• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

OK, here is another need advice on a scope thread

Finishing up my Mega Arms monolithic build and need to pick my glass soon.  Here are the main parts: (pics under 308AR manufactures/Mega Arms)

Mega Arms Monolithic upper/lower

JP polished Low-mas spring

JP 22" medium contour barrel (Blk Teflon) w/large tac comp

JP Enhanced bolt

JP low-mas bolt carrier

JP adj gas system (low profile block)

JP Ez trigger with 3.5 lb spring

I live pretty close to a 1000y range and will be doing the majority of my shooting there.  I am trying to stay under $2k with the mount.  So far I have really only considered NF (because I have read such good things and American....except the glass) and found what I think is a pretty good deal from a reputable dealer.

Nightforce 5.5-22x56mm, NPR1, .250 moa w/ ZS and high speed turrets, shipped with sun shade and flip ups for $1725.00 (NIB)

or

Nightforce 5.5-22x50mm, NPR1, .250 moa w/ ZS and high speed turrets, shipped with sun shade and flip ups for $1550.00ish (NIB)

I am pretty sure that the scope is powerful enough without being complete over kill.  So the million dollar question..... good choice if it were your rifle?  Also, will a 56mm scope mount without and extra adapter on an adapter?  Mount recommendations for either of the above scopes.

Thanks in advance.

Cal

Finishing up my Mega Arms monolithic build and need to pick my glass soon.  Here are the main parts: (pics under 308AR manufactures/Mega Arms)

Mega Arms Monolithic upper/lower

JP polished Low-mas spring

JP 22" medium contour barrel (Blk Teflon) w/large tac comp

JP Enhanced bolt

JP low-mas bolt carrier

JP adj gas system (low profile block)

JP Ez trigger with 3.5 lb spring

I live pretty close to a 1000y range and will be doing the majority of my shooting there.  I am trying to stay under $2k with the mount.  So far I have really only considered NF (because I have read such good things and American....except the glass) and found what I think is a pretty good deal from a reputable dealer.

Nightforce 5.5-22x56mm, NPR1, .250 moa w/ ZS and high speed turrets, shipped with sun shade and flip ups for $1725.00 (NIB)

or

Nightforce 5.5-22x50mm, NPR1, .250 moa w/ ZS and high speed turrets, shipped with sun shade and flip ups for $1550.00ish (NIB)

I am pretty sure that the scope is powerful enough without being complete over kill.  So the million dollar question..... good choice if it were your rifle?  Also, will a 56mm scope mount without and extra adapter on an adapter?  Mount recommendations for either of the above scopes.

Thanks in advance.

Cal

Ya can't go wrong with the two choices . The difference between the 50 & the 56 will be field of view & light gathering capabilities, being the 56 will have the higher numbers than the 50.

Same magnification on both scopes . You may want to check another forum that deals with very long range shooting to get some tips on which they all prefer.

The 56 mm objective will make you think about a scope mount & clearance ,  give Larue a call , I'm sure they have some thing & will help you chose the one that best fits your needs.

Both scopes are top of the line in my book , I too , can't afford one . ( well I could ,but can't justify the price, but I'm not shooting 1K yrds.  )

I think you will be happy with the x50. The 56 will give you a little bit more usable elevation and windage at extreme elevations. However not much. The extra light from a larger objective might not be noticeable since the tube size is the same.

Also factor in eye relief if it is different between the two.

Try seeing if American Defense Manufacturing (ADM) makes a 1 piece scope mount that will fit it without a riser, if not I would mount  a 1piece riser to the rail and use the scope mount on that. I would try to get risers that secure with allens and locktite them. Then use a qd mount on that.

calegalish and I had a PM conversation, and I warned about the 56mm possibly needing a riser under the scope mounts due to clearance issues to the picatinny. I'm pretty sure there are options for the 50mm without a riser, using just high scope mounts. The 56mm is where I was unfamiliar.

Has anyone here mounted a scope, on their AR, with an objective larger than 50mm?

FWIW, the documented FoV between the 50 and 56 is the same. The only difference i could find between the two is .2" or .3" eye relief... Which is not important if you have an adjustable PRS stock.

I called LaRue this morning and spoke with Luke.  He assured me that the LT111 mount would leave plenty of space between the  scope and rail.  Great customer service at LaRue.  Now I just need to decide between the 50 and 56. I am leaning toward 56 but I don't know why... decisions decisions