• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Robocop1051's 14.5" Dissipator 300 AAC Blackout

Robocop1051

I guess that means it must overhang the Mega lowers, kind of like the DPMS .308 uppers do, correct? I understand that many believe that the thicker uppers increase the rigidity of the rifle and action, over that of a forged AR 15 upper, but is there any other reason besides cosmetics that they make them thicker than their standard billit uppers?

By the way, that LOKI barrel looks really nice, can't wait to hear how it shoots. If you don't mind me asking, is the $285 price I see in one of you pictures, the base price or the total with the fluting?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It overhangs a little. I have the billet lower, designed to match up with this upper. It doesn't look that bad at all. It does look a little funny when I put it on a standard forged lower. The lines don't match at all. I really don't see any reason for making it so thick. In fact, I wish it were as thin as a regular upper just to cut weight. Slick side uppers are still pretty unpopular. Not many options available out there.

LOKI sells their fluted .300Blk barrels for $300. I was able to finagle a 5% discount over the phone (although I'm sure the fact that I called while at work helped a bit). The guy helping me was AWESOME and super helpful. He asked me to wait on the phone while he searched the stock room for this barrel. He came back and informed me it was THE LAST ONE... I tacked on a few more bucks with shipping/handling. We handled the whole transaction in a few minutes. He BS'd with me about random topics while we went through the ropes. In the end he promised me a confirmation for the shipping. I had the confirmation in my email within 24 hours.

I really hope this barrel shoots as well as it looks. The melonite treated stainless barrel is so smooth. I feel dirty when I touch it.

I haven't ever ordered a fluted barrel on purpose, simply because they usually tack on an additional $100 (at least) for the service. I only got my fluted Noveske because they didn't have a non fluted and gave it to me for the non fluted price. The fact that you got a fluted, melonite treated barrel for that price sounds like a steal. I've been waiting for the Rainier Ultimatches to become available, and was thinking I'd get it melonited, but now I'm thinking that I should see how soon LOKI expects to have some more of these, in stock, I think I'm going to have to give them a call this week, Hurry up and finish this thing, I need a range report !!!!!!!!!!!

Update:

I have decided it is going to be easier (and possibly more reliable) to finish this build as a DI rather than the piston. It also will save me about $200 <thumbsup>

I'm ordering a WMD NiB Full Auto BCG from Brownells in a few mins. Just gotta pick out a lo-pro GB first.

• 1 month later...

Ok guys. She is 99.99% done. Just a few tweaks and touch ups and she'll be shooting.

Got the LOKI barrel headspaced with a WMD NiB Full Auto BCG. Had a PRI railed gas block modified to fit and clear over the BattleComp BABC. There is a YHM clamp on lo-pro GB hidden in there, with a melonite carbine gas tube.

Thanks again to SurvivalShop, for helping me out.

Here is my 14.5" 'Dissipator' 300Blk!!!

66e23a5b.jpg

ebae87a4.jpg

40a81687.jpg

I haven't tightened everything down yet. So you don't need to point out my BABC is on sideways.

Rob, that is one sweet rifle.  <thumbsup>  VERY.  :o

I was initially gonna build a 300BLK that looked alot like the issue SPR, and that rifle turned into...  a 5.56 Mod 0 SPR.  It came out so nice that's it's gonna stay just like that, but I'm struggling with build an "almost-duplicate" 16" 300BLK on one of the upper/lower sets that are sitting here. 

The 5.56 gun turned into this:

MyMk12Mod0.jpg

I need one of those in 300BLK.  :o

You are not a good influence...  <dontknow>

Nice job brother Rob,looks good.You guys,yea you Tom crack me up <lmao> <laughs> <thumbsup>

I do what I can, brother...  :o  I'm still trying to be a one-man economy stimulus package, through the firearms market...  <lmao>  I do manage to buy enough at once to still qualify for my own "group buy..."  <laughs>

He's killing me with stuff like this, though...  ;D

Hey Kettle, you're black!

<laughs> <lmao>

rifle looks very clean with that slick side upper, looks good on the Mega lower. This is your first 300 build, correct? You'll have to tell us what you think of the rd, and how you like that LOKI barrel, I'm thinking I need to give them a call and ask about a 14.5 for myself. The only explanation I can think of is mob mentality, I'm not usually so easily influenced!

I'm only a bad influence because Tom instigates everything.  <laughs>

Yeah, right - like lemmings off a cliff...  :o <lmao>

I suppose you'll drag Roger into it at this point - even he has blamed me...  <laughs>

As a conspiracy theorist, I can't help wondering if 98 and Robocop go over their posts together before posting on the open forum, in order to have the greatest impact on those of us of weaker moral character, that are easilly influenced (like me apparently).  Kind of like a timed coordinated attack?

Jgun, if you think it's bad now, wait until after October!...  ;D

edgecrusher and Robo will be down in my area for some festivities during that timeframe, and it can only go downhill from there...  <laughs> <lmao>