• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

side charging AR15 upper reciever

soofley

OH harroooo!

so last year i did a 308ar for my year end build. This year, I'm planning to build a side charging AR15 pistol... Left Hand charge(preferably) and Right hand eject

one thing i need help with is finding the right side charging upper reciever. So i far i have found 4 diffirent side charging uppers:

ASA (i heard they're an unreliable company. but the upper has the features i'm looking for and its decently priced). LH charge/RH eject

LAR OPS-4 (no dust cover but i love its appearance). LH charge/RH eject

Mega (hard to find right now.) RH charge/RH eject

JP (super expensively unaffordable so i pretty much don't care about this upper)

What i have planned right now for the base parts the following:

upper:

LAR Grizzly OPS4 left Hand Charge with BCG

RA 10.5" ultramatch carbine system

BCE 1.5(or 2.0)

SAMSON 9" freefloat handguard (mid-length)

lower:

MEGA GTR3s

DPMS LPK

Wilson Combat single stage trigger

Phase 5 pistol stock assembly

please let me know if you guys have any comments for parts Especially the upper reciever. I'm still waiting to hear from LAR if they have the LH charge upper in stock

I only have experience with the LAR uppers.  They're right down the road from me and I've had the privilege of taking a tour of their operations several times. Really good group.

That said, I've bought 3 OPS4 uppers from them.  And they are all great.  I *will* convert my only remaining rear-charge upper to an OPS4 very soon.

The OPS4 uppers have become incredibly popular with LEO and SWAT groups across the country.  Especially in tight quarters, being able to keep your finger on the trigger and your eye on target while you manipulate the bolt... there's nothing like it.

This is my most recent build.  It's a right-side charge since it's primarily a bench gun anyway (6.5 Grendel/264 LBC).

IMG_1580.JPG

Sad to hear they are on such back-order.  Sounds like they have become even more popular as of lately.

I am very impressed with the ASA non recipecating upper. I have been to their store/factory many times. Played with the upper on a gun in their store, great design and layout. They make them in batches and they sell fast ! I will be getting one next year for a build I will be doing. +1  <thumbsup>

I will have mine gold plated if i ever decide to do something daring like yours! hehehehe

another crappy  update from the only 2 upper im interested in...

LAR OPS backoprdered 6Weeks

ASA upper backordered until MidDecember or later

to wait or to go with Fulton armoury right hand charge right hand eject?

I will have mine gold plated if i ever decide to do something daring like yours! hehehehe

another crappy  update from the only 2 upper im interested in...

LAR OPS backoprdered 6Weeks

ASA upper backordered until MidDecember or later

to wait or to go with Fulton armoury right hand charge right hand eject?

Soofley, six weeks isn't all that bad… may take you longer to get the rest of your parts to finish, and if that's you first choice I say do it! I say this because if you don't have that lower in hand it's going to be at least that long, I have two on order that I'm waiting for from Dave Branson who runs our group buy, and have no idea of their eta.

Soofley, six weeks isn't all that bad… may take you longer to get the rest of your parts to finish, and if that's you first choice I say do it! I say this because if you don't have that lower in hand it's going to be at least that long, I have two on order that I'm waiting for from Dave Branson who runs our group buy, and have no idea of their eta.

hehe oh man you don't know how anxious i am to get this build up and running.

I already got the Lower and barrel from my favorite local AR store. Getting the handguard and probably the rest of stuff this Friday. hallelujah early holiday bonus!

Buuuut i think i'll wait for the ASA upper or LAR upper. Chances are i'll go ASA upper. But we'll see how far my patience can take me. I mean if i dont decide to wait 6 weeks. i can always buy the upper and use it for another build hehe

Damn! Pimpin ain't easy! That rifle looks like it should be staring in a rap video. I especially like the pistol grip. Did you fabricate that?

Yeah, the pistol grip, gas block, hand guard, barrel nut are all machined from some scrap billet.  My pops is/was a machinist by trade.  But if I'm shooting in temps below 50 degress, that pistol grip just sucks the heat out of your hand.  It's a fair weather bench riding shooter.

did they clear the alu so that it will not stain/age?

I haven't found  a good clear coat that doesn't dull the shine a bit.  So I've been hesitant to coat it. The aluminum doesn't tarnish too fast if you keep some Mothers Aluminum polish on it. Even after hands have been all over it when shooting and I let it sit for a while, it just wipes clean with the polish.

I love that ASA non-recip side-charge.  Just not the price.  There was another AR upper out there that charged in the handguard like a HK G3 or Cetme.  Non-recip, it was _very_ cool.  And expensive.  If money was no object, I'd track down one of those for fun.  I'll see if I can dig up a picture of it.

What about the forward mounted side charging handle in the Adcor?

I too am looking at a pistol build. It's a must for me to make a completely ambidextrous gun.

I was going to do a Mega or Seekins build, but now I'm thinking of a KAC-E3.

Even though it comes with an ambi switch, I'll swap for a short throw BADASS.

If I do my own upper (ASA or JP) I'll add a Daniel Defense 10.3" (I like their lightweight and government contoured barrels). Add a Troy Alpha tube and a BC v1.0 and she's ready to fire.

Of course a LAW Tactical folding stock adapter is in order as well. It's gotta fit in a motorcycle saddlebag!!