• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Emergency Kit

ces777

In light of the recent hurricane out East I feel compelled to give my two cents on an emergency/bug in-bug out kit that everybody should have.  It isn't a perfect list and never will be as each situation/person may demand a different set up.  However, I hope this will at least give some folks ideas on what to have at the ready for natural or man made disasters. There are some redundant items because this is a list based on how I pack items and some things I want redundant in different packs for convenience/special use i.e. candles, wipes, space blankets, tools. 

I know this is a site about guns - but I hope this message can ride here and help somebody in the present or future!

In my past life, I've been an EMT-B and a National Ski Patrol (NSP) Alpine Patroller.  You can't imagine how badly people wreck themselves in a ski slope.  Broken (upper) back was the worst I've ever encountered, and transported off a hill.  Fucking nightmare, not killing the guy in the transport process, to the bottom of the hill, and turning him over to the ambulance-smashers.  :o

Your emergency kit depends on your skills and training, and your expectations, and your capabilities, and your knowledge, and your will power.  Nothing is certain.

Your emergency kit depends on your skills and training, and your expectations, and your capabilities, and your knowledge, and your will power.  Nothing is certain.

Dude...I am NOT carrying around a fuckin' field pack on top of all my other gear!  <laughs>

My first aid philosophy goes hand-in-hand with my rations philosophy:  if the Boy Scout Handbook covers doing it in the wild with minimalist provisions, I don't need to hump it.  Don't believe me?  Look at my gut.  <lmao>

When I first had combat first aid (I think that's what it was called in the mid '80s) in the Navy, there was little that hadn't been covered in Boy Scouts' first aid.

My daughter and I use that hand book for reference quite a bit.

Jon

Which version of the BSHB do you have? I've still got my 10th Edition lying around somewhere, but the 11th edition was worthless by comparison. They cut out all the useful outdoor stuff.

9th Edition, 2nd printing. 

I'm sure what they have now doesn't have anything about trapping or improvised weapons.  I should ask the next time we do a firearms qual for them.

Tom, I'm on so many lists now does it even matter anymore?  Bible-reading, Ron Paul supporting, sovereign constitutionalist veteran that eats bacon while shooting and says we need to hang anyone with or seeking a job in Washington D.C., or who has bosses there. <thumbsup>

Since they don't believe the constitution is relavant anymore, does that mean we can give them gunnite enemas?

Jon

Keep in mind these are just ideas to think about - no kit is perfect and just like 98 says "Your emergency kit depends on your skills,training, expectations,capabilities,knowledge,  will power.  Nothing is certain."

anyways the whole thing will depend heavily on your situation as well- it may be best to "bug in" at home or a well known location that is stocked, defensible and sustainable. Regardless of the situation though water, food, shelter, fire, weapon, medical, tools are some major headings - slide anything you want under that.

Skills are always dependent on time spent actually doing , It is the single biggest problem in this high tech world . Instead of accumulating a lot of skills build from years of in the field work people and kids especially just google it and then think they have the know how  nope sorry that will not cut it ... you want to learn survival skills start practicing them now learn how to make fire from a pepsi can and a chocolate bar google all you want you will not get it till trying for days once you learn how it is easy... I once spent a summer on a trip from the Canadian border to mid Idaho by horseback with nothing made after 1840 it was the biggest eye opener ever for me fire is not just a match or lighter it is life learn by doing and besides it is fun... being prepared to live is a responsibility you owe yourself and those you love take it seriously it might just save your life one day....

That's funny Magwa!

We'll be hiking or shooting and our daughter gets pissed when I stuff some plant in her face and say "Eat this!"  It is best to know what the stuff looks like and tastes like, as well as to have a tolerance for it, than it is to go out and try from scratch.

Learn your area, learn where you're going what plants you can eat and then eat them.

Jon

Learn your area, learn where you're going what plants you can eat and then eat them.

Jon

And learn what animals you can eat, and eat them.  And learn what animals you CAN'T eat, and DON'T eat them.  And learn what animals are lookin' to eat YOU, so you can figure out how to outsmart them.  THEN eat them.  <lmao> <thumbsup>

I ain't kiddin'...  <dontknow>  How do you eat a whole elephant?  One bite at a time. 

I was talking with an instructor of mine about how Samurai used horses in so many different ways as weapons.  Brilliantly sick fuckers.

He asked "Wasn't it cool how they used elephants?" (your horking down on elephants reminded me Tom)

I asked "You mean like Hannibal crossing the Alps?"

He then regaled me with how Asians used them like calvary horses, with specialties.  The best was training them to execute someone by stepping on their head, placed on a stump.

There isn't anything you can't eat around here, except perhaps the brown spiders.  Though some you wouldn't be too keen on eating.  :o

Jon

I remember a few girls I couldn't/wouldn't eat :o :puke: <lmao> <laughs>

That would suck in a real-life situation, that soccer team whose plane crashed (in the Alps I think it was), and the Donner Party come immediately to mind.

I know you meant something else, but that's out of the question in this crowd:

soydrm.jpg

It's all 1s.  Straight across.  We're all going down, in a firey death, now. 

Percentages have aligned, like the world will align, and it's coming soon, I feel it.

I can't wait for the end of the Mayan Calendar, so I can wake up the next day and say "HA!  Eat THAT, Mayans!!!"  I wanna see the vid of the dude that's jumping off the rock, in Sedona, AZ, at the specified time - he's gonna be disappointed, afterwards, when that poop doesn't really work out...  <dontknow>

I wanna see the vid of the dude that's jumping off the rock, in Sedona, AZ, at the specified time - he's gonna be disappointed, afterwards, when that poop doesn't really work out...  <dontknow>

"Vaya con Dioooooooooooooooooosssssss"<WHUMPbumpskittersliiiiide, cloud of dust rising up>

"Aye!  The portal did not open señor!"  <laughs>

Jon