• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Zumabob JD Machine Build

zumabob1957

That right, I do need to get a scope mount. Or I can duck tape it to the upper. They do make black duc tape. Haha.

Bob

Its never ending.

Here is some review of the new SWFA I will get, Bob. Much more scope for the money, I think a .308 deserves at least this much more in optics power, and the new retical is awesome for use with the FFP (first focal plane) capabilities.  http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3064954&page=1

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe I shouldn't be hooked on Trijicon. Nice scope.

Talked to Samson today. The guy was very helpful. He knew what the problem was right away. There was a batch that was sent out that had the same problem. To make a short story longer they are going to take care of it. I have to send it in. I dont know what the turn around is going to be. Im taking it out to see if the problem of cycling and jamming is solved before sending it out.

Bob, you should get what you want for a scope. That's why we build our own anyway so we can have everything the way we want, not what some gun maker wants to sell us. But I had a feeling if you compared the 1-6x I want and the Trigicon 1-4x you might see a big difference in value. They say spend at least half as much on an optic as you spent on your rifle. I can't spend that much now, spent too much on my rifle alone. But then this new SS 1-6 came along and I think it is a optic that will compete with new 1-6's coming out too that will be in the $2000 price point area. And when they do their group buy over at snipershide.com we'll get a great bargain probably with mount & rings, perfect for me right now.

What is a R.T.S.?

Nofail,

R.T.S. is Rapid Transition Sights. Surefire and Dueck Defense makes them. They are off set sights . I tried them out today and had fun with them. Also took the 308 out and it work perfect. I used 147gr, 150gr. and 168gr. Kicks pretty hard so I maybe  talking to Slasher sooner than I thought.

I used the sights on my ar-15.

• 3 weeks later...

Shoot alot of different ammo through the ar308 and it worked great. The gun is not balanced. The quad rail is to long. I thought of cutting a couple inches off the rail. That would look like crap.

Im back at the drawing board. Going back to a 9" quad rail with a high raise gas block. Also I am cutting off 2" the barrel. That should lighten up the front. 2" off barrel and quad rail.

Anyone out there interested in a Samson 13" quad rail ?

Yes I do have a 2-1/8" Vltor suppressor. My barrel is @ 18". I would like a true 16" with a 10" to 11" quad rail. Daniel Defense and Samson Makes a 9.2" with a hp gas block makes it about 11". Just like I wanted but listen to someone else. My fault.

As to the bigger buttstock. I love my Lewis Machine and Tool. Its tight, simple and looks good. There is just too much weight out front and too much rail. I might not use a high profile gas block. I can use the low pro thats already there

Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

So it's a flash suppressor I thought u meant sound suppressor.... I not thinking straight....

But still why is it all that heavy? I thought you got one of the Rainier Arms .308 16" barrels the heaviest of which is 2 lbs 7 oz. My 16" barrel is 2 lbs 7oz. I gotta tell you I am very happy with how light my rifle feels. It is fairly balanced too but I have the heavy UBR stock too. And I have a 14" hand guard but it is pretty dang light also. I just mounted a new Harris bipod and still it doesn't feel over weight up front at all!!

How does yours feel without the hand guard on there?

How does it feel

i agree with no fail, i think we are both advising against cutting the barrel. the ubr is a great stock and will help to balance the rifle.

my pws was front heavy with the flashlight, i decided to lose the moe stock and forget about overall weight and balanced it out with an acs, and filled the battery tubes with cr123 batteries, and it fells much better now. the barrel itself is really not all that heavy at 2.7lbs, compare it to others. i don't think you're going to lose much weight by cutting an 1.5" off, maybe that 7 ounces, but what damage will incur?

Yeah Bob me think if you cut it you will find you won't notice any difference anyway. I agree with Edge. I would keep that hand guard you have and put the dough in a new stock instead. Of course I am going to recommend the UBR since I live it. Somebody posted somewhere about a crash test they did with numerous stocks, dropping them from a ladder at 6'. The UBR was the only one that survived and they dropped it numerous times. They tested some of the other Magpuls too including the PRS and the all broke, except for the UBR.

Nofail and Edgecrusher,

Thank for the suggestions. This site has been very helpful. For now I am going to take my ar308 with a new Car-10 buffer and spring. When Fred handed the Car-10 my thought as was his, not much for 120.00. Compared to the old buffer its quite heffty. I am going to have a AR-15 and a AR-10 with all the best parts. Its may take some time because of resources (MONEY). Quality not quanity

Oh so u did decide to get Slash's buffer and spring. I bet u notice some good things. And yeah 120 for that & you wonder why. I guess the proof will be in the pudding....

So does this mean u will not cut the barrel, I take it?

Oh yeah I forgot to mention also I just added JP thermal dissipator to my barrel and still it feels good, dissipator thingy doesn't way much but still....

Edit: wanted to mention about my bro in laws SR25 with 24" bull barrel. Now that thing is fkg front heavy and I don't like it. Shoots like a sumbitch bu no good to me for hunting or such, it's a fkg anchor you know? I've been telling him when he sees how accurate mine is he will want to get a 16" barrel for it. I hope I'm not talking out my a$$ because I haven't shot it yet. Waiting for the

Final Finish bullets I ordered last week for break in. I have loaded some cartridges using Nosler and Hornady bullets and cases though for after break in. For starters I'm going with 168 gn Hornady A Max bullets and 168 Nosler Balistic bullets. Using Hornady Match cases with the A Max bullets and Nosler brass with both A Max and the Nosler bullets and see what happens. I'm using IMR 4064 43.5 gns. To start.

Only the best for my ar-15 and ar308. Nofail do you know anything about triggers ?

I didn't notice a big difference with the car-10 but my son did.

I like the way you have worked slow and smart on your build. I have been a bit to hasty in my build. My Samson came back with the little piece of medal that keeps the rail from turning, broken. So I tighten the crap out of it and it slipped forward a bit. So tonight I tighten it again even tighter.

Bob I dunno what to say about your hand guard, except that sucks...... Now what about trigger? Well I dunno much about triggers, I installed mine no problem but I don't know how to tweek them or anything like that. I like my trigger but I wish it could be lighter. It's 4 lbs pull but it is not advised to be any lighter on a semi auto .308. 

Bob I dunno what to say about your hand guard, except that sucks...... Now what about trigger? Well I dunno much about triggers, I installed mine no problem but I don't know how to tweek them or anything like that. I like my trigger but I wish it could be lighter. It's 4 lbs pull but it is not advised to be any lighter on a semi auto .308.

There are plenty of 2lb triggers out there on .308 ARs and no complaints about safety or reliability. If you need a better trigger to shoot better, don't sell yourself short.

There are plenty of 2lb triggers out there on .308 ARs and no complaints about safety or reliability. If you need a better trigger to shoot better, don't sell yourself short.

Oh well I spent $256 on mine already. We'll see how it does. Hmmm my trigger kit did come with a lighter hammer spring I could try later. I think it's a 3-3.5 lb spring for the lighter recoil AR15's.

Thanks Matt

• 3 months later...

Good news, Luis got me a 9.2" Samson hand guard and I gave him my new 13" . Cut 2'' Off the barrel. Got my ar308 just how I want it. I'm getting a scope next and I'm done. I'm very happy with it . Thanks  guy for all your help.  Maybe a trigger down the line.  By the way my  car 10 makes no difference  in performance.