• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Zumabob JD Machine Build

zumabob1957

I didn't mean for things to blow up like that. I don't care where you choose to buy your toys. I just don't want one oops to blow it for a dealer. Mega Arms has stated that the prices are not to be posted publicly. If we break that rule then we risk Mega stopping this deal.

To jump on the bandwagon... Dave Bransen is one hellofa guy. I have bought several pieces from him. I have seriously started thinking about do a small side business building for LEO buddies. Dave would be my go to guy for nearly everything.

Well my bad about potential pissing off mega, lord knows I don't wanna do that. I really am going to get at least a lower from them, and through Dave. Oh man I want one of their Monolithic uppers too, but.....

I wasn't thinking of Dave when I did that, just my new friends here in this little sub forum, anything else didn't enter my mind. I have emailed Dave of my intentions to finalize an order from him and requested final details.

But I am struggling with should I get the GTR-3H which is specific to use with Mega AR-15 upper or get the GTR-3S which is designed to work with most any other AR-15 upper. I want to build one around the Remington 300 BLK, I dunno why I just do  <dontknow>  LOL!!!

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We all have to get along and support are state local gun suppliers and  manufacturers (CAlifornia). I got frustrated with JDM but they have great products, they are California and they are nice people. Keep buying those lowers. I am buying a few of each 223 and 308 lowers.

Yeah, and I've talked crap about that too but i know when they come through I will love it. Like I said somewhere here before I am impatient, I am so excited to get this thing built because I think it is going to really be a performer and something special to show off, you know... I've wanted to do this for a very long time and now that i have the opportunity I don't want anything in my way. Oh well yes i am impatient and i shouldn't be. I look forward to giving them high marks on their quality and by the time they come to the next show in S.F. i will be there to show off too them how awesome it is with the JP inside their JD, if only with pics, I dunno can you bring your firearm to the show with you? I wish they knew already how I ended up going with this. By the end of Friday 3/9 I will have everything to build it minus the upper!!! All I can do now is  <lmao>  LOL!!!

It's all good. Dave's free time has to be getting scarce these days, he's probably going to have to purchase a warehouse here soon.... <dontknow>

Yeah, & I just firmed up with him on a deal, ready to do my part and send him something now  :P

I have to say he earned it. He responded to all my questions quickly. I felt like maybe I was dragging it out too long with all these questions i had but he never got frustrated with me or didn't show it anyway. I'm just getting a lower from him right now. Later I'll get the upper & what not from Dave. My daughter is going to have a nice MEGA AR-15. Nobody but me here in my house knows about it yet though,  :cookoo:

Guys'

I made it to the show on Saturday. I got there at the tail end so I didn't have to pay for parking or for the show. I really would not have cared if I had to 100.00. I wanted my completed upper. Its looks great. The quad rail is a bit longer than I wanted. So cutting the barrel down to a true 16". Its all together and it look great. Hope to shoot it tomorrow. I also picked up a GG & G  bipod. I cant wait to use it on both ar's.

JD upper & lower

Vltor dark dessert tan butt stock

Rainier Arms 16" barrel

SAmson 13.2" quad rail

Ergo grip

Tangodown Stubby vert. forehand grip

Vltor long flash suppressor

Pmag 20 rd Mag

DPMS Bolt assembly

JD low pro gas block

DPMS 308 lower parts kit

Slipped out to the gun show when wife was taking a nap. My friend said I was a dumb ass because it was a test. He said I would be paying for it somewhere down the line.

Was not able to shot today. Bought a Bore Snake today so I'm ready to break in my barrel. Can anyone tell me why we have to break in the barrel? I was told to shot one round and oil with a Bore Snake and repeat.

Hey everyone,

Got good news and bad news. Bad news is the 308 cycles anywhere from 1 to 8 rounds and it jams. The worst thing is my very expensive Samson quad rail fell apart on me as I was shooting. I hope my 308 guy well back me on this.

The Samson quad rail is very nice but when I brought it home and checked it out I discovered the weak link. There is a small stainless steel pin with a detent spring that goes into a small hole in the aluminum. So just a couple of shoots on my new bipod the bit of metal snapped off. I wish I knew how to show Nofail and the rest of you guys the poor design.

How in the hell would something like this ever hold up in serious situations

The good news is that it fired. Its not perfect yet. The power of the 308 is great. Makes my ar15 feel like air soft gun.

Nofail have you got your stick out yet. Hope you had better luck than me. You have had your run of not so good luck.

Nofail,

Glad you asked. To start every casing is getting pinched on the out. So every casing is not quite making it out before the 

bolt moves forward. When it jams  I think the bolt isn't moving all the way forward. The guy at the range said the cheapest way to eliminating the problem is a buffer spring. Then go to the next expensive item. The last may be a mass bolt. HELP

Thanks Bob

I showed him the bolt and he was surprised how heavy it is.

I'm hoping the Slash's CAR 10 heavy buffer with the Armalight spring will do me some good. I'll find out sooner or later. So I don't remember, do u have the JP LMOS bolt carrier too? I'm thinking that was you. If you do do you have the adjustable gas block? What is a MASS bolt carrier, is it just a regular one? But yeah a heavy buffer with spring should do u a world of good me thinks. Slow u down on the way out and slam u back in harder is what I envision that thing doing for you. But I'm by no means any kind of expert whatsoever, ya know......

Nofail,

I have the old two ton Tessie DPMS bolt. I wish I would have known about the low mass bolt sooner. If all else fails I well buy one. Sal explained the principles of the low mass bolt compared to the  regular bolt. It makes sense. I'm going to try your suggestion.

Someone said that I should try to cut the buffer spring and see what happens. What do you think ?

Yeah, Slash's CAR-10 heavy buffer & the spring is $111 I believe. But I got Slash's CAR-10 XH which is $137 with the spring  :o        The more I read the more money I spend. I bet I gots one of the more expensive builds here  :cookoo:

I gotta get this thing finished, I can't tell you that this combo I have will work good  <dontknow>

But Magpul recommends the CAR-10 for use in their UBR stock so I just went and got it without considering it's viability with the JP LMOS. It should be okay after all, but I'm just a worry wart.

"Old DPMS bolt"? Is that an older one than the current DPMS? You should be good with current one. With the normal size bolt it holds inertia that is good for carrying the momentum in the cycle. It is tried and true when everything else is up to par. From what I have read a heavy buffer and proper spring will cure a lot of issues with these AR's timing. I think you might need to slow your action down with different buffer set up. Again I ain't no expert and urge you to seek out proper council. In fact I hear that if you call this guy, Clint (Slash) Butler (419) 299-8821, he can school you a lot.  <thumbsup>

Mike

The more I read the more money I spend. I bet I gots one of the more expensive builds here  :cookoo:

I know how you feel there. I splurged on a SI Defense stainless steel, NiB coated, carrier with the shot-peened, NiB coated, bolt. Then I dropped another grand on a carbon fiber wrapped barrel. I have about $1500 in just those parts alone. I saved all my receipts, but I'm afraid to add them up in fear of what the final answer is.

Yep Robo, I started a spreadsheet in Excel. I need to some more data entry on it again, haha, but I have that same phobia right now. It's got to be over 2500 and I'm not done still. With scope I want and a few other things I think it will approach 4k

Nofail,

Thank you for the  advise. Is is all trail & error . Which make it interesting. I'm not going to sent you a bill if this doesn't work.

You didn't give a option on cutting the buffer spring  that I have to see if there is a change.

Why are those buffer spring so expensive?

Thank You Bob

Nofail,

I have been playing with my 308 on & off today. I loaded the pmag with 10 rounds and cycled it by pulling the charge handle and letting bolt slide forward. If I did it quickly I could eject all 10 rounds. Sometimes 15-20% it would jam. I dont know if the bolt didn't have enough momentum or the round was getting stuck on the ramp. I say that because all the casing are scratched . Could I have a mag problem ?