• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Stupid question time, are all bolt parts interchangeable between an AR10 and an LR308?

Asking because I own both and would like to start stocking for both. So far I have firing pins for both but would like to start getting other critical parts like assembled extractors, complete bolts (not the entire BCG, just the bolt itself and not the bolt carrier), and gas keys.

Best places to look for and buy from? I've already got gas rings and cam pins so I am set on those as well as retaining and firing pins. 

Thanks in advance.

Maybe.. Quick answer is what barrel make you intend to shoot.. the Ar10 is actually Armalite but has Been generalized for 308 style rifles. LR 308 is a more (now) common pattern made by a dpms platform.  These are two different types of tools. Make and model by manufacturer is required.  

Edited by sketch
Shits

14 hours ago, sketch said:

Maybe.. Quick answer is what barrel make you intend to shoot.. the Ar10 is actually Armalite but has Been generalized for 308 style rifles. LR 308 is a more (now) common pattern made by a dpms platform.  These are two different types of tools. Make and model by manufacturer is required.  

No offense, but was I not clear enough in the OP?

I intend to to shoot everything that has already been shot by me, weird question really. I intend to acquire parts for the AR10 that my Armalite is, a true AR10 made by Armalite using the Armalite barrel that they installed at their factory and that I have already put 1,600 through, with their Armalite upper and lower receivers, that their Amalite BCG is riding in. I also intend to shoot my already shot by me over 2,000 rounds LR308 from JD Machine that uses a Nemo LR308 specific chambered barrel with a DPMS made BCG .

Maybe I did not make myself clear. I know what an AR10 is and isn't. I also know what an LR308 also is and isn't. I own both and want to buy spares for both. What I don't know is if I buy something like a complete bolt and not the carrier, or an assembled extractor, will they be okay for either or or what should I get for the AR10 and what should I get for the LR308? This is more than just asking about upper and lower fitments because an AR10 upper will not work with an LR308 lower and vice versa. I also know that if the headspace isn't tight then I will have accuracy issues and would like to avoid this. Criterion goes into detail if asked why it's important to not have an AR10 bolt on an LR308 chamber.

When they say AR308 style or AR10 in the descriptions, they can be a bit misleading and I have caught this before more than once. Such as when looking for a free float and saying AR10 yet it's more than plainly obvious that it's for a higher DPMS profile. So I am asking in hopes that maybe there are people on a large frame discussion board who would have the right answers possibly as I have exhausted my own problem solving right now.

Edited by Tropic Lightning

9 hours ago, Tropic Lightning said:

No offense, but your original post in this section is the wrong place to ask it.  This section is pretty clear, and it's definition is clear:

Compatibility, Troubleshooting and Frequently Asked Questions. This Board is "Read Only"

This section used to be Read Only, and it was much better back then.  It's for published information that helps people get their gun running.  It's not titled "What you need to know" - because you have a question about something that YOU want to know about.

Hopefully, this whole thread gets moved someplace where it's more appropriate.

Yes, the bolt dimensions are different, and I mentioned something along those lines.  Find the thread here about the differences.  I can't remember where it's at, but it's a goldmine of information.  The search function is your friend.  Thanks in advance.  :thumbup:

On 3/2/2023 at 11:20 AM, Tropic Lightning said:

I intend to to shoot everything that has already been shot by me, weird question really. I intend to acquire parts for the AR10 that my Armalite is, a true AR10 made by Armalite using the Armalite barrel that they installed at their factory and that I have already put 1,600 through, with their Armalite upper and lower receivers, that their Amalite BCG is riding in. I also intend to shoot my already shot by me over 2,000 rounds LR308 from JD Machine that uses a Nemo LR308 specific chambered barrel with a DPMS made BCG .

Maybe I did not make myself clear. I know what an AR10 is and isn't. I also know what an LR308 also is and isn't. I own both and want to buy spares for both. What I don't know is if I buy something like a complete bolt and not the carrier, or an assembled extractor, will they be okay for either or or what should I get for the AR10 and what should I get for the LR308? This is more than just asking about upper and lower fitments because an AR10 upper will not work with an LR308 lower and vice versa. I also know that if the headspace isn't tight then I will have accuracy issues and would like to avoid this. Criterion goes into detail if asked why it's important to not have an AR10 bolt on an LR308 chamber.

When they say AR308 style or AR10 in the descriptions, they can be a bit misleading and I have caught this before more than once. Such as when looking for a free float and saying AR10 yet it's more than plainly obvious that it's for a higher DPMS profile. So I am asking in hopes that maybe there are people on a large frame discussion board who would have the right answers possibly as I have exhausted my own problem solving right now.

Don't worry about it. I missed your intro also. I've slept since.  We as a whole, have some shits ,some answers, and you can find it ^^^ 

19 hours ago, AngelDeVille said:

Well if the op wants to act like a cunt, he can figure it out hisseff..

Your perception is off, are you projecting yourself into me right now? I asked an obvious question that more than speaks that I am not new to this game, and was treated like I've never done this before and had to correct this person who has since apologized. Yet you're here to add nothing of value other than to instigate for no valid reason other than just because.

Huh, you really did project.

And it's *himself.

On 3/5/2023 at 9:06 PM, Tropic Lightning said:

Your perception is off, are you projecting yourself into me right now? I asked an obvious question that more than speaks that I am not new to this game, and was treated like I've never done this before and had to correct this person who has since apologized. Yet you're here to add nothing of value other than to instigate for no valid reason other than just because.

Huh, you really did project.

And it's *himself.

Look, right here, this is simple. One person asked you a question, and your reply was quite a bit dick-ish. 

Here's what you stated, exactly:

On 3/2/2023 at 12:20 PM, Tropic Lightning said:

Yeah, that's a complete dickhead reply, right there, from you.

Generally, we don't like people that need information, then turn into dickheads, when they're either (A) not "satisfied"  inside the timeline that they EXPECT information, or (B) don't like the information that they're given.

We tend to treat those people the same way they've just treated others.  You are seeing that now.

At this point, you have a couple choices.  You've already been given the answer, you just need to find it.  I directly told you that there were differences, and I directly told you that there's a VERY detailed thread about those differences, but I don't remember where it's at...

You can continue down this path of butthurt, and lashing out at people, and it's not gonna end well.  You can 180 on the attitude, and stick around...  Your choice.

No matter which way you choose, just know this:

Edited by 98Z5V

I didn't need to be corrected. I needed clarification. But as said ,I see you have  been abused. I would offer my time and help If you clearly want it. But naw you know better.  Figure it out. My non apologies for trying to help. 

You got this!

Tomorrow is a new day. 

Pay your bills says Chris Rock.  

I swear every time I say something , it's the wrong thing to say to such people.  Can I pic em or what? 

Well this escalated beyond any explicable reasoning as to why. I asked a simple question and got treated like a fool, insulted, and then a tl;dr for real rant of verbose that had F all to with my original question in the OP itself and so was rightfully scrolled past without a even a glimpse after the first several words

Thanks for your internet services of anything but what I had originally asked. Thankfully there was at least one who suggested buying a spare BCG of each so there's that at least.

You can lock the thread, arfcom 2.0 GD is not exactly a place for me either.

Edited by Tropic Lightning

On 3/7/2023 at 2:21 AM, Tropic Lightning said:

Well this escalated beyond any explicable reasoning as to why. I asked a simple question and got treated like a fool, insulted, and then a tl;dr for real rant of verbose that had F all to with my original question in the OP itself and so was rightfully scrolled past without a even a glimpse after the first several words

Thanks for your internet services of anything but what I had originally asked. Thankfully there was at least one who suggested buying a spare BCG of each so there's that at least.

You can lock the thread, arfcom 2.0 GD is not exactly a place for me either.

*yawn*