• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Small Base Dies

james heathcock

Hello all, first time poster here from southern New Mexico.  I recently purchased my first AR10 very pleased with it, great shooting rifle length gas gun.  Have been reloading for over 10 years for mainly .308's and several AR15's not to mention hunting rifles.  I've always had to use SB dies for the for the AR's including my AR10 which is no problem.  But I've read other posts on various sites where other individuals were able to load with regular dies?  When ordering extra tool head, powder hoppers and all the things needed to load on my Dillon 750 I asked the representative with Dillon when it came to dies if I needed SB dies his reply was no.  Well I did need them rounds would not properly chamber so I started sizing with SB dies.  My question is it a "tight chamber" or what.  I started to ask manufacturer of rifle to send me reamer print, I normally order or at least look at prints before I order reamer for my bolt gun builds.  But just curious why some can get by with their match die and some can't really the only thing I'm missing out on is the bushing for the neck.  Never to old to learn!  Thanks James 

I built my Lr-308 with Faxon chambers and have been reloading for it.  I just use the standard rcbs full length sizing  die and have never had feed problems with the brass sized by it.  I did try a Forester Bushing Bump neck sizing die and it definitely didn’t work.  I was trying to only bump the shoulder of the case and resize the neck only and I had a jam on the first round.  Never had to use a small base die for my .308.

I wonder if the use of range brass makes the difference?

SB dies exist for a reason and IMO that reason exists for a base that's too large to chamber. A semi-auto has virtually no camming power to force a too large cartridge into the chamber, so it must fit correctly. I don't want any mistakes in that regard that could sideline my firearm. 

So far I only shoot competitively and not when lives are on the line. But even there I don't want my shooting to end for the day or screw up a stage and then go find a safe table so that I can fix something that never should have happened. Toward that end I no longer use SB dies but something even better that sizes the range brass from immediately above the rim. A die doesn't reach down that far.

http://casepro100.com/products.ydev

I still run my brass through a sizing die to decap, but the actual sizing happens in the Casepro.

I started this post by stating that SB dies exist for a reason. That reason could be to make $. But I've had some range brass go through the Casepro and I could feel additional resistance in some of the brass going through it. I don't remember if it was 9mm or the .223 family that gave that added resistance. I've never had a cartridge fail to chamber due to oversized brass before or since using the Casepro. But that doesn't prove that what I'm doing is the correct thing to do either so maybe I'm going overboard. 

Thanks for the reply's no big issue using SB dies just curious.  I didn't mention on my earlier post I chose to size on my single stage press rather than sizing on my progressive press, has nothing to do with my post just thought I would throw that in the mix the rest of the process is completed on my Dillon.  Think for what it's worth I'll call and see if manufacturer could email reamer print.  Another learning curve is loading LC once fired brass, during initial load development I had to settle on a very conservative charge with lapua palma brass now with LC it's even more conservative.  I'm in the process currently of load development with the LC brass and two different bullets, the 150 fmj hornady and 168 sierra match king.  Have no regrets backing off on powder charges "more bang for the buck".  The original load development I did with lapua brass yielded very good accuracy out to 800 yards, I expect no problems duplicating these results with lake city.  Thanks again for the reply's.

On 1/8/2023 at 12:12 PM, BrianK said:

SB dies exist for a reason and IMO that reason exists for a base that's too large to chamber.

Sb dies are for reloading, and shoot the same load across multiple rifles.  Example, I have one 5.56 55gr "range-trash" load - training ammo.  It'll go into a million different guns, with different chambers.

Use the SB die for that instance.  That's the only reason the SB dies exist. 

6 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Sb dies are for reloading, and shoot the same load across multiple rifles.  Example, I have one 5.56 55gr "range-trash" load - training ammo.  It'll go into a million different guns, with different chambers.

Use the SB die for that instance.  That's the only reason the SB dies exist. 

Why not use a regular base sizing die?

I did try to size with my Redding type s full length die would not feed properly.  So started using SB die and no problems, my redding dies are mainly for my FTR rifles and to be honest didn't really want to use those dies for my AR10.  I might be wrong but I set my shoulder bump for my gas gun at .005 my bolt guns .002.  I have a set of Lee dies that aren't dedicated to any rifle yet might give them a shot, wouldn't think .003 difference could make a difference but will find out.  Thanks for the reply's will update.

2 hours ago, james heathcock said:

I might be wrong but I set my shoulder bump for my gas gun at .005 my bolt guns .002. 

Good plan on the bolt gun - it'll always chamber that way.  You just running one gas gun right now?  If that's the case, measure fired brass with a comparator, see what the measurement is, and set your die to bump that one back 0.002".  Less work on the case shoulder that way, instead of bumping it 0.005".  Sounds like you're already doing this, if you know the gas gun bump is 0.005". 

If it's just one gas gun, bring it to 0.002" so you work that brass shoulder less.  :thumbup:

• 4 weeks later...