• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Imr 4064 powder

Dane Armory

I have a whole crap load of different bullets but I am heavy in the 150 gr fmj and 168 gr hpbt hornadays and the 180 gr competition nosler

The 150fmj are plinkers. Are those 180 gr a bimetallic tip ? I loaded a box of 50.kind of pricey.

I did a test with every plastic tip bullet I could find. Put the in 308's and 300wsm. I still have most of my 300wsm In plastic boxes. Just don't {can't} shoot that many per session. And no one else wants too either.{Kitties} LOL

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The 150fmj are plinkers. Are those 180 gr a bimetallic tip ? I loaded a box of 50.kind of pricey.

I did a test with every plastic tip bullet I could find. Put the in 308's and 300wsm. I still have most of my 300wsm In plastic boxes. Just don't {can't} shoot that many per session. And no one else wants too either.{Kitties} LOL

A plinking I shall go as I have not done any serious plinking since the Corpse ( Obama pronunciation) yes the  180's have a colored tip on them I have not opened the package but they look nice.(but again I think all bullets look nice) I picked those up on sale  for just under .30 cents each. I figured  I would give them a try if and when I work out to the long ranges. So I take it there are recoil issues with the 180's? Since my rifle wieghts in at 12 lbs with scope( bipod not included with weight) the majority of shooting will be off of a bipod, I also am installing an adjustable gas block and muzzle break. I do know if that is going to be enough help but it should not hurt. <nutkick>

You've got the rifling to shoot 168s and 175s to 1000 yards. Don't expect mil-surp 147-grainers to get that far, with great regularity.

Dane armory said the 150gr are for plinking. I believe those were the hornaday brand. I do have a few boxes of mil-surp to get me through til I figure out the reloading process. thanks for the reply

Interesting So how would be the cost and availability of brass? How it would compare against the 6.5, 300blk or even the 260?

Let's see... compared to 6.5 more prevaileint than Creedmore or Grendel. The 300blk are free so it wins just have to cut and convert 223rem. 260 only see it in specific stores like Sportmans or a really good Lgs, but you could covert 308 in a pinch.. th 6.8spc is showing up in more Lgs as ammo finally runs $20 to$29 per box of 20. Rem new brass 50 bag at $35 to $40. Can't get SSA anymore locally,that sucks ! Range is 1/4 mile to kill deer but with a long barrel 600 yards to target. 110gr , 115gr projos are very effective at double the mass of a 223 round. 6.5 as similar ballistic stats but better projos with better selection of projos although ammo is inferior. Reloading is a big plus for the 6.5's JMHO. So take that with a grain of salt.

Let's see... compared to 6.5 more prevaileint than Creedmore or Grendel. The 300blk are free so it wins just have to cut and convert 223rem. 260 only see it in specific stores like Sportmans or a really good Lgs, but you could covert 308 in a pinch.. th 6.8spc is showing up in more Lgs as ammo finally runs $20 to$29 per box of 20. Rem new brass 50 bag at $35 to $40. Can't get SSA anymore locally,that sucks ! Range is 1/4 mile to kill deer but with a long barrel 600 yards to target. 110gr , 115gr projos are very effective at double the mass of a 223 round. 6.5 as similar ballistic stats but better projos with better selection of projos although ammo is inferior. Reloading is a big plus for the 6.5's JMHO. So take that with a grain of salt.

It is something  I have to do. especially when one has extra parts already(some).I am beginning to understand my wife with her shoe compulsion. 

SSA 6.8spc new brass $64.99 at. Wilson Combat.

My LGS doesnot have ammo from them now. They got put on Backorder.

Price was $16.99 and $17.99 for 20 rounds.

have not shopped for 6.8 brass, is it readily available or like almost everything else, jump on it while you can?

have not shopped for 6.8 brass, is it readily available or like almost everything else, jump on it while you can?

Whenever I have extra cash I'li will stock up on Projo's or brass . Powder and primers would be a second choice. I you see it get it while it hot ! It might not be there tommorrow ! Edited by Dane Armory

• 3 weeks later...

Whenever I have extra cash I'li will stock up on Projo's or brass . Powder and primers would be a second choice. I you see it get it while it hot ! It might not be there tommorrow !

I hear ya there brother, I've been looking for 168 gr A-Max's it seems like forever <dontknow>  Went to Cabelas on Thur. and found 4 boxes and snagged them all. Now I get to have some fun at the bench again <thumbsup>

I hear ya there brother, I've been looking for 168 gr A-Max's it seems like forever <dontknow>  Went to Cabelas on Thur. and found 4 boxes and snagged them all. Now I get to have some fun at the bench again <thumbsup>

Found some 178gr A-Max at Sportsman's and picked up some. Still looking around for 208's or 220's to use on the 300AAC.

Found some 178gr A-Max at Sportsman's and picked up some. Still looking around for 208's or 220's to use on the 300AAC.

Double-check the loaded length of those - see it they're even mag-length.  If they're too long, you'll have to remove the tip on the projectile, or fire them from a bolt gun.

Cool  <thumbsup>  Maybe were going to start seeing some more components before the summer is here. Hope you can locate the 208's or 220's.

Double-check the loaded length of those - see it they're even mag-length.  If they're too long, you'll have to remove the tip on the projectile, or fire them from a bolt gun.

Not overly worried about the heavier ones since I'll load them up light so they stay subsonic so I guess there's more room to shove the bullet deeper. :D

Edited by shibiwan