• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

DPMS LR-308 Trigger Options

DPMS publicly recommends and offers JP Enterprises. By most reports the number one trigger if cost is no option is the Geiselle. Rock River Arms National Match is probably one of if not THE most popular options. Sending the stock trigger to Bill Springfield is also very popular.

I recently installed the American Trigger SR Gold and a 3# Jard single stage adjustable. The AT is fantastic but costs as much as the Geiselle. I cant compare the AT to the Geiselle as I have never used a Geiselle.

Next weekend I will compare the Jard to the American Trigger. The Jard with its adjustabilty was a little bit of a pain to install (Ill post about that later)

The American Trigger feels like the trigger on a fine bolt action rifle rather than a semi auto .308

Keep in mind most AR-15 triggers will work in the .308. The detail to watch for is clearance between the carrier and the hammer.

I HIGHLY recommend the Geissele Two-Stage Match trigger; it is simply the best trigger I've ever used on a field gun (not counting benchrest-only guns, some of those are insane!). I have an LR-308 chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor, and the Geissele functions perfectly in it. The spring tension is high enough to ensure successful primer strikes on the 308/6.5 cartridges, and the pull is adjustable for weight and overtravel. I have mine set at 3 pounds for the 1st stage, and just under 1 pound for the second stage....it just rocks.

• 3 weeks later...

I've had Chip Mccormick and JP triggers, The CMC trigger blow's away the JP IMHO. CMC breaks like glass at 3 lbs, JP's are gritty and the break is just ok. The CMC doesn't hit the primer as hard as I like it to, but I'd buy it over a JP.

I know Timney makes an AR .308 trigger and it's suppose to be pretty sweet.

I HIGHLY recommend the Geissele Two-Stage Match trigger; it is simply the best trigger I've ever used on a field gun (not counting benchrest-only guns, some of those are insane!). I have an LR-308 chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor, and the Geissele functions perfectly in it. The spring tension is high enough to ensure successful primer strikes on the 308/6.5 cartridges, and the pull is adjustable for weight and overtravel. I have mine set at 3 pounds for the 1st stage, and just under 1 pound for the second stage....it just rocks.

At the SHOT show last week, my friend and I talked to Geissele for a while and checked out all 3 triggers they were displaying.  They had some specials going, and my friend bought two of their match drop-in triggers.  I should have gotten one too, but didn't.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Just put a timney 4# in my dpms ap4. Dont have alot of rounds on it yet but it is sure crisp and 4# in my opinion is perfect for the carbine. I have my remington ltr(.308) set at 3# and it can get away from you if you are not on top of your game.

I have just put a Timney in and it is a vast difference from stock!  I haven't had a chance to take her out and put her through the paces, but expect good things.

Stay Safe

I put the cheaper JP in both of mine, at the time they were the only thing I could find locally. The RRA did not fit. Seem to be a clearance issue with the larger bolt carrier. Anyway, can someone provide some prices on the various options? The 35 for the Springfield workover sounds like a bargain for any AR. Thanks

Randy

I've got a 2# JP in mine now and it is definitely too light for a field trigger. I think I'm going to order a 3 and a 4 lb trigger spring. I shot it yesterday and didn't get a bump fire, but I was very careful to pull it in tight to my shoulder. A couple days before I was shooting groups and twice it bump fired. It is annoying and certainly ruins a good group. You definitely don't want to cover the trigger until the sights are on target. I was shooting my HK 91 at the same time and it has quite a heavy pull, it really makes you pay attention when switching guns.

Too light a trigger can be a trip.  I have a Rem 700 in 7 MM RM with a wonderful single set trigger.  The primary is 3 pounds.  I think the 'set' is one pound.  My gunsmith installed and adjusted it.  I have been addicted to set triggers from the first time I fired my Hawken,  all those decades ago. . .  The primary trigger is delightful and I might use it for hunting where I can maintain proper care and discipline relating to that trigger.  The set pull is so light that I do not push the trigger to 'set' until the crosshairs of the scope are firmly 'on target.'  At home when dry firing I can put my finger on the face of the trigger and then pull.  At the range I have never successfully managed to get my finger completely inside the trigger guard before the rifle makes all that noise and bounces around?  The groups are great! 

I am thinking I need a 4 pound crisp trigger for the DPMS.  If there was one that felt just like a good M1911?  The factory trigger measures 6 pounds with that long pull that is reasonably smooth.  Dry fire is tolerable.  Live fire is nerve wracking and uncertain.

This morning I went to my favorite gunshop.  I bought an RRA trigger for a lot less than most of what I have seen on the Internet.  For $10 more and a donation of the removed parts,  the gunsmith installed it for me in about 5 minutes.  Maybe he did not take that long?  The new trigger barely moves and then there is (I was told) a 4 pound pull that feels almost too light for my comfort and the hammer snaps as clean and crisp as paper-thin glass.  The trigger must be released to reset and that is a very positive action.  The RRA trigger feels almost as good as the primary on the set trigger that is installed on my 7 MM bolt gun.  Dry fire is fine as far as it goes;  I will tell how the trigger really is when I have had some range time on it.  It is a  different world with a live cartridge in the chamber.