• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Camping!

Traveler

Glamping - whatever you do and call it.

Taking a four day trip up to Elkin, going to listen to a local band Saturday night (I hope they don't suck) and otherwise enjoy three full days of idle-ness. This is a down and dirty trip, just need to get away from the responsibilities of home and associated bullshyte.

I'll post pictures of this quick trip, then maybe follow with past, full blown two week-at-the-lake setups.

Now this is us two weeks at "the lake" - Kerr Lake - huge, VA and NC. For the past 6 years or so, we have done two, two week pack outs to specific lake side sites, we tend to camp with two other couples, we trade cooking chores, always have dinner together, sometimes late breakfast together, Mickey and I usually go out on the water at @6am and fish(?) till 9. He fishes, I enjoy the peace.

site 37.jpg

Here's some of the food from last weekend.  Kelly (you Fall Shoot guys remember him) made 5lbs of shredded Prime Chuck, and we went after it with the sandwiches.  Kenny and Shawn provided all the sides.  Lunch that wanted to put you to sleep.  Kelly even made his home made apple pies, which rival his cheese cakes, as far as "badass Chef" goes...

IMG_1191.thumb.JPG.9365b4214f8d31ea0428bd7c2eb9c496.JPG

The fixin's...

IMG_1192.thumb.JPG.da314c7c45b8226eff3cde32e0343197.JPG

The "Food Tent..." 

IMG_1193.thumb.JPG.9fae9bc401fd436c16762170fc6141fe.JPG

Here's the apple pie - even with ice cream, in the desert... 

IMG_1194.thumb.JPG.1744cf724f7e414bf8d3879804a1fc17.JPG

Sunday night, I fired up the Arkansas Beef Casserole in the 14: dutch oven.  @JBMatt lovingly calls this the "Alabama Possum Stew..."  

IMG_1195.thumb.JPG.2a4521f98dec8c353708007e8561362e.JPG

At 68 I'm all about 'glamping'! Here's my rig;

rig.thumb.jpg.20b7e4564f66e4c9fc5c6444ce056c4c.jpg

A friend of ours took us to this site on the Mimbres River a couple of weekends ago, it's about an hour and a half from the house and we definitely plan on camping there later this summer. No way we could get that 5th wheel in there, but we have a little 20' Prowler and a portable generator for places like that.

nortstar.thumb.jpg.4c5b25f2e995ef9d146404770f818d8a.jpg

9 hours ago, 392heminut said:

but we have a little 20' Prowler and a portable generator for places like that.

That thing is badass, brother.  The renovation you did is amazing.  You gotta put up some pics of that camper.  I love that thing.  

15 hours ago, 392heminut said:

... we have a little 20' Prowler and a portable generator for places like that.

nortstar.thumb.jpg.4c5b25f2e995ef9d146404770f818d8a.jpg

That little spot on the river looks like perfection!

The big rig is home away from home :banana:

My wife and I bought a new pop-up in 1999, bump out dinette - it was great, especially camping in tight spaces along rivers and creeks. I could always bull it around to face the way we wanted it to face so you KNOW we always walked outside facing the water!!

One weekend in NJ (Memorial Day 2000 I think), the heat index was 115 and humid enough that we needed Draeger's; that was all it took for her to decide she wanted A/C and less outdoor take down. We ended up with a 33' Layton for a number of years - ducted A/C was a lifesaver at the time. 

Nowadays I like to sit in my OZTent Gekko chair, coffee and pooch and just watch the surface of the lake as everything begins their day or ends their night. Blue Herons are some outstanding hunters!

19 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

That thing is badass, brother.  The renovation you did is amazing.  You gotta put up some pics of that camper.  I love that thing.  

I don't have any pics of it! :embarrassed::bitchslap:

I guess I should take a couple the next time I get it out. Shouldn't be too long, the fresh water tank is leaking. I need to pull it out and either try to plastic weld it or buy a new tank. We're hoping to paint the outside of it later this summer.