• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Grilling

imschur

I am gonna look at getting one of those for my cheap charcoal smoker as an enhancement.

image.jpg

Do it I smoke cheese in the cooler months, gotta keep your box below 90*. I've got people lining up to get smoked string cheese literally. Actually I'm trading my buddies father in law a bucket of fresh mozzarella balls for smoked cheese this fall.

I wanna smoke some sea salt

Edited by shepp

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

yeah, i'm considering looking at other options than the can, but that same basic design. I was looking at my grill and if I want to do it so that the smoker is removable I can use the rotiserrie holes, but i'll need to do something more tray like than pipe like as the vertical clearance on the one side is short and on the other side i'd have to have something supported the whole height. I think Saturday i'll go wander through the plumbing sections at home depot + lowes.

Like i'd like the smoke path to come out the side of it rather than the top, that way the top is openable to add extra wood chips during the cook. I'm sorta thinking about drilling a hole instead, so I can run it with the rotisserie in place. A whole chicken with mesquite smoke and a garlic brine on a low heat sounds really good, but it will take all day :D

I'm looking at using an old stainless stew pot and an exhaust flange off an old mower engine, or a flange from Lowe's bore a hole in the side of the stew pot near the top screw in a 3/4 inch tee and making a vertical smoke jet and running a short section of 3/4 inch flex to the grill box with another 3/4 flange. I have an old CPAP air pump. Just drill the air holes in the bottom of the stew pot set a small tin pie pan inside the stew pot for the chips or pellets and set it on the propane side burner and light the burner real low to make smoke.

I have most of the stuff on hand

I can use a length of 3/8 steel fuel line with a compression ferrel to connect the jet tube in the center of the outer 3/4 " black pipe and flare the outer end for connecting the air hose.

Edited by mrmackc

Silicon tube goes to the "pond airator"

3D257CB3-F410-4B7F-8228-F408D7BAAA80_zps

Pipe threads into the smoke box, in side of the smoker there's a nut like you'd see on an electrical fitting.

AD1CD506-3200-45D7-8861-594A36E3814D_zps

In side about 7/8ths the way down is a screen

7EBAFA11-2B88-48A5-968C-2516DBEB469A_zps

Spring helps air flow

6C74FDA2-D2FB-4599-8AB7-717F1B29A459_zps

Top lid towards the back, the bottom lid had 3 5/16th holes drilled in it also to help air flow

32EAEBFF-1FFC-4BDA-8F6D-C0A59C537E62_zps

When you get a pump get one that you can adjust the pressure on, I turn mine up at the beginning till the chips get going then I back it down so the chips don't burn as fast. 

http://m.drsfostersmith.com/fish-supplies/aquarium-air-pump/ps/c/3578/3669

Get yourself a metal pond pump for bout 20 bill...it will last ...here's what I had to do

I blocked the bottom air vent then attached a needle valved pressure line to it...I give the top pitot  tube all the air it wants...I just regulate the burn in the bottom

I had to do it this way cause my smoker has a fan that makes the smoker have positive pressure inside...the smoke daddy couldnt overcome the pressure...the gang valve is just an engineering mess I never cleaned up   :) Wash

elemental 268 pond pump  all you need is a 2 port gang...regulate the bottom for burn... the air at top will take care of itself

004_zpswnqeftz3.jpg

007_zps5vaha4tg.jpg

go here pump is 18 and yes it comes with that multiport gang valve

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Elemental-Air-Pump-44-127-571-951-gph-aquarium-pond-aquaponics-hydroponics-DWC-/251821992112

Edited by washguy

I've actually got from aquariums a few multi gang valves that actually allow adjustability too. I was thinking of getting maybe a 1 foot piece of this

Aluminum_SquareTube_155.jpg

http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?pid=18021&step=4&showunits=inches&id=1270&top_cat=60

4" square aluminum tube. How tall is the kahanu sized? Not sure If I need to go longer than 1 ft

so there's an air pump inlet at the bottom too. that makes sense. to really blow it around. Hmm maybe I should get steel, at least I can weld the bottom on then, can't really with aluminum.

Kahuna 8" long 4" in diameter  you need a mesh in bottom and also the bottom needs to be removable to get rid of ash...I would make one larger so you dont have to tend it as often....remember at the top there is where the pipe is,but the air is hooked to the pitot tube inside the pipe thats going to smoker  :) Wash

interesting, thanks! i'm looking at maybe getting a foot long piece of aluminum pipe, then its just finding caps for the ends. I might run by goodwill though to see if there are any good pots to use, that's a decent idea too

Look on eBay for stainless steel stew pots the 20 Qt size looks about right for me since I will be sitting the smoke pot on top of my propane side burner to start the mixture of charcoal and hickory, mesquite, apple or whatever wood to smolder that I'm smoking with.

I figure setting the charcoal, chips on a tin pie plate spaced about an inch and half above the bottom of the stew pot with 8 evenly spaced 3/8" holes around the bottom for the updraft air to keep the chips smoldering.

I think the pitot tube jet will draw enough air up thru the chips to sustain the fire, don't want a lot of flow or the chips will flame and burn up. the heated air will tend to rise anyway . I think the idea is to keep the smoke flowing without having it being really hot,  thus the COLD smoke idea.  Am I wrong?

I think you got the smoke daddy design ...you dont need forced air at bottom like i do,but you need air in a pitot tube thats inside the 1" tube attached to the grill/smoker to blow the smoke in and lil holes in the bottom to draw air in to feed the chips..no need for charcoal but that might be the ticket...but you are mostly right on!

Wash

Okay, I was using the process from the Utube video that was posted here except for the paint can and the propane torch used to ignite the chips. I looked at pond pumps from AMAZON  and if my old CPAP pump don't work I will get one in the 20 to 40 dollar range.

Shepp,  What kind of chips are you using? are your pics made after using?

Edited by mrmackc

18 bills on fleabay  element 268 pond pump...all metal plastic with gang...  I use hickory,cherry,alder,mesquite,peach,pecan.....wet em a lil or soak em for an hour

Shepps needs serious cleaning in there...too much creosote ...shame on Shepp...lol   mine doesnt do that as bad cause my piped in forced air in the bottom prevents it somewhat...Shepp clean that out !....lol    carb spray or degreaser....nasty business   lol    Wash

get hi temp hose same diameter as aquarium hose or your $hit will melt

I use oak, hickory, maple, pecan and apple mainly normally buy the webber grill brand ones from around town. The lump coal idea is a good one! I know on the smoke daddy they say you can do that but I've never had an issue

wash I didn't know I was suppose to clean it?!? Lol

• shepp locked and unlocked this topic