• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

super budget build.

blue109

wanted to build a rifle for my wifes dad for xmas. hes really helped us out through a few rough spots this year. he has a few really nice vintage colt 20" guns but wanted a "little beater" to keep by the bedside and throw around in the desert. i think it came out pretty decent so far. built on a delaware machine lower. ive heard bad things but i have 5 of them and they went together just fine and lock up tight. this gun isnt being built for resale so its function over form. decided from the beginning i wanted to try a dissapator build because they look awesome and seem pretty functional, and del-ton finaly got barrels in stock at a great price. found a complete cardinal A2 upper recvr down in Toms neck of the woods for $35. YES PLEASE! LPK from palmeto black friday. used stock and little bits and pieces sourced localy. i was planing on using a MOE hanguard but a friend had an unopened AIMsport quad rail he decided not to use and gave it to me for $40. the rail drops in and is actualy amazingly secure. it has notches that lock into the barrel nut grooves so it cant rotate. it also has 6 screws that secure the top and bottom half of the rail. still need a BCG and some foliage ladder covers but im currently in it for just over $400 total :) im thinking we should be shooting for under $550. not bad for a non standard build.

between the heavy barrel and the quad rail its got some weight to it but it should recoil nice. dads a big guy and wont care about a few ounces and i have a feeling the closet mall ninja inside him wil like the rail.

2012-12-01%252018.23.08.jpg

my only snag so far.....the A2 flash hider only threads on 2 turns and then binds. any help? ive read people syaing jut "lube it and crank it on" but the threads in the birdcage are looking like they will crossthread if i push any harder.

Looks good. My brother and I are doing some budget builds as well. Somehow we've convinced ourselves we don't have enough guns already.  ;). We're building them on the inexpensive New Frontier polymer lowers and using DS Arms uppers. They'll come in at less than $500 but will be nothing fancy.

• 5 years later...

Zombie update. This is the rifle they take on every hunting trip. Lots of sketchy stuff down here by the border so FIL keeps this while the kiddos hunt. (They see people crossing every trip out) It has that 16" HBAR and he mentioned that he gets tired of holding it.....and I realized hes been lugging this thing all over the desert with no sling for the past 6 years lol. he also mentioned he didnt like the hard plastic stock so I snuck over while he wasnt home and kidnapped it for a facelift. All parts were on clearance from JSEsurplus and super cheap.

PicsArt_11-04-10.56.04.jpg