• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Tightening barrel nut

EasyEJL

EXACTLY or you have the same issue I did with my recent install. Even Noveske on the NSR Rail, states to use a grease on the barrel nut threads and you may need to tighten loosen.Thier brand specific Torque specs are 40-80 lbs. Mine was done at like 35 and after 100 rnds of frustration it came loose. Redone to 80 and wnd Ill be at the range this weekend. I'll post thr results on my other thread as not to thread jack ^-^

My NSR installs have been on the high side of the torque range as well.

I got a more detailed response from SI.

"Sometimes it is impossible to hit the required minimum torque

specification of 35lbs-ft and still have the gas tube hole line up with

the clearance in the nut.

Anti-seize is an alternative, however, it acts as a lubricant and the

amount of torque required dry, differs from amount needed for "wet"

applications. Usually you will need more torque under "lubricated"

conditions."

Might I suggest a barrel nut shim?

I didn't know that existed but I would think that would do fine for the contingency they are describing.

Now that I understand when they would use loctite, I'm definitely going with a grease or anti-seize. I don't even know if my barrel but will be the type that has the gas tube run through it or not. If alignment issues did occur I guess loctite or a shim would take care of it.

^^^ Those Spikes barrel nut shims came with the Big A$s Rail when it first came out - don't know if they still do or not, but I'd be that they do still include that. 

You clocked your barrel nut and checked it's gas tube position without a shim - the hole had to line up about 45-degrees out from top dead center, before tightening.  If I remember that right...  Anyways, if it didn't, you added a shim, until you got it right.  Once you had it right, at the "pre-tighten" spot, you applied torque and lined it up - perfect torque every time.

I still have some of those shims left over for a 5.56 gun, and I've thought about using them on builds after that...  but I just torqued those on and went with it.  The shims are good stuff, though.  You could have a rifle with high torque on the nut, shim it, and still line up perfectly at lower torque.  <thumbsup>

Edited by 98Z5V

I'm starting to think a replaceable crush washer (aluminum or copper) would probably be better. It would start to deform at the correct torque and still give some allowance in the "crush" to allow the barrel nut to align.

I don't know about that... Crush washers don't crush very evenly.

Seems to my inexpert opinion that a crush washer designed to crush, such as washers made from crushable aluminum and copper, will continue to crush after torquing when they're being slammed by shooting. Leading you to replace the crushing washers.

The farm boy in me says, steel washers, no crush, tight fit, tighten to spec and be careful of anything that's a casting.

hmmmm.....the barrel nut has been on the ar since like forever...why try to reinvent the wheel?

its just cant be that hard to tighten down the barrel nut at a value from 40 to 80 pounds.

A simple bubba fix is if you just cant get the nut to the next notch and have the torque value that you are comfortable with is to put down a piece of wet/dry sandpaper on a flat surface and put the nut on it and sand a thou or so off the nut...it will then get you to

where it needs to be....easy peasy :) Wash

hmmmm.....the barrel nut has been on the ar since like forever...why try to reinvent the wheel?

its just cant be that hard to tighten down the barrel nut at a value from 40 to 80 pounds.

A simple bubba fix is if you just cant get the nut to the next notch and have the torque value that you are comfortable with is to put down a piece of wet/dry sandpaper on a flat surface and put the nut on it and sand a thou or so off the nut...it will then get you to

where it needs to be....easy peasy :) Wash

Can't do that - the interference surface is on the inside.  The lip on the barrel nut that mates up against the flange on the barrel.  No sanding possible for that one. 

If it will not go, the answer is the indexing shims.  Crush washers do crush, but they're not gonna stand up to the heat that the chamber creates.  That's why you don't use a crush washer on a muzzle device that a suppressor attaches to.

• 2 months later...