• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

What do you guys think of the straight-arm forward hold?

Madhouse

I've been reading chatter about this, and I've tried it in some off-hand shooting with my .22's to see how it feels.

I can appreciate the functionality of the theory that the farther out your grip is, the more control you have.  I'm not sure that this is all that comfortable of a hold, at least not when I wrap my thumb up over the top of the forend.  I do, however, like the way my Magpul angled foregrips feel.

Some say fad, some say innovation.  Thoughts?

I dont see at as a good or effective long term holding style.  For me it puts too much strain on my shoulder, it does allow for a quicke second shot, so if i was doing three gun, i might run with it, but i am old school and like the magwell hold, or the magpul grip near the magwell.

just my 2 cents.

Makes sense for shorter range engagements, similar to the two-handed pistol grip.

The pistol grip, when done properly, is amazing at directing the recoil straight back with very little muzzle rise.

Try experimenting with this rifle hold and also some single-handed pistol shooting.  With the pistols you will find that the firearm recoils towards the most open area of the grips, e.g., to the left when shooting right handed, or to the right when shooting left handed.  You should find similar results with the rifle.

Jon

That grip was not designed for combat tactical shooting. It was designed for short term run-n-gun. You can swing your rifle in a quick 30-40 degree arc. Target acquisition is near instantaneous. Over travel/swing of your barrel is almost extinct.

It is not a mobile grip. It is not a precision long distance grip. Costa talks about the grip in one of his earlier "Dynamics" videos.

Here is my 3-gun upper that i built on black friday, instead of black friday shopping i did a black friday build. I just stated 3-gun shooting this year and why am i shooting my prepan ar's so i built this one it has a Dpms 18" stainless barrel 1-8 twist. I made a spit nut that goes over the barrel nut and locks into the upper. The tubing was 2"od x 1.75"id and all the fluting was done with a 1" ball nose endmill. now i need to get it anodized and put silicone grit in the finger grooves. I have to work onthe comp a little more i am still getting more muzzel rise then i want. It is hard to get use to the 3-gun hold but i am going to try it and see what happens if not i can tig weld a picattiny mount on the bottom when needed.

post-2444-136297286744_thumb.jpg

post-2444-136297286752_thumb.jpg

post-2444-13629728676_thumb.jpg

post-2444-136297286767_thumb.jpg

post-2444-136297286776_thumb.jpg

• 7 months later...

Robocop is dead on........I recently watched a tv show on the military channel About Delta Force.  Those guys were using this "grip". ( in close quarters)  Personally it just looks cool, every generation has to have something different.  In my day we faced "boobytraps, today its IEDs.  And my favorite, we had car bombs, today its VBIEDs, vehicle borne improvised explosive device, what the.........My arm gets tired and it is NOT for that long range shot.  I dont think you will find a true sniper using it.  It was developed from the 2 handed pistol grip where it controls the recoil of the pistol.  I'll continue to carry my pistol like that, but I'm old school, in OIF and OEF, I actually used a  tactical grip on my M-4................if it aint broke dont fix it...............it just gets cool points

Edited by Togreenfeet

• 10 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Attached to 2/75 at the end of 2003 for an Afghan deployment, and worked with all three companies - didn't meet him personally.  Dealt with Bn leadership, all the company commanders, all the company 1SGs, and most platoon leaders.  He was probably on that deployment (the whole Bn was deployed), and he'd remember our presence there with them.  Ask him about the Intel Guys that were attached to them on that one.  Official name of that deployment was "Operation Mountain Resolve," with 10th Mountain Division overall in that region.

If he did Jumpmaster at Ft Lewis between 1999 and 2003, then I was one of his instructors.  We always held aside 10 slots for every 60-man class for 2/75 guys.  In 2000, we took 12, and all 12 graduated - they constituted their own "Ranger Stick" of JM students.  2/75 Bn CSM went nuts! 

Edited by 98Z5V