Robocop1051's 14.5" Dissipator 300 AAC Blackout

Robocop1051

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I waited a month for back ordered barrel...got antsy and ordered the ARStoner barrel ...no complaints, no regrets ...nice machine work all over.chamber included..fit tight in DanDef upper..haven't shot it a lot but it hits where I point it.....at about 60 % cost of other makers barrel.....ARStoner is Midway brand name..read they are made by Shaw.....I'd order another Stoner barrel without hesitation..

post-552-136297272745_thumb.png

• 2 weeks later...

The Rainiers don't appear to unclude the gas block or tube. I see that Rainier's also got 14.5" Noveske barrels for $450 including the GB and tube. I'm thinking that puts the price of the Ultimatch within $30-$40 of the Noveske's depending on GB choice. I think that if going for that price range they're close enough that it becomes a matter of personal preference.

• 3 weeks later...

There is about one inch of exposed barrel in front of the handguard cap. That's all I will have to play with. As for weight. I believe the Magpul is lighter, but this build was more about ergonomics for me... And to be the first!

Not only am I making a Dissy... On a 14.5" barrel... I'm also making a hidden piston!

The configuration looks as though it would be a really perfect carbine for a LEO. I know I'm really partial to the 14.5" guns. Not sure if I would go shorter for an all around multi use carbine, even if there were no NFA considerations. Of course that my be more self serving than fact simply because SBR's aren't legal for civilians in my state. I've got to say, my 14.5" .308 is by far my favorite AR. I have found that I'm able to consistantly hit 12" steel plates at 200M with it, using an unmagnified mini red dot. The 300BLK carbine may become my new favorite over the .308, once I've put a 14.5" 300BLK upper together, but that remains to be seen.  I also have found that I prefer the full length rail/hanguard on the 14.5" guns, wish I had done that with all of my short AR's, don't know if I'll ever get around to going back and switching out my shorter rails though.

I put a bid on a cheap BABC this afternoon. If any of you jerks swoops my bid from "that auction site" I'll kick your dog >:D

Imschur is trying to trick me into a 14.5" Noveske barrel before the 14.7" Wilson Combat gets back in stock.

Actually my concern is that the way parts are becoming scarce you wont have any options soon. The frenzy has begun.

Personally, I would have gone with 6.8 SPC but that's just me. Last I checked, price was about the same and at least in the Sacramento area, I've had better luck finding 6.8 ammo. If .300 Blackout becomes a truly mainstream cartridge, I may consider it. I like the idea, just not as much as other things.

It IS nice to see you trying out gas pistons. My only experience with a gas piston AR is the Addax ZK which is a state-of-the-art piston system so I am not sure how it compares to other piston systems but I have to say that for all the negative things I've heard about piston systems in the AR platform and their alleged effect on accuracy and stability, I have yet to see a shred of evidence to back that up. On top of that, they really do run very clean. The Addax runs outstandingly clean even compared to other gas piston rifles. From what I understand, the Addax ZK differs from other gas piston systems in metal grade, finish, piston tolerances (where piston meets bolt), bolt carrier (uses it's own design) and a pocket on the piston housing that extends dwell time and delays the movement of the action, so I would imagine a regular piston system would run just as clean. My ZK has over 200 rounds through it and I have yet to clean the gun since I've owned it simply because there's nothing to clean. And I mean nothing.

Pistons DO add quite a bit of weight to the gun but not as bad as one might expect. They're allot like an "out of the box" AK-47 with synthetic furniture in terms of weight.

Anyway, good luck and I look forward to shooting with you this summer.

• 2 months later...

That sucks. I'm going through the same thing myself. Been waiting on a pre-order of an Addax Tactical .308 lower receiver for 3 or 4 months now. They are apparently having issues with the machine shop who's suppose to be making them and having to rethink it all. In my case, I'm willing to wait it out. I waited a year longer then expected for my Addax ZK upper because Addax kept having limited supply issues and parts manufacturers who didn't make the parts to Addax' standards. But when I finally got the ZK, I quickly noticed that; on top of it's unique gas piston system, every mm of the upper was made correctly and to spec, while every other AR-15 I have seen the inside of so far had some flaw that limited it's performance, reliability or durability. I've heard that the lower receiver's quality is not that big a deal but my experience tells me otherwise, so I am willing to wait it out with Addax again just for that peace of mind.

With your barrel, I don't know what is the correct move. Just keep in mind that right now quality AR parts seam to have more demand then supply and Wilson is a long standing company with a good reputation.

Wilson Combat barrel order is officially cancelled. It's too bad, I was looking forward to dealing with them and using their barrel. They were real nice and easy to talk to throughout the process. No sugarcoating or BS'ing. They called it as it was, and were upfront from the beginning. Stellar company and employees.

On the bright side, I was FINALLY able to contact "LOKI Weapons Systems". I forgot who exactly it was I spoke with, which is a damned shame because the guy was AWESOME! He was able to located one last .300 Blackout barrel in his shop that measured the much desirable 14.5". This is a stainless match grade barrel with full length fluting. The price was a bit steep, but still affordable, and MUCH cheaper than a Noveske or AAC barrel. I gave the man my CC number right then and there, and he advised that he'd get the barrel in the mail ASAP.

I love when business works out like this!

PS. If you do decide to call LOKI, leave a message on his machine. I made five calls no answer, just a voicemail. I left a message on the 5th call,and he called me back soon after. Damn me for not leaving a message on the 1st call.

Looking forward to hearing how this barrel works for you. I was interested myself, unfortunately, I've made a promise to myself to stop buying gun stuff with my CC unless I've got the cash on hand to back it up, which has seriously  handicapped my gun building, Damn I hate being responsible. Best of luck with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Whoa baby!! LOKI came through big time!

I came home to a nice little brown package on my door step. I was so excited I could hardly stand it. I photo documented the whole unveiling.

Lots of packaging to get through... I have only a vague idea what the barrel is going to look like.

c61d271b.jpg

First layer off. I'm very impressed.

c6122d20.jpg

Next is SEVERAL wraps in foam...

e49d2a35.jpg

Oh baby! Come to daddy!!

686fd9f8.jpg

8746d0ac.jpg

e886af1d.jpg

394d3cfe.jpg

The finish is very slick and smooth. I'm impressed with the craftsmanship. The laser engraving is adjacent to the barrel extention. The fluting is perfectly symmetrical. It is surprisingly light weight. The threads were extremely clean and well done. I tested my BABC and it fits perfectly. If I can find where I put my gas block I might be able to get started on this!?!?

Here she is mounted on my Mega Arms slick body billet upper. I almost hate to cover her up, but I have a rifle length MOE handguard ready to mount as soon as I get home.

549d1a22.jpg

PS. Yes, that is my handcuff key. It is actually a very efficient tool for lining up the delta ring with the barrel nut.

If your gas and cyclic rate is timed correctly, you shouldn't be hitting your deflector at all. My 5.56 middy piston AR ejects about 4' directly off my right hip. A perfect pile all day long.

Deflectors are great if you're shooting full auto and/or ripping casings out at lightning speeds, but they're really only a benefit for the southpaws. I won't have the added protection of the deflector, but I'm not left handed either, so it's not really a necessary protection for me.

The Mega Arms "SBU" (read: Slick Body Upper) is a LOT thicker than the standard AR-15 uppers. The ejection port is so thick, that the edge of the port may very well act as a deflector by itself. I'll attach a picture showing the difference of the wall thickness.

post-189-136297276348_thumb.jpg