• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

CCW class

telluwhat

Don't know about NC.

What AZ's used to be (for 8 hours) was a minimal review of firearms function and safety, a brief qualification, and 5-6 hours of AZ and Federal firearms law.

Under the new law it is ANY military service (other than that resulting in a dishonorable discharge), law enforcement firearms instruction, or NRA firearms safety class.

Jon

What limited I know about our instructor is that he is a former detective for a local city and now works at Duke Energy. He is well known and liked in the community. His price for the class is very low (compared to some others in the area) @ $60 per. I can't wait to take the class. It may be late summer before I can pay the Sheriff his cut for the actual permit for each of us. The wife will get hers first.

In Wisconsin if you've taken a hunters saftey course all you need to do is file the paper work, which I have. I still would like to take some kinda course because they cover the laws of where you can and can not carry but also if you were to have to draw your weapon in defense. My buddy is an instructor for a free class and offered to go over that stuff with a few of us

Just took one in Kansas. Our class had a very brief session on function and safety on both semi auto and revolver formats, then he read state statutes concerning legalities of carrying / brandishing  a firearm. Learned the legal definitions of things like where you may legally carry or not, also learned definitions of manslaughter , murder, ect..... That lasted about 6 hours and was extremely dry. Then we talked about differing scenarios in which one may decide to pull/use their weapon for an hour before heading out to the range. Then we shot 5 rds at 3 yds, 10 rds at 7 yds, and 10 rds at 10 yds. 20/25 rds in the zone gets you qualified.

On Saturday my wife & I did take the CCW class. Generally speaking it covered about the same as everyone else. My instructor was very good and he injected humor to keep everyone tuned in. The class started at 8 am and covered a long list of stuff, we finished up around 6 or just after. The class is required to last a minimum of 8 hours. The instructor had several power point presentations and videos for us to watch & interact with and had a large screen projector. He also had several firearms out for us to view and they were also used in the class as props. I sure am glad to have this instructor as he is very knowledgeable of the laws and also "do's and don'ts" and "should", even though you could legally do something else. Which was to keep a person from having to deal with the headache that would likely follow. in short, don't use a gun unless it is the last resort or if your life or someone else is about to be extinguished. Better to avoid a confrontation if you can. Then it was written test time followed shortly after by the range. Everyone did great on the written test. We fired 10 rounds at 3, 7, & 10 yards. You had to score 21 shots out of 30 to pass. um basically had to hit the black and not the white 21 times. LOL it would be hard not to pass. My lowest hit on the target was in ring 8. The marks to the left, on the last ring and edge of the black were from something coming from behind the target after my 3rd shot. I don't know if it was wood or lead or just what did it? They were not directly from a round but were a after effect of one. <dontknow> either way I passed with a 30. I need more practice to get my grouping tighter and a little higher but it would still hurt a "bad guy". I did enjoy the class but it was hard for me to sit for so long in the chair with my siatic nerve problem, I also had to shoot last because of my lung disease, I am unable to spend too much time in hot, humid air or I would have very serious medical problems. I am glad he worked with me on that.  <thumbsup> Now in about 2 weeks I am going to go to the sheriffs office and apply for my concealed permit. I am still looking for a new pistol for carry. I like the FN seven five but have not yet held one. I am "window shopping" on line right now. It should not be long before I can go see the real thing.  ;D

post-1944-136297276359_thumb.jpg

post-1944-13629727637_thumb.jpg

Good job telluwhat!

Now, don't be like a majority of CCW students here...TRAIN!  Shoot LOTS!  Seek more training, seek dynamic training, run failure drills, shoot one-handed with both hands, simulate injuries.

If you can find someone to train force-on-force with DO IT!

It can and will save your life.

Jon

What improved my pistol shooting was doing it with both eyes open.Started with the one eye closed then right before I let the shot go opened both eyes .I remembered what the sight picture looked like then repeated.Now I just have both eyes open always shooting left and right handed.Left is good [i'm lefty] and right is getting better. :)

What improved my pistol shooting was doing it with both eyes open.Started with the one eye closed then right before I let the shot go opened both eyes .I remembered what the sight picture looked like then repeated.Now I just have both eyes open always shooting left and right handed.Left is good [i'm lefty] and right is getting better. :)

Well done brother unforgiven!

Keep up the good work!

Jon

IMHO, everyone should take a CCW course - THE MOST IMPORTANT ASPECT...  of any CCW course, no matter where it is taught...  local and state laws, on the use of force. 

That's the most important thing they can provide you.  You won't be an expert shot after one of the courses, but you'll know the basic functions of your weapon, or whatever weapons they have available for training (if forced to use class weapons). You'll know the basic safety rules, afterwards - target foreground, target background, safety on the weapon, trigger discipline.

However, if two people live in different states, one can't advise the other on "what is legal" in a self defense shoot.  At least not "defensibly," when it would come to a court case.

THAT is the most important thing you'll learn in a CCW class.  You need to know what's legal, defensible, and justifiable.  All that varies, state to state. 

If your CCW class doesn't talk about reciprocity, from state to state, then ask about it during your class - the instructors don't necessarily have to have all that stuff memorized, but they should be able to pull up references to it all.  That is important information.  <thumbsup>

Careful unforgiven...I've had LOTS of people come to me with "facts" given to them by LEOs, that are WAY off base with current state law!

In AZ (under the old licensing method), anytime and everytime there was an update to AZ use of force/firearms laws, notice would be mailed to instructors telling them what to change.  Despite this, when I've called cops on advice they were giving, pride would rear and they would puff up with "I've been in LE for X-years blah blah."

The main difference is the CCW instructor is held accountable for what they teach in a class, and held accountable for each student's actions until the permit expires.  The LEO/ex-LEO isn't.

AZ in the past not only pulled instructor's certifications from instructors teaching incorrectly, they also invalidate the CCW permits of their students on record.

Other states may vary.

Jon

I hear you brother Jon,person in sherifs dept. was thier shooting instructor,other person was towns L.E.O. they stressed prudence in applying force.Except when personal life was at stake.All said if you shoot shoot to kill.Indiana is PRO gun.If my life or my family is at stake screw the rules I win they lose.

That's good unforgiven!

I still hear old school cops tell people "Shoot 'em in the yard, then drag them across the window sill."  Nothing like a murder charge stemming from an altered crime scene investigation.

And remember...we shoot to STOP the threat.  Because when you get sued for shooting The Father of The Year that volunteered at his church weekly (who just made a mistake!), the jury can live with you shooting to stop the threat.  As soon as you say "I shot to KILL!" their minds see you as blood-thirsty gun slinger.

Jon

Like planeflyer said, you NEVER shoot to kill! You shoot to stop the person from doing whatever it was he was doing to make you have to shoot him and once he ceases his actions you stop shooting. If he dies as a consequence of your having to shoot him then so be it.

Groups like this... are good, but bad...

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=3725.0;attach=4419;image

I had my last CCW instructor stop me when he saw the group getting tight. 

They get called IN on things like this.  Like, into court cases, or making statements in relation to court cases, about particular student performance during said course...

I was told to "open it up a little bit, because the targets and performance had to be recorded."  If I make 'em tight, then I'm trained in "terminating a threat," like is trained for military personnel.  If I open that group up a little, then I've been "passed" in "protecting myself in the event of a life-threatening danger..." 

That's lawyer poop, but I believe in it.  That's peripheral information, in the event of a life-saving situation, for most.  Court case won or lost, means alot in a shoot-for-life situation. 

Don't try to be the baddest bastage, in your CCW class.  Shoot to quailify, not to "win..."  <dontknow>

Tom, while it depends on jurisdiction (and the person in the suit seeking charges), in most a justified shooting is justified...regardless of how tight the grouping is on the bad guy.

The best reasoning I've gotten for opening up groups is more holes=more flows.

I brought up the whole "You used too much force" argument to an instructor that was responsible for our diplomats' safty over seas.  He said if called onto the stand and some <insert unmentionable name here> in a suit wants to tell me I used too much force, I'll tell him and the judge right there "How DARE you!!  That piece of crap scumbag was threatening MY life, threatening to forever alter my family's life!  And you will stand there and tell me I should be maimed or dead because they wanted a quick drug fix?! What gives you the right to tell me my life is worth less than theirs?"

And I believe he would too.

Above and beyond all I try to instill an understanding that people had better be able to demonstrate acting against a threat to their life or serious bodily injury.

And that, even if justified, they can count on a hard time afterwards from a number of other sources.

Jon