• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

New .308 Bolt (LR-308/SR-25 spec)

Robocop1051

One of our creative members took advantage of his resources and created a .308 bolt

I recently loaned Tucson308 a spare bolt I had, for him to replicate. Without name dropping, I'll just say that my sample bolt was made and designed by a very high quality and reputable company. I believe the original cost me $200-$250 when it first came out, over a year ago.

Here is the new product, made by our own Tucson308.

929F81D6-6F1C-4104-B37F-63E38093F22A-404-000000DD4CBF162D.jpg

I can't wait to see the finished product, and hear how it works out!!

That's awesome info, Terry.  <thumbsup>  At a minimum it means the barrel extensions between the two are very, very close (twins?), and that the lugs on the bolt are machined to identical lengths.  Opens some doors for RRA LAR-8 builders in the barrel department, without a doubt. 

• 2 weeks later...

I will be firing the first round Saturday morning through the prototype bolt. It is all ready to go and fits great, but I do see two minor changes I will make for the production parts. One of the hole sizes could be smaller and the gas ring seat diameter could be larger . These are very minor things and won't affect performance...More to follow next week.

Hi guys. I'm in the same boat as most, I need a DPMS BCG to complete my build. It's like trying to find the holy grail or something. I put myself on the Harris Tactical wait list but I'm on the fence about it. I don't know anyone who has had one thru them or if they truly are magnetic partical inspected or just stamped such? I added the link below.

http://www.harristacticalonline.com/308-762x51-Nickel-Boron-Complete-Bolt-Carrier-Group-NIB-X-FA-HT-NB-308.htm

Hi guys. I'm in the same boat as most, I need a DPMS BCG to complete my build. It's like trying to find the holy grail or something. I put myself on the Harris Tactical wait list but I'm on the fence about it. I don't know anyone who has had one thru them or if they truly are magnetic partical inspected or just stamped such? I added the link below.

http://www.harristacticalonline.com/308-762x51-Nickel-Boron-Complete-Bolt-Carrier-Group-NIB-X-FA-HT-NB-308.htm

I'm on their waiting list too. What I can say is that they are pretty communicative. On Facebook I asked him about the forward assist (as at that point I hadn't realized that DPMS 308 BCGs don't have or need the side notches for FA) and he took pictures of a factory dpms bolt and started a conversation about it

22b9d600112226aec349b89e91bb88c2

It leaves me way more comfortable than someone like RGuns who if you can get them to respond at all basically responds with a grunt, or a 2 word reply

The bolt worked great and the rifle functioned great through 50 rounds except for a weak ejection, but I have a good idea what needs to be done for that. shot the attached 5 shot group at 100 after I shot about 25 rounds function testing and sighting her in. Took the Vortex off my 6.5 Grendel, slapped it on the .308 and it was within 8" at 100. Back to the range tomorrow to see if I can get a group without a flyer, or was it just a poor shot on my part???  Bottom line is the bolt is in as new condition and I will consider it a success for now. still need to put at least 250 rounds on it and then destruction test it to check the inner structure of the steel.

post-2747-136297289424_thumb.jpg

post-2747-136297289425_thumb.jpg

Great news and it would not be possible without people like yourself, You are a big part of this success, Robocop1051!!!

Ran another 225 rounds through her yesterday and all still looks great. after the ditruction test of the lugs I'm going to make 4 more. I will be making more after I get the material for them.