• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

M1 Carbine customizing

MaDuce

Hay guys. I have an M1 Carbine that had a bad BCG but no other problems that I know of. I've had the gun since I was 20 and it has shot well, save for the deterioration of the BCG. It's also super accurate. Last time I fired it, I put a whole 30 round mag through a single hole.

I am thinking about getting a new BCG for the gun here in the next month or 2 and getting it up and running. It's already a modernized gun and has been registered with the California assault weapon ban, so I can pretty much put whatever I want on it.

I've been thinking about refurnishing the gun. While I tend to like my own work best, in this case I am hoping to use some AR style components. Anyone got any ideas or suggestions?

Also, some of my mags have bad springs and one of them has a bad follower. Any ideas where I can get replacement parts for them?

It's a Plainfield. She already has a choate pistol grip stock (original model), aluminum barrel shroud, scope mount (in place of rear sight) and a smith compensator muzzle break.

I have a bunch of 15 and 30 round mags for it too! Being in California and it having been registered before the AWB deadline, it's my only gun that pretty much legally ignores all the California AW laws.

It's a Plainfield. She already has a choate pistol grip stock (original model), aluminum barrel shroud, scope mount (in place of rear sight) and a smith compensator muzzle break.

I have a bunch of 15 and 30 round mags for it too! Being in California and it having been registered before the AWB deadline, it's my only gun that pretty much legally ignores all the California AW laws.

Cool! Plainfields were decent and compatible with USGI parts. It's a shame all the surplus ammo is gone.

Man, am I glad I live in Oklahoma...

Either you are the worlds best shot with the worlds most accurate m1 carbine or you are slightly over stating the 30 round magazine through the same hole.......

It is what it is. Last time I took it out, went through a 30 round mag and when it was empty it looked like I shot the target once with a .50 caliber. We can theories all we want on how. I am sure the significantly reduced recoil (muzzle break?) and optic play a role.

My Desert Eagle also prints one hole groups with Miwall 240gr ammo.

I haven't been out shooting in about a year. I am sure I need to warm up before shooting like that again.

Yeah...people say lever-guns aren't accurate too, yet mine all shoot into one ragged hole.

Why the skepticism?

Jon

Have you looked at the groupings photo's over on snipers hide ? If a $5k+ Precision rifle, custom loaded ammo with a pro shooter behind the controls can't do it........ I have my doubts about a mil surplus rifle that is not known for supreme accuracy being able to do it. If he is telling the truth he needs to be in talks with any of the big manufacturers about a full sponsorship and to qualify for the olympics.

It is what it is. Last time I took it out, went through a 30 round mag and when it was empty it looked like I shot the target once with a .50 caliber. We can theories all we want on how. I am sure the significantly reduced recoil (muzzle break?) and optic play a role.

My Desert Eagle also prints one hole groups with Miwall 240gr ammo.

I haven't been out shooting in about a year. I am sure I need to warm up before shooting like that again.

I would LOVE to see a video of you shooting this. I am not saying its impossible but I am saying that its very unlikely. Either way I like the M1 carbines and infact an M1 garand is my next rifle I am purchasing and I am interested in seeing how your mods end up.  <munch>

I have a Winchester M1 Carbine and another made by Singer Sewing Machine Co. I had a Rock-Ola (Jukebox) Mfg M1 Carbine cross my path, but it's long gone. I love those old beasts.

A buddy of mine inherited one. He put on a synthetic stock, front rail and red dot. Then painted the whole thing FDE. I call it the "Baby Scout". It's so cute. Just like a real Scout... Only smaller  :P

Have you looked at the groupings photo's over on snipers hide ? If a $5k+ Precision rifle, custom loaded ammo with a pro shooter behind the controls can't do it........ I have my doubts about a mil surplus rifle that is not known for supreme accuracy being able to do it. If he is telling the truth he needs to be in talks with any of the big manufacturers about a full sponsorship and to qualify for the olympics.

I've seen a $399 on sale Remmy 700 shoot 1/4" groups all day in .308, and plenty of people that spend more and more and more on bells and whistles, and they still can't hit squat.  But it is always the fault of the equipment, never the shooter.  ::)

MaDuce still hasn't said how far he shoots it.  Around here lots of people sight in their Carbines at 50yards for javelina.

As to the people on Sniper's Hide that "can't do it with $5000 rifles", I'm sure that isn't everyone over there.  And from the little I've read over there, most are shooting well over 100 yards.

Jon

I've seen a $399 on sale Remmy 700 shoot 1/4" groups all day in .308, and plenty of people that spend more and more and more on bells and whistles, and they still can't hit squat.  But it is always the fault of the equipment, never the shooter.  ::)

MaDuce still hasn't said how far he shoots it.  Around here lots of people sight in their Carbines at 50yards for javelina.

As to the people on Sniper's Hide that "can't do it with $5000 rifles", I'm sure that isn't everyone over there.  And from the little I've read over there, most are shooting well over 100 yards.

Jon

I haven't been to that range in 3 years and never asked what the distance was when I was shooting there. My guess, based on memory is maybe 20 yards. I THINK I have a picture of myself shooting a Barrett M82A1 at that range with the distance visible. I'll see if I can't find it.

M1 Carbine starts to drop allot at 100 yards. Hitting a soda can at that range with an M1 Carbine is good shooting. Hitting a soda can at that range with my AR-15 is something to yawn at. M1 Carbine is a short range rifle. I thought everyone would have assumed I wasn't shooting at long distance given what it is.

I have a really hard time getting shooting footage guys. In the last 15 years, I think I got 7 or 8 videos of myself. I am really not sure why. I guess I just have trouble finding someone to film it. Then again, I've only been to the range a few times in the last 5 years anyhow. That DOES need to stop.

I would love to get some target footage though. Especially when it comes to experiments, I've done allot over the years I wish I could have gotten on film.

Regarding Desert Eagles, those guns are very rough recoiling and the .50AEs are very hard to hit accurately with even at point blank range. The .44s are much easier to hit accurately with though and with a good custom trigger, polished action and fitted sights, it's pretty amazing what you can do with it. Desert Eagles may have terrible PRACTICAL accuracy, but having a fixed octagonic barrel, the mechanical accuracy of the Desert Eagle is exceptional. You just need to make it user friendly.

Ammo is important to. Miwall is the only brand I can print one hole groups with. The other brands are a little closer to typical accuracy. 2 inch groups at 10 meters was common.