• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Thoughts on carrying LR308

Magwa

Even lighter options would be an Apex carbine-length freefloat tube no carbine-length for the .308s, but the midlength is sweet, and lightweight. The midlength DPMS-spec handguard is 9.18" long, and would cover a new low profile gas block.  It should weigh very similar to the midlength Armalite handguard, which comes in at 8.5 ounces.  That's damn light.  The grip is awesome in the hand, and I've never used one before I shot Rob's rifle last week.  I'm considering building something else, just to use one of these.

Info:

http://www.apexhandguard.com/

P.S.  I will be contacting our very own Dave Branson (BB Shooting) when it comes time to check prices and order.  He treats us very well.  <thumbsup>

P.P.S.  This is rifle-length on a .308 AR, but it gives you the idea, and an excellent pic of it. 

3738_pd956773_4.jpg

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

EDIT - Disregrd below comment - I thought you meant you HAD to use the A2...

No, brother - don't need the A2 front sight at all.  Swap your current railed gas block with a low profile gb, and install the Apex right over it.  Something like this one from YHM:

YHM-9383.jpg

Ok cool now i know i need to order 300.00 bucks in lawn mower parts... wink! wait xmas is coming ... LOL thanks 98Z5V and all you other brothers who have helped me on this prodject...

and that sight gas block combo only weighs 3.4 oz i know the one on the gun must weigh over 10 oz

No worries, Magwa, and easy fix here.  Really easy.  Run that YHM lo-pro gasblock I listed above, run the midlength Apex .308 freefloat, and mount a flip-up front sight on the end of the freefloat.  Accomplishes the same thing, except for the look.  Give you a longer sight radius, too.  <thumbsup>

so a flip up mounted on the top of the rail will line up with a buis mounted on the rear of the upper receiver? well when looking at the application it looks like the for arm rail and upper rail line up so it should work... down side more parts so more weight now how about the jp A2 sight gas block and the mid length apex and cut out the fore arm my self to fit heck i could cot the length of the fore arm as well

and asked them if they could sell me a carbine length forarm with the cut out for a A2 sight for a DPMS lr 308

Well, brother, write back or call soon - you have a carbine length gas system. 

1) A standard carbine freefloat system would go right out to the carbine-length gas port, and stop there.  Room for an A2 front sight, with a carbine-length rail.

2) You want to add the A2-type front sight.

3) A carbine-length rail is going to go right out to that A2-type front sight, and stop before it hits it.

4) You asked if they could put a cut-out in that.  It's not going to touch it anyway, and a cut-out will leave a hole in the top rail of the freefloat.

5)  You'd probably need a MIDLENGTH freefloat, with a cut-out for an A2-type front sight, at the CARBINE GAS SYSTEM position. 

^^^  That's what you need to ask them if they can do.  Based on the flexibility they've already given, on an option that's not available on their website, I don't think it would be a problem.

Gas systems and rails are not synonymous.  For gas sytems, you can have pistol, carbine, midlength, and rifle (and "intermediate" and a few others, depending strictly on manufacturer of some "non-standard" gas systems.).  Rails don't necessarily follow that. 

Think A2 front sight, like you are - If I have a carbine gas system, with an A2 front sight, and I put a carbine length rail or freefloat on it, then it's gonna be long enough to extend right up to the backside of that A2 front sight, but not touch it. 

I don't HAVE to run a carbine rail or freefloat, just because I have a carbine gas system.  I can put a lo-pro gas block on that barrel, put on a carbine rail (gas block exposed), or use a midlength rail (gas block inside that rail), or longer rail (with gas block inside that longer rail, too.

I'll get some pics up soon, and show you what I'm talking about.

12" Rail on rifle-gas system - doesn't cover lo-pro gas block, just right up to it:

CompletedSPR05.jpg

CompletedSPR02.jpg

12" rail on carbine gas system, with 14.5" barrel - fully covers up the gas block, and the rail extends several inches beyound the gas block:

NewBuild15.jpg

13" rail, overlapping a mid-length gas system, on a 16" barrel:

MidlengthComplete1.jpg

13.8" rail, coming right to the end of a lo-pro PRI gas block, on a rifle-length gas system:

308CurrentMods4.jpg

12.875" rail covering a mid'length gas system:

SpikesBilletMiddy2.jpg

Carbine gas system, with carbine rail, A2 FSP:

100_0035.jpg

Carbine gas system, 9.25" rail (covers gas block):

DDMk18RISII1.jpg

Rifle-gas, Rifle handguards, A2 FSP:

Wood09.jpg

Mid-length gas, mid-length freefloat, A2 FSB - rail comes right to the edge of the FSB (front sight base):

KatieBug.jpg

Tacti-Cat.  He will whoop some ass on a moments notice, despite the "gentle nature" in the pic.  Expolsive power in a small package.  Dangerous...  :o

100_0255.jpg