• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Thoughts on carrying LR308

Magwa

Well Elk season in Idaho is here again and this year i am toting my LR308, using a 2 point sling no buis, just glass and using a pmag with 5 rounds in it .

First impression are pretty good it is heavier than my bolt gun by a couple pounds but carrying it in front up on my chest barrel left(I am a righty) is not bad at all . But now i need to find a different way to carry bino's as they are in the way hanging on my chest, saw three elk day one and 7 mule deer but nothing with horns ,day two no elk just deer one nice buck but had no chance to connect ... but it is horrible dry here no rain in 86 days but maybe some rain this week end then the hunting will get good will keep you posted..

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Will do Washguy rained here all night hooray! but i had 14 stitches installed on my forehead yesterday and will wait till Monday to go back out.

Mag  Hope you're okay....but with all those stiches on your forehead be sure and wear a hat....there might be zombie hunters out there.... <laughs>    just sayin    ;)  Wash

Doc said it was to much sun to begin with lol they had to carve out a pretty good sized chunk of my nogin, but hey i was not using it anyway.... If the human race had to have sunscreen to survive we would be extinct....... keep on truckin ... back out tuesday ...

Doc said it was to much sun to begin with lol they had to carve out a pretty good sized chunk of my nogin, but hey i was not using it anyway.... If the human race had to have sunscreen to survive we would be extinct....... keep on truckin ... back out tuesday ...

Hey Mag  oh crap! I thought you bumped into something....

yep....start using that sunscreen!    feel better    Wash

• 3 weeks later...

Well with 5 days left i got it done elk down.... the 308 dropped him in fine style and i have to say i like the Ar10 for hunting i carried it 12 days elk hunting and with a 2 point sling is was a breeze even though it is a 9 lb gun anyway not the biggest elk but i never have really been a horn hunter but it sure will eat good this winter... I left the black gun out of the picture so i don't have to explain to anyone who see's it why i have a evil assault weapon... lol peace all

sorry the pic is so bad it is my phone and it is raining like cats and dogs

1029120827.jpg

Ok , I am looking at shaving any and all usless weight from this rifle I really do not understand why they have to be so heavy so i will get a good photo of the rifle and we can pick parts to replace...

First off - max range that you'll engage an elk at...  Need that info first, man.  <thumbsup>

max range 400 to 500 yds most shots will be between 100 and 250 same with deer now this gun will be a all around do it all weapon just in case SHTF or heaven forbid everyone one the rez turns into a zombie i need a heavy weapon to go with my light arms and this will be it so i want to trim weight  and get rid of everything not necessary to good function i do not need quad rails etc.. and i am thinking a DMPS carbine forarm in the carbon variety would save some weight , and how about a slick sided upper no forward assist? I am not worried about recoil , how much does the gas block weigh a LB? just looking for practical ideas.. thanks ... lol after 45 years hunting with bolt rifles i reached for the bolt when i shot this elk.... my bad.... :)

DSC0336750.jpg

DSC0336350.jpg

Never, ever, ever - trust a deer.  Never, ever.

Here are three examples that what I speak is the truth:

http://www.break.com/usercontent/2007/7/deer-attack-340115

Don't trust 'em.  Ever.

Magwa, looking at your rifle, there's really only a couple things you could do to lighten it up - it's pretty light already, based on components.  Some type of smaller, lo-pro gas block with get that chuck of a gas block off there, and cut down some "swing weight."  That's a significant "felt difference" out there away from the center of the rifle.  Another thing would be a lightweight rail setup, and the Daniel Defense Lite comes to mind.  You'd lose the delta ring assembly, the ring at the front of the handguard, and maybe lose a little weight that way.  It's also weight forward of center-line on the rifle, again reducing swing weight.  It would feel significantly different, even if it's only 1/2 pound total.  <thumbsup>

Never, ever, ever - trust a deer.  Never, ever.

Here are three examples that what I speak is the truth:

http://www.break.com/usercontent/2007/7/deer-attack-340115

Don't trust 'em.  Ever.

Magwa, looking at your rifle, there's really only a couple things you could do to lighten it up - it's pretty light already, based on components.  Some type of smaller, lo-pro gas block with get that chuck of a gas block off there, and cut down some "swing weight."  That's a significant "felt difference" out there away from the center of the rifle.  Another thing would be a lightweight rail setup, and the Daniel Defense Lite comes to mind.  You'd lose the delta ring assembly, the ring at the front of the handguard, and maybe lose a little weight that way.  It's also weight forward of center-line on the rifle, again reducing swing weight.  It would feel significantly different, even if it's only 1/2 pound total.  <thumbsup>

I was thinking the RRA scope mount weighs probably 14 oz i could go to straight rings that attach to the rail can you point me in the right direction on the daniel defence rail?

There may be lighter option out there, over the "DD Lite" rail, but it's pretty damn good.  You're not running a front sight anyway, so I know you can save some on that big gas block that's on there, and run a PRI, Midwest industries, YHM, or other low profile block.  They're all good, small(er), and lighter than what's on there.

Here's the Daniel Defense rail I'm talking about:

https://danieldefense.com/rail-systems.html?cat=44&rail_gas_system=60

The carbine-length rail setup will definitely weight less than the current setup you have, when you count components - original barrel nut, delta ring, spring, retaining ring, and front handguard ring.  The DD Lite carbine setup comes in at 13.2 ounces.  You won't know for sure until you take off all your parts and weigh them (or find a resource that already lists that weight), but it would be lighter than what you have now.  You might even be able to run the midlength setup, gain a little more handguard space, and come in under, or at, what you're at now (in components).

Here's the DD Lite carbine length pic - it retails (MSRP) for $355, but you can find it cheaper from other online sources:

7.62_lite_rail_7.jpg

Check out the lo-pro gas blocks - they'll certainly be lighter.  I can list the sources, if you need them, but they're mentioned above.