• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

LR 308 Classic -removing the A2 front sight gas block

A2 front sight and gas block, A3 rails with handguard and A2 sights rear.

Am putting a free float tube on it. Most AR15's you just pop the pins forward of the handguards. Pics attached. It looks like this one has a bead or two on top of the screws or pins. How do you get these off and out, Thanks in advance

post-2292-13629728635_thumb.jpg

Hit it with a punch that has a face much larger than the pin - to get it moving.  I usually use 1/4" or 3/16" to start them on their way.  Switch to the smaller punch once you've already got it moving.

Hit it like it took something from you.  <thumbsup>

compensation for other little issues  :o

You weren't complaining about my little issues when we were in AZ.

As for "overkill", while the pic is a fake ( I stole it from online) it accurately describes my hatred for taper pins. My buddy had a Stag with an A2 fsgb. I beat those pins with a 4lbs hammer and got nothing. I finally had to cut the damned thing off. I HATE TAPER PINS.

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Damn Rip! It took you 11 months to get that itty-bitty pin out??? Glad you found your way back here. Lol

I don't visit this board as often as I should. And 11 months meant I was taking my time, trying to not leave tool marks. Heck, I just finally got this iron sighted in to 200yds. Probably will shoot this again in January.

• 5 months later...

Have now become comfortable with 8 pound maul and taper punch to remove said pins. Took off old handguard. Put on non-vented free float tube, took off free float tube put on and took off 4 other free float tubes. Finally settled on the DPMS vented free float tube. Used new taper pins and a couple of new roll pins. Glad I listened to you all as it is a bear at first. Thanks for advice. And thanks to Robocop for leaving us all with that indelible image of his issues. :))

• 2 weeks later...

So a sheet metal guy, a controls guy and a cop walk into a bar... good times were had by all... at a Ranger's expense. Yeah, I may have brought up the "white spot".

So, No $hit, there I was...

At work, knowing these clowns are showing up in town, and just counting down the time to meet them. 

I decide I need to take a piss, and walk towards the bathroom.  I'm finished, and coming back out - just to work more, until I can meet these guys.

I round a corner, and from BEHIND ME I hear, "Yeah, that's GOTTA be him, with that BIGASS SPOT ON THE BACK OF HIS HEAD!!!" 

I just put my head down and laughed.  I turned, and there's Rob.  First time I met him in my life, and I'm laughing my a$s off... 

I gave him a big pants-down hug, held him tight, and just laughed.  Once I released him, I shook his hand, and told him I was damn glad to meet him.  But, he doesn't know...

I didn't wash my hands when I left the bathroom...  <lmao>

I marked him, now he's mine.  :banana:

I didn't wash my hands when I left the bathroom...  <lmao>

I marked him, now he's mine.  :banana:

Learned that trick from Tacticat, did you?  <laughs>

Rob, you know where the spot came from now.  <lmao>

My wife later tells me she was mortified that I did that. She says, "what if he took that negatively and got upset?"

I told her simply, "we wouldn't have been friends in the first place if I couldn't make the joke."

Great times commenced... and will commence again!