• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

450 million rds

Team Helotes is right. The entire alphabet soup is covered by the DHS. Don't look at it as a singular agency, but more of a government budget source. FBI, DEA, DOJ, ICE, Boarder Patrol, even LE agencies, all receive from DHS. 450mil sounds like a lot, until you split it up to 250k officers and agents.

During this economical nightmare, DHS is almost like a Welfare program created by the government. So many federal and municipal agencies that had to make serious budget cuts. Those cuts took away from training and tools required to do their assigned jobs. Instead of food stamps, DHS sends aid in the form of grant money, vehicles, bullets and other tools. One of our K9's was paid for by DHS.

Is that cartridge available to the public? Does it come in different calibers? <dontknow>

Yes and Yes.  The contract is for Federal Premium AST, and it is available in 9mm, .357 Sig, .40, and .45 - as well as different bullet weights for most of those calibers.

http://le.atk.com/general/federalproducts/pistol/tacticalhst.aspx

Although their products are in extremely high demand right now, and you can expect to pay a premium price for them because of it.  You will also have to do some searching to find out who has them in stock - and know that they sell out quickly.

Team Helotes is right. The entire alphabet soup is covered by the DHS. Don't look at it as a singular agency, but more of a government budget source. FBI, DEA, DOJ, ICE, Boarder Patrol, even LE agencies, all receive from DHS. 450mil sounds like a lot, until you split it up to 250k officers and agents.

During this economical nightmare, DHS is almost like a Welfare program created by the government. So many federal and municipal agencies that had to make serious budget cuts. Those cuts took away from training and tools required to do their assigned jobs. Instead of food stamps, DHS sends aid in the form of grant money, vehicles, bullets and other tools. One of our K9's was paid for by DHS.

Ok , so what was there last procurement of ammo in this cal . ? I know most LE went to the .40 ,but that was quit a bit ago  & does the Coast guard use .40S&W ?

How much will this ammo procurement effect how much this co. makes for the rest of us ?

I did some math & with all them "0"s , I may not be right ,but it works out to 90,000,000 per year . Lets take Robo's figure of 250,000 LE & assume they all use to .40 & it comes to 360 rds per LE per year .

Please some one correct me if I fub'd the numbers ,but that doesn't seem bad , I think a little low for training myself .

Now that's if the input #'s are correct & they all use a .40 for service weapon . That's a big IF .

• 1 month later...

Nah the heat with the Black Talons as over the use of "Black" in the name. Federal later released them (nearly identical) under a different name without the black coating or black in the name and nobody cared.

Wasn't it Winchester Black Talons?

Now the Ranger SXT or such?

Jon

I use Win Ranger ammo for duty. I still have some evil Black talons too. They are identical, minus the black part. From what I remember, some idiot mentioned to the news that bullets are designated by colored tips in the military; green, red and black. The black tipped bullets identify the round as being armor piercing (solid core).

Obviously this math doesn't compute to us enthusiasts. How can a hollow point ALSO be armor piercing??? The uneducated masses didn't care. They heard we were buying armor piercing hollow point bullets and they went nuts! It didn't help that rap music was promoting songs at the same time with titles like "Cop Killa".

Shortly after the "craze" hit mainstream, a company released a video of what they called "Black Rhino" rounds (1, 2, and 3). To the best of my knowledge this never hit the shelves. It was more of a, "Hey, look what we can make." This claimed to be the legendary armor piercing / expanding ammo.