• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

First non AR part in years

survivalshop

Man what a beautiful pair of rifles  <thumbsup>  :strokin: Now I have to clean my computer screen off.

The M1 garand has been on my need to get list for a while but I decided to get the .308 AR instead this time because the antis are always wanting to ban the evil black rifles.

beautiful M1! One of the guys came out to the tactical rifle match on Sunday and shot a Garand in Heavy metal, very well I might add. After the match I asked and he let me try it out. What a blast to shoot, I get a kick out of those enbloc clips ejecting. I'm now on the hunt for one. It will be the first gun in a long time that I'll buy instead of build. Survivalshop, how does yours group at 100?

Ya know , I have not shot her in a while . I put NM sights on her many years ago & they help , but I just don't remember what kind of groups . I have not shot one that didn't shoot well , though.

I will post some targets after I get out to the range next .

And get this , I have had the 1903A3 for over twenty years & have never shot it .

You did notice the org. type "C", non straight line stock on the my 03 .

I'm not knowledgable on the 1903's. I'm just now becoming interested in the Garands. I wish there was some way to see the gun you're going to get when ordering from the CMP. The idea of sending off money and hoping for the best has not worked out well for me in the past with regards to buying guns sight unseen.

The M1903 series are very cool rifles!

At the insistence of the brass, they were designed with a magazine cutoff which prevents the bolt from travelling far enough rearward to pickup a round out of the magazine.  Rounds were to be loaded one-by-one for aimed fire.  The magazine was only to be used if given the command.  Brass was worried about wasted ammunition and the high rate of fire.

Garands are cool too.  The parent rifle of the M14/M1A, Beretta BM-59, the USA was the only army with a standard issue semi-auto at their entry into WWII.

Jon

I'm not knowledgable on the 1903's. I'm just now becoming interested in the Garands. I wish there was some way to see the gun you're going to get when ordering from the CMP. The idea of sending off money and hoping for the best has not worked out well for me in the past with regards to buying guns sight unseen.

The CMP are arsenal refinished or refurbished or could be new & unfired rifles & top notch from what I've seen , but the last one I saw was a long time ago , don't think they have changed  though .

I've been talking to members on the M14 forum, and have heard some different stories. Not sure if your friends bought their M1's years ago. If you or any other members know of anyone interested in selling one in decent shape, for a good price, please let me know.