• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

1903 Colt Refurbishment

StarWolf

Several years ago, while I was helping out at my friend's gunshop, I was offered a little Colt 1903 that had belonged to an employee of the shop under the previous owner. The price was pretty reasonable so I picked it up. I've shot the gun on a few outings and it's fun but the inside of the barrel is a bit rough. I've been looking to pick up a barrel either used in better shape or new if available. I have seen some barrels at Gun Parts and Brownells listed as New Colt Mfg but they always seem to be out of stock and reviews have been mixed.

U.S. Armaments Corp. made some copies of the 1903 and have had barrels and other parts from time to time. Last year I was all set to buy a new spring set, a couple mags and a new barrel when they went out of stock of everything I wanted to pick up.

This past week several of the bits and pieces I had planned on picking up started dribbling back in stock and selling out just as fast.
I managed to get what I wanted on order although it took three orders and a side invoice to finish the 'in the white' barrel.

It may be putting lipstick on a pig fitting a new barrel, springs, grips and mags to this well used pistol but I'm hopeful it will be worth it.
The Colt 1903 is a fun little gun. It is a bit outdated, under powered, and heavy compared to other options but it is a very solid classic.
I have a Sig P238 and a Ruger LC380 that have more power with less weight and about the same size and the Ruger has a LC9 conversion kit that kicks it up another notch. I have a couple Springfield EMPs that aren't much bigger or heavier that hold 9 rounds of 9mm and a couple Kimber CDP Ultras that throw almost 4 times as much lead with each shot at the cost of being a bit thicker.
As a result I don't see myself choosing this 80-ish year old gun as my primary weapon but it is still better than a sharp stick in a pinch.

Colt 1903 As acquired.jpg

U.S. Armaments Corp. did an excellent job of getting my orders out to me.
The first two shipments were in by last Saturday.
The last one with the blued barrel showed on Monday.

Work is busy right now so I haven't started taking down the pistol and swapping parts but in the next couple weekends that's probably going to happen. Pics to follow.

I'm just going to throw this out there, save every pin and part you remove, and don't file/ sand/ grind any of the original parts, frame, slide, etc to make the new barrel fit. I cringe at taking an old timer like that and "Renewing" but if you feel you must then you must.

13 hours ago, Albroswift said:

I cringe at taking an old timer like that and "Renewing" but if you feel you must then you must.

I would pretty much concur with this. I'd, for the most part, leave a pistol like this alone and let it live a life as a safe queen.  Shoot it periodically maybe, but not as a regular.

I tend to be pretty conservative in working on them.

I've brought back to shooting shape a Browning High Power that someone had butchered into dangerous.
At some point after the 1903 I'll be swapping some parts in a CZ52 pistol that currently has a second trigger in the stupid decocker that should never have been.
I need to fit a new stock to a Browning BAR that I picked up about six months ago with a shattered wrist. The period variable scope and Lyman tip off mount have got to go. The scope no longer holds vaccume and the tip off mount looks like it was never correctly fitted. I'm thinking a new EGW mount and a scope that still holds pressure.

None of these are collector grade and having them functional is more important to me than maintaining a all original but not real useful and possibly dangerous relic.

• 1 month later...

The parts look excellent.

The barrel is going to take some fitting. I haven't looked into what exactly needs to be done but
based on initial inspection the rear lugs on the barrel need to be trimmed down on the sides slightly to start. Once I get that to stop binding with the slide I'll see what else 'sticks'

Not going to happen soon.
The move and the new job is going to take some major effort.