• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Robocop1051's 14.5" Dissipator 300 AAC Blackout

Robocop1051

OK, ever since I started playing with "black rifles" I wanted to make a .30 cal AR. I have a .308 that has been WORK IN PROGRESS for over a year as I wait on some custom parts fabrication. Recently I finished an AR15 build from scratch. It was my first build up from parts, and it was my first piston build. I'll post pics of that later in a more appropriate area.

Originally I had plans to create an AR that shot the 10mm Auto. The lack of parts and magazines and the cost of 10mm became too much of a hassle for me. Next I deceided on the 7.62x39 cartridge. I was turned off by the rumors of fragile bolts, weird magazines and the lack of barrel options from credible manufacturers. I still wanted a heavy caliber battle rifle that was as reliable as an AR15, but wouldn't cost me an arm and a leg to make and shoot.

When the 300BLK came out on the market I scoffed at the idea of building a wildcat rifle, fearing the cost of ammo would never make sense of the build. The 6.8 SPC and the 6.5 Grendel were eliminated due to the cost of ammo, and of course needing new mags and bolts again.

Now the 300 BLK is becoming a mainstrain load and really taking the market by storm. I really want to see this round reach maximum popularity. It had all the features I looked for in a round. I can use standard AR15 parts and magazines, and still fling a 125gr lead weight out the end of my barrel.

I can never build anything "normal" though. I have to push some kind of boundry. So I have come up with a kind of different approach for this new project. I like to draw up my ideas a bit before I start wrenching on bolts. I'll put a build on paper 10 or more times before it actually takes off. Here is a little peek at what I am starting...

300BLK.jpg

A little weird I know... and nothing is set in stone... But parts ordering has started and building should be underway soon.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I like it, Maybe you can list some of the parts choices? I'm wondering if (since this is a rendering) some of the parts I see depicted are just generic and not any specific Manufactureres part? I recognize the Magpul handguard, but not the muzzle device, aren't you partial to the Battle comp? I was also wondering what barrel your planning?

Am I correct, that the GB area of the barrel is not an accurate representation of the actual configuration? I think your going to find the 300BLk to be a good cartridge. I know your .308 build is destined to be a real lightweight, but I think you will find that without getting exotic, the small platform 300BLK build will be lighter AND more nimble than your .308 AR, and that is as it should be, because the 300 is an intermediate cartridge while the .308 is a battle rifle cartridge, with recoil to match, and benefit's from a little more weight when trying to shoot it fast. Isn't the Magpul handguard a non freefloat? I don't know to what extent this is true, but I hear that freefloating the barrel is helpful for accuracy. One of the things I enjoy about this forum is getting to see people such as yourself, trying parts combinations that are not just a copy of what 20 others have already done. I think it motivates the rest of us to "think outside the box". I look forward to seeing the finished product and hearing your range review. Good luck with it.

The picture is not 100% accurate by any means... It's more of a guide. I'm not the best drawer, and the options available to draw with were limited to me.

As for barrels and barrel devices... I do like the battlecomp, but for a 300 BLK I would need another BABC and I'm not excited about another $175+ comp. Plus the BABC is really long, and I'd like to keep the length under some control here. I think I am decided on the new Daniel Defense CHF barrel, their pre-installed low profile gas block, and their new .30 cal comp.

Hopefully more to come soon... Payday is around the corner

I love it, Robo - this one is gonna be nice.  Not like the other one isn't - you know what I mean...  :o <laughs>

When I finally get off my ass with my 300BLK, I'll be setting it up on Mega billet upper and lower, and making it look like a Mod 0 SPR.  <thumbsup>

Just curious, I see you mention that your trying to keep the length of the gun down, but you say your going with the DD barrel. I took a look on their site and although they  look like good barrels, I only see a 16" 300BLK barrel. Does Magpul offer a shorter handguard that would allow you to go with your pictured configuration, with the site mounted on the PRI GB but using a 14.5" barrel?

The midlength MOE, maybe.  You can't fit a rifle-length handguard and the front sight into a 14.5" barrel - it comes up too short, when you're trying to get a Dissipator look to it.  Gotta be a 16" barrel.

Here's how my .45 AR turned out with the rifle-length MOE and the clamp-on front sight base - it's almost right at the end of the barrel:

100_0192.jpg

So the planning phase his a snag. I called DD and they said no barrels till May or June. That sucks!

Now I'm looking at the Wilson Combat 14.7" barrel with the BABC again. I'll have to do a car/mid dissy if that's the case.

I have another in the works right now that will delay my 300. I'm building a lightweight Colt for my father.

This is the one I'm talking about. I'm going to try to pick one up when back in stock, I'd like to build a minimum length, non tax stamp upper.

shopwilsoncombat.com/Wilson-Combat-Match-Grade-Barrel-300-AAC-Blackout-Recon-SR-Tactical-147-1-8-Twist-Stainless/productinfo/TR-300RCS14/                   

Cool.  <thumbsup>  Not saying this against you two (Jgun and Robo), but alot of people don't know that those are two completely separate companies, that have nothing to do with each other.  I knew you guys know that - I just didn't know which one you were talking about.  :o

Robo, there are 3 WC barrels that aren't sold out right now, brother. 

Robo, there are 3 WC barrels that aren't sold out right now, brother. 

I actually clicked on all three and their status changed to "out of stock" due back in stock late Feb to early Mar.

While I'm not turned off by the ER Shaw barrel, I'm definitely turned on by the Wilson Combat idea. After buying my carbon fiber barrel, I can't justify the expense on a Noveske or AAC. The last choice would be the CMMG, which I'm not fond of at all.