• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Anyone load lead

MikedaddyH

Yes!

But not in gas guns.  Taking other people's word for granted, they say the lube and leading fouls a gas system in a manner that will allow you to fill a dictionary with four-letter words.

I will state that I've seen no reviews of anyone trying gas checked moly coated lead in gas guns DI nor piston). That seems like it may be fairly reasonable for an attempt at it.

Jon

My brother and I shot thousands of lead loads through our M-1 carbines!

Bur, if I didn't strip the short stroke piston and clean it every 400-500 rds, they would lead up so bad that the piston wouldn't move!!!!

Getting the piston loose and out required a procedure I now know to be so dangerous ,I'm not going to even tell how I did it!

Stupid Kids seem to get away with a lot of dangerous stuff.

I wouldn't even THINK of running lead through a gas system, unless I was planning on throwing away the gas tube and replacing it when the gun stopped working.

Respectfully

Terry

You shouldn't let us dissuade you from lead in your manually operated blasters.

Lead is the poop when it comes to impressive downrange killing performance!

Nice wide meplat, nice big hole.

Stories abound of hole-in and hole-out on big game, after SMASHING every bone in its path, with allegedly obsolete calibers.

Jon

It's only real fun if it is a crescent buttstock, that comes to a nice dagger point on each end.  ;D

Jon

Brings to mind my dad's .54 cal Thompson Center Hawken. It's got a gorgeous walnut stock and fine brass decorations and a brass buttplate that comes to nice sharp points top & bottom just like Jon described. Load that sucker up with about 200 grains of black powder and a swaged 500gr slug, and call the ambulance ahead of time, cause' you're gonna feel pain when you send that sucker downrange.

• 4 months later...

Just tooling up for 180 grain Semi-FP GC. .310 size die.

Sould be limited more by the leads velocity restrictions than the weight, so that's one reason for the 180, plus a bit more gas pressure or volume. 

And there is always paper patching if straight up hard cast doesn't work.

I will keep you posted, it is coming.

But I just joined up here, and was glad to see the comments on this topic.

Edited by snowshooze

I'v shot, literaly, hundereds of thousands or rounds through the 1911 .45ACP, and they work great there!!!!!

Also shot lots through SS and bolt guns.  Even shot lead through the old Remington Mod8 recoil operated semi.   Just didn't work well through the gas operated semi's.

Respectfully

Terry