• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Hunting Season 2012!

Skg_Mre_Lght

My two sons and I filled our Muley, Whitetail, Speed Goat, and Elk tags this year (we usually fill them all every year...I have a schedule that allows for quite a bit of time in the woods).

Although I have bigger antlers on the wall, here are the two I am most proud of.  My oldest help me spot and stalk the elk, and my youngest (4 years old) glassed the antelope and crawled into a shooting position with me.  I love it!

20121007_150638_zps83884f29.jpg

[img width=810 height=607]http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/uu240/Skg_Mre_Lght/20121001_0657591_zps339a8a24.jpg

[img width=810 height=607]http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/uu240/Skg_Mre_Lght/20121001_085439_zps8caaeaec.jpg

I am so glad they are as excited about hunting as I have been my whole life.

Thanks!

I care about horns and antlers as much as the meat.  The skill involved with killing a mature trophy animal far surpasses shooting the first spike or doe you come across.  I love meat, and will shoot does/cows or immature bucks/bulls if the season is coming to a close, but the boys and I love looking at our wall and remembering the hunt.  :D

Thanks!

I care about horns and antlers as much as the meat.  The skill involved with killing a mature trophy animal far surpasses shooting the first spike or doe you come across.  I love meat, and will shoot does/cows or immature bucks/bulls if the season is coming to a close, but the boys and I love looking at our wall and remembering the hunt.  :D

I understand your remembering the hunt with your boys and please don't take this wrong as I have several very large Mule deer mounted and a moose and a whitetail but they were all taken as a bi product of hunting for meat I just hunt in good places... :) It seems we as a nation have lost our ways when it comes to hunting, meat is the first and formost  consideration but it seems TV hunting shows and marketing this hunting gadget and that super duper call would have us believe that killing for horns at any cost is the true meaning of hunting. Please hear me out, I like any hunter was elated to take a large mature animal but I would never pass on a legal one to hunt for horns as my family depended on the meat each and every years  so I have only taken One big 6 point bull elk but I have harvested over 35 elk I just never passed up a legal elk . So the trophies will come but you will loose the joy of providing the very best meat this planet has to offer if you only focus on the horns.... I apologize if i seem like I am preaching it is not my intent all the very best to you and your sons enjoy the hunts with them....

I understand your remembering the hunt with your boys and please don't take this wrong as I have several very large Mule deer mounted and a moose and a whitetail but they were all taken as a bi product of hunting for meat I just hunt in good places... :) It seems we as a nation have lost our ways when it comes to hunting, meat is the first and formost  consideration but it seems TV hunting shows and marketing this hunting gadget and that super duper call would have us believe that killing for horns at any cost is the true meaning of hunting. Please hear me out, I like any hunter was elated to take a large mature animal but I would never pass on a legal one to hunt for horns as my family depended on the meat each and every years  so I have only taken One big 6 point bull elk but I have harvested over 35 elk I just never passed up a legal elk . So the trophies will come but you will loose the joy of providing the very best meat this planet has to offer if you only focus on the horns.... I apologize if i seem like I am preaching it is not my intent all the very best to you and your sons enjoy the hunts with them....

Oh, no...no offense taken at all, I was just expressing my point of view.  I grew up on wild game, and it is a treat to put one in a freezer...especially an elk (almost a half beef) or a tasty whitetail.  We just have different goals, and I have been a meat hunter before, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it.

However, having married into a cattle family, I do not really "need" the meat anymore, and really enjoy the pursuit of trophy animals.  I also prefer not to eat the coyotes, prairie dogs, porcupines or any of that others stuff we shoot.

Here's to a wonderful 2013 season for all of us.  ;D

im with magwa, always said i dont need to justify my man hood by the size of the animals i shoot. i would love some wall hangers but like said antler stew taste like poop! sounds like you have a great hunting season, nice bags!!

They wouldn't let me bring home thigh bones or teeth, so I have to stick with antlers and horns on the wall to justify my manhood.  ;)

Some how I don't think your Manhood is in question lol here are some of my bi products from meat hunting, every squirrel finds a nut now and again.. :)

DSC02121Medium_zpsa7b6a024.jpg

Mike, I like the flag in the case, brother.  I respect that, alot.  <thumbsup>

That was from my Father's funeral 30 years Navy Chief Aviation Boatsan mate, was buried in full uniform,was sunk three times in world war 2 and was my best friend and Buddy, Died of Cancer in 1995 and I still miss him so much thanks for noticing ,You guys would have liked him he was a fun guy and loved this country.....

Some how I don't think your Manhood is in question lol here are some of my bi products from meat hunting, every squirrel finds a nut now and again.. :)

DSC02121Medium_zpsa7b6a024.jpg

Nice..where did you get the moose?  I still have about 5 years of preference points before I can get a tag.  My grandfather-in-law has a 61" bull he took in Alaska in 2005.  Beautiful animals.

Nice..where did you get the moose?  I still have about 5 years of preference points before I can get a tag.  My grandfather-in-law has a 61" bull he took in Alaska in 2005.  Beautiful animals.

The Moose was taken here in Idaho 1 in a lifetime for bulls 44 inches wide but very heavy I can now put in for cow moose each year so far I have not drawn it in 3 tries drew the bull tag on my second try... This Picture gives it a better perspective not a great scoring moose but he is the one I called in.. yeah I had a bit more hair 5 years ago LOL

DSC01927Medium.jpg

That was from my Father's funeral 30 years Navy Chief Aviation Boatsan mate, was buried in full uniform,was sunk three times in world war 2 and was my best friend and Buddy, Died of Cancer in 1995 and I still miss him so much thanks for noticing ,You guys would have liked him he was a fun guy and loved this country.....

My mom still has my dads flag, he was a WWII navy vet USS New Jersey bofors between the stacks was his gun. Can't remember if he was on port or starboard side.

Here's a pic of him and his shipmates wiping the shells down with cosmoline. He's the one with the dixiecup on the left.

cleangreese40mmshells.jpg 

Here's the type of gun he was on, wish I could pull the or in this case push the trigger on one of these.

[img width=810 height=826]http://i897.photobucket.com/albums/ac176/seasprite/Navy%20pics/quadmount40.jpg

Like you Magwa, I miss him a lot he was a great guy.