you hunt deer and similar animals with anything, whether it is .223 or .30-06, you are better off using a bullet that will maintain as much weight as possible and give you that exit wound which will leak a nice blood trail and lower the animal’s blood pressure quickly. 

sorry for the rant, hope you guys stuck with me though 😉

38 minutes ago, ARTrooper said:

I think it is a great choice for most fast moving cartridges. Not so sure about slower velocities though. 

The 110gr  tipped triple shocks made for 300blk are supposed to still open down to 1400fps.