• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

What do you guys think of the straight-arm forward hold?

Madhouse

Was at the range today and saw a young man using the straight arm hold on his Rem 700 AAC-SD. Looked super derp. Guy in the next lane to me was also chuckling.

Don't chuckle too hard.   I bet that guy could shoot his 700 AAC-SD at an abandoned range then sprint 750 yards before the cops arrived. 

Edited by StainTrain

You're not gonna let me live this down unless I do it, right?

You can only pull this off in the middle of the night, suppressed.  No other way.

You need to make a badass suppressor and acoustically test it, before even considering this.... 

There is no other way... 

EDIT - Hey, YOU brought this range site up.  Nobody pushed you into this... <lmao>

Edited by 98Z5V

• 4 weeks later...

Physics-wise it makes sense.

In application it is a bit awkward for me at this point.

Jon

Unless I am misunderstanding the description, it doesn't make any sense to me. The more you have things dangling out there, the more things are going to move around. Your arms also grow substantially weaker and less stable when extended out. I have tried all the modern supposedly revolutionary or expert off-hand shooting postures. In the end, these old-school methods are the only ones I've found to be at all worth while:

Precision shooting at a distance in a clean environment:

http://www.riflesilhouette.com/images/StandPosition.jpg

Pretty much any other situation, including tactical/combat. I've found that; with enough practice, this one sort of overrides all the modern fancy stuff. It DOES take time and practice though.

http://www.hunter-ed.com/images/drawings/rifle_position_standing.jpg

Edited by MaDuce

I had the opportunity to shoot with the CEO of SWORD-Int recently (ret. Army Ranger) and they practice this style of shooting in their "Thriving in Chaos" firearms training. Current operators ABSOLUTELY use this style of shooting. When practiced, and aptly trained, it surpasses the abilities of the "Camp Perry" shooting positions. I'm not saying it is "more accurate", just that it has more combat oriented application that past practice.

(PS... I am a, P.O.S.T. Certified, LE Tactical Rifle Instructor, and I use and train this style of shooting... for work, not hunting or paper killing)

I don't know for sure that the military does use that grip.

I am not trusting of the newer instructors and all the brand new techniques that I see.

the people i know who are still in the military don't go for this...

There are many units in the military that are using and providing input on the development of some of these new techniques. Edited by StainTrain