• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Scope comparison Q

Good evening gents,

Recently I decided to build a .308. So far I have the lower built which I used a Panther Arms for. Bought a Magpul MIAD and a Magpul UBR , some pmags and now Im just waiting for my Fulton 22" upper which Im told will be on its way in about a week and a half. Now I need a scope and being a college kid, there isn't 1000 big ones laying around for some real good glass so I have compiled a short list of what I have in mind. If anyone has any experience with any of them, or has heard anything positive or negative, some feedback would be greatly appreciated because Im kind of going in circles at this point. Again, I know there are better scopes but please don't suggest something out of the price range that these sit at. thanks again.

Wonder Optics 4-14x50 Tactical

Falcon Menace 4-14x44 Tactical

Nikko Stirling 5-20x50 Target master

Hawke 4-16x50 Sidewinder

Millet 4-16x50 TRS-1

The picture is what I have right now, figured id upload this thing as it comes together.

post-1754-136297274084_thumb.jpg

I deff appreciate the responses. I have been looking at the fixed 10x SWFA but didn't know if that was enough magnification for the distances I would like to shoot. I was also Looking at the Nikon's which I really like, the price tag of over 5 for the M-308 is a little much right now but now im thinking I should just save up for another month and spend the extra couple hundred for it, Im sure I wouldn't be disappointed

General rule of thumb is 1x per 100yds, granted this won't give you the same performance as say 20x at 50yds, however it will get you hits at decent speed.

What are your requirements?

Will this only be used for shooting at targets? If so a high magnification will be more beneficial than a lower setting used for hunting.

Personally I would steer far far away from the cheap chinese scopes listed in your OP. For a great value, you can get a Leupold or Nikon lower mid range optic for under $300. This will give you a 3-9x suitable for hunting/plinking up to 7-800ys.

For about the same amount a fixed 10x SS can be had that will give you great performance out to the same ranges however it will take you longer to acquire targets and would be about worthless for hunting applications.

You could opt for the lower end of Leupold/Nikon/Bushnell/Millet for around $100-$200 and while not as good might serve you well.

Also bear in mind the cost of a quality mount (ADM/Bobro/GG&G) will run you up to $200 or so. If that is out of the price range, use a quality set of rings instead of a cheap mount.

In my opinion any of the scopes you listed will not repeatedly hit the ranges you are looking for, the cheap off-name scopes will lose zero under the 308 load if they are even able to be used effectively at the distance to begin with. It costs money to shoot between the 500 and 1000yd marks accurately and repeatedly. It's just the way it is.

Thanks for the welcoming unforgiven. Timing, I completely understand what your saying. This will just be for target shooting I dont plan on doing much hunting here in southern Cali...:-(, maybe when I return to PA but that wont be for awhile. Would it be worth saving up for another month or so and buying the Nikon M-308? I know right now it comes with a mount but I also dont know the quality of that mount. Whatever I go with I would like it to have an adj. magnification(about 4-14), turret parallax adj. and thats about all really. You mentioned a Millet and iv read and heard pretty good reviews on their TRS-1, whats your take on that one?

Hi Btate    My thoughts are save your money till you can get a quality scope....as for quality in a scope...thats a big ol can o worms <laughs>  Ive got two Nikon Monarch  6x24x50's with side focus and bdc on both of my 308's...all we do is shoot steel at up to 500 yds.. and the scope does really well with these old eyes

I did a lil research for ya on the new 308 Nikon,and I think I would rather have the one I have...also you can get the 6x24x50 for a lil cheaper if you shop around. Another thing is that with all the ballistic apps for smart phones, its better than having the reticle calibrated for one cartridge.The "shooter" app is truly amazing on how accurate it is! ;) Wash

The BDC reticles are calibrated for a certain grain bullets, if your gun doesn't like it your kinda screwed, I feel a mil or moa reticle is much better....I forgot to mention earlier to take a hard look at the Vortex HS line( the PST line is great but above your price range)  http://www.midwayusa.com/product/183567/vortex-viper-hs-tactical-rifle-scope-30mm-tube-5-15x-44mm-side-focus-1-10-mil-adjustments-mil-dot-reticle-matte  Oh and a 30mm tube will usually give you much more adjustment for shooting long range <thumbsup>

Thats good to know, iv heard good things about "shooter" also. I talked to a friend of mine today and he loves his Nikon, says even in super low light everything looks like HD. Hey blksheep have you had any experience with the Vortex HS? I just looked at it, pretty nice also. See, originally I was gonna spend about 250-300, now im already up in the 500 price range and there are alot more options.

I don't have any physical experience with the Vortex, I was recently in the market for a new scope myself and I spent dozens, maybe over a hundred hours researching scopes reading lots of reviews & going over specs. My limit was $1000. From my research I concluded that the Vortex PST line & Weaver Tactical line were the best "tactical" scopes availible for under $1000 , I chose the Weaver because it was cheaper & I liked the reticle better.

Heres some good info... http://demigodllc.com/articles/practical-long-range-rifle-shooting-optics/

Buy once,Cry once <thumbsup>

washguy, did your Monarch scopes come with the target style turrets? These look like real nice scopes but the fact that they had the regular low turrets made me steer away, I was just looking over some other forums and it was mentioned that they can be switched out and some models even came with them, this is looking like a good option for me.

washguy, did your Monarch scopes come with the target style turrets? These look like real nice scopes but the fact that they had the regular low turrets made me steer away, I was just looking over some other forums and it was mentioned that they can be switched out and some models even came with them, this is looking like a good option for me.

Yes they did  ....actually 3 sets...short,large target that had dust covers,and big target turrets that we use on ours...we use the burris pepr mounts...perfect height!  :) Wash

Whatever you pick make sure your setup has enough elevation adjustment for your distances. Also note that the inexpensive scopes do all right for some folks who only adjust magnification once sighted in. It's when you make adjustments for windage and elevation in the field is where they fall down. Many simply do not track properly. There's good recomendations in this thread. If your set on your list the Millet is the only one I would consider.

I read in quite a few forums that around 70-80 MOA is enough to get me out to 1000, could anyone verify this? If not I planned on getting a 20MOA base. I spent alot of time the past week looking at these things, I keep going back to the SWFA's hoping to see and adj one in the 400 price range but only the fixed power ones lol. So I have another list with only three on it.

Nikon Monarch 5-20 (comes with the turrets I want, thanks for the update on those washguy and also the sunshade)

Nikon Buckmaster 6-18 (has tall turrets and sunshade)

Vortex Viper 6.5-20

Im leaning towards the Buckmaster because im sure the quality is pretty good and it has all of the options I wanted for over 100 less than the other two, But 4mm smaller obj, I dont know how much of a difference this would make

Hi Btate    Ive got two of these on my two 6.8's. My Gal

smacks the steel disks at 300 yds with hers. Midway seems the one thats got it instock all the time  ;)  Wash

Nikon Buckmasters Rifle Scope 6-18x 40mm Side Focus Mil-Dot Reticle Matte ....yes has target turrets

If you get a scope with plenty of adjustment you can use this 0 moa mount

http://swfa.com/Burris-AR-PEPR-30mm-Scope-Mount-P12623.aspx

If you need a base with 20+ moa you will spend double on the base so factor that in when choosing your scope. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/958823/american-defense-recon-quick-release-extended-scope-mount-picatinny-style-20-moa-elevated-with-30mm-rings-ar-15-flattop-matte

Good evening once again. Let me first say thank you again to everyone who has taken the time to give me some quality responses its been a great help. I Have a few more questions before I do my final deciding. Im looking at this Nikon Monarch 5-20x44 with the BDC reticle. That model comes with the target style turret knobs along with the short ones so thats a plus. One thing though, this BDC reticle, I heard that its set up to be used at the scopes highest setting. Also, how accurate would that thing be for a .308 round. I know It will take alot of shooting and getting to know the rifle it will be going on but will the BDC eventually be able to be used and accurately. There are are 4 dots and it says for the .308 round you would zero it for 200 yards so those would get you out to 600 yards. So what im wondering is what if im only on 10x, will those dots still be the same value as if I was at the scopes highest setting(20x). Now to this Nikon M-308. I was thinking alot about what BLKSHEEP said about the scopes that are calibrated for certain rounds, which makes alot of sense why I should not go with it. But how far off would say, a 150gr FMJ be from the 168gr HPBT that the M-308 is set up for. Through enough shooting would I be able to figure out some kind of system and compensate? The fact that the M-308 comes with the 20MOA scope base is a plus for me also.

So its between these two I think for sure. If the feed back I get says that the BDC isnt very reliable then I will most likely still get one of the two scopes but with the Nikoplex reticle instead of the BDC. I swear this is the last of the questions lol