• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Range report after 168 Amax and CFE 223 / chrono

NoFail

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmmm, but what is the logic in round robin? What do u learn from it compared to other method of shooting the same 3 shot group all at once at target and then moving up the ladder with next group into it's own target? Doesn't it all come out the same anyhow?

Thanks seasprite...

The way I look at it, you'll find the overpressure point faster, not waste as much time working up through a complete group of loadings for a shot group or velocity, and get down to business quicker that way.  Find the overpressure point, stop at a single round or two (maybe verification of a hot load), and start working the lower loads sooner.

Call me crazy...  <dontknow> :o

Pull the hot stuff afterwards, and load lower than that. 

Hmmmm, but what is the logic in round robin? What do u learn from it compared to other method of shooting the same 3 shot group all at once at target and then moving up the ladder with next group into it's own target? Doesn't it all come out the same anyhow?

Thanks seasprite...

98Z5V has part of the answer with finding your max loading quicker the other parts are your going to spread barrel heating across all groups along with barrel fouling and conditions of the day as the day heats up this will also be spread across all groups.

Round Robin. So you go around once like that and then when you get back to the first target you begin again with the starting, in this case, 46.6 CFE? Do you load for 3 of those Round Robin deals too?

Your going to shoot only 1 round at a target at a given charge weight then when you have gone through your first set of rounds you go back to your first target and start again 1 round per target and so on until you have used all 3 test rounds by the end of the test you should have right around 7 targets with with a 3 round group on each of the targets. Be sure to mark your targets with your charge weight so you don't get them mixed up if your target backer is not big enough to put up all targets at once plus for later review when we try to pick your OCW.

Another thing that I would do is load a dummy round first in the mag then the test round. This will allow the gun to fully cycle with out the bolt locking back after the last test round thats loaded in the mag. As survivalshop said consistency is the key to reloading.

For those of you who want to try this method of development try to keep in mind your going look for the same point of impact across 2 or 3 charge weights and pick a charge weight right in the middle of those. Its not group size that comes later with the seating depth test right now your just trying to find the optimal powder charge weight for your set of components.

Thank you seasprite. There is a lot of great stuff coming from you that I, I think many of us never knew. I like it when Survivalshop throws in too  <thumbsup>

I never loaded a rifle cartridge until my AR308 was born (just .44 mag & .45 Colt). I have yet to shoot good with it. I have this fear that I will shoot right thru a load my gun loves and not even know it because I can't shoot for poop with it yet, and loose that load forever without a clue. Or maybe my loads so far are crap and it makes me think I can't shoot straight  <dontknow>

Thank you seasprite. There is a lot of great stuff coming from you that I, I think many of us never knew. I like it when Survivalshop throws in too  <thumbsup>

I never loaded a rifle cartridge until my AR308 was born (just .44 mag & .45 Colt). I have yet to shoot good with it. I have this fear that I will shoot right thru a load my gun loves and not even know it because I can't shoot for poop with it yet, and loose that load forever without a clue. Or maybe my loads so far are crap and it makes me think I can't shoot straight  <dontknow>

Dry fire is your freind <thumbsup>

I have this fear that I will shoot right thru a load my gun loves and not even know it because I can't shoot for poop with it yet, and loose that load forever without a clue. Or maybe my loads so far are crap and it makes me think I can't shoot straight  <dontknow>

You will know ! The pattern size will decrease and it will feel right : range will be a .2 to .4 gr near max load that your gun can take without pressure signs.

All loading data & field notes should be well documented. It gives you some thing to go back to, if need be .

You should see some of my notes , ( too hot , way too hot , good load , add more powder ) <laughs>

All loading data & field notes should be well documented. It gives you some thing to go back to, if need be .

You should see some of my notes , ( too hot , way too hot , good load , add more powder ) <laughs>

Yeah Survivorshop, I've been thinking about that. I think as I get more trigger time I hope I realize good things to write down. My bro in law has a notebook he records his faves in and even cuts out the whatever group and tapes it in there with pertinent data. As for now I just gots them printouts and you  <laughs>

Question: Lapua brass or Lapua Palma? Do you guys like the smaller primer in Palma? I just need to make a decision, Winchester, Lapua, Nosler or Hornady or what? How about Lake City? But I've found some Lapua or Winchester but all others so far out of stock, I keep looking.......... I know lapua more $$ but it's way better out of box and you get more loadings so it evens out against Win..... What I'm thinking but then again it's a gas gun.... I do have Hornady match & Nosler but those I loaded up awhile ago, why  <dontknow> why I did that.

• 2 weeks later...

About time  <thumbsup> Just got done loading 20 rounds at the 2.815 seating depth. Had to make a trip to Cabela's for more powder and bullets so I'm good for now too. Still contemplating on whether or not I want to go and shoot in 102* temp tomorrow.

That's nice cool shootin' weather here in Arizona!  <thumbsup>  Make sure to get all hot and sweaty before you shoot prone w/o a mat.

Jon