• Visit Sportsmans Guide

Any fisherman here?

imschur

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

<----Huge largemouth bass fanatic here.  Learning the water and ways of SoCal freshwater fishing is a challenge.  I have considered starting a blog on it just to share my experiences, trials and tribulations with others so they learn something or what not to do.  Fishing consumes most of my time.  Notice I said fishing and not catching  <laughs> 

Growing up I competed in local tournaments in the Mid-West and could hold my own; however, the large, very clear and deep water reservoirs out here are completely different.  One place I fish has a visibility of close to 30' down.  I can't wait for spring and the spawn to start! 

If I can be of any assistance let me know...I'll post some pics up later of some of my catches.   

<----Huge largemouth bass fanatic here.  Learning the water and ways of SoCal freshwater fishing is a challenge.  I have considered starting a blog on it just to share my experiences, trials and tribulations with others so they learn something or what not to do.  Fishing consumes most of my time.  Notice I said fishing and not catching  <laughs> 

Growing up I competed in local tournaments in the Mid-West and could hold my own; however, the large, very clear and deep water reservoirs out here are completely different.  One place I fish has a visibility of close to 30' down.  I can't wait for spring and the spawn to start! 

If I can be of any assistance let me know...I'll post some pics up later of some of my catches. 

Glad you cleared that up, every time I looked at your username, I was trying to figure out whether you are a fisherman or musician....  <laughs>

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...

One of the strangest things I've ever seen in my life happened in Canada. I was staying overnight at the Frontenac and part of the deal was you got to eat a buffet supper.

The buffet setup was like half a city block long, with everything you can think of. And most people skipped all of it after the salad at the front. Then they went to the end, and the end was raw salmon, sliced razor-thin. They ate it in piles.

Like Canadian sushi, I guess.

Well, they were eating so much of it that I did, too. Raw salmon is pretty darned good! Although, gotta say, smoked salmon is awesome.

Speaking of smoked fish, my grandparents used to live right by a river and fished a lot. Basically, all they caught was carp. My granddaddy got a smoker and started smoking carp. Smoked carp might be better than smoked salmon, no kidding. You gotta pick around the bones, but dang, I could sit there for hours sorting out that savory goodness.