Dane Armory

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 hours ago, survivalshop said:

Look at the 16"& 20 " 308 loading data above , I just wanted to cut & paste  here & some how it ended up as a new thread , WTF 

Thx SS. I just wanted to shorten the experimentation process. 42.5 grains of IMR 4064 looks like a good starting point. the 41.5 listed in Hodgdon's reloading site as a starter seems to be just a bit lower than most people's pet loads. Anyone get pressure signs with IMR 4064 and at what charge level?

Got around to loading and shooting some rounds with IMR4064. I will say this... I wish I hadn't been afraid to try it because of its reputation for feeding like "Lincoln Logs" through a powder measure. Others are worse (H4895 comes to mind), the Uniflo cut a stick about every other throw, but it wasn't real bad. I tried loads of 41.67, 42.2, 42.6 and 43 underneath a 168 Nosler BTHP blem, 1x LC cases, 2.795" OAL. I like IMR4064. It seems to have a wide "sweet spot". All the loads were very good, but I'll go with 42.2 grains to finish out the bottle of powder. Began to get traces of the primers flattening with the 43 grain load but it wasn't bad.

POA was dead center, 10 shots into each target. Interestingly, as the charge weight went up the point of impact systematically went down. I'll have to cogitate about that.

imr4064_18bthpsid2.jpg

4064 is a great powder for large cases , I just got done loading 30'06 cases with 49 gr. of 4064 with a 150 gr, SST for a Hunter friend of mine . Play with COL & Primers if you can , I got the best ES & SD with these 30"06 with a Fed . Primer . I read some use a Mag Primer with the big 30'06 case when using the long grain 4064 . I've never tried them in 30'06 or 308 . I get too good of results with std primers .

6 hours ago, EngrBob said:

My best hunting load for the .308 is 42.4 gr of imr 4064 under a 168 gr Sierra Game King with a Winchester LR primer.  Dead on between 100 and 200 yards so far.

Ding , Ding , Ding ! My most accurate load in 308 in Imr 4064 - 42.5gr , win wlr , Sierra MK 168gr at 2.795" to 2.80" with 1x brass.

For hunting loads in 7mm08, 308 & 30'06 , 4064 is all I use , all hand weighed charges & all that I load for , I have their rifle for weeks , working a load for that particular rifles Barrel . Every one , every single one , likes different combo of factors , be it COL , Primer or Bullet in some cases .Seems the Hornady SST is the favorite of the Hunter's, as far as taking game . I have loaded Barnes , Nosler & others & all said , they prefer the SST loads .

139gr. SST for the 7mm08 , Bolt actions .

150gr. SST for 30 cal. , Bolt actions & Browning BAR rifles 

Just relaying hunter experience from the field ,most of my experience with gun hunting has been with 12 ga, slug guns , so I have to go by what input I get from those I load for . Every barrel , to me , is different & what load your rifle likes may be different .

Edited by survivalshop

back in the 1970s and 80s when I was shooting a lot I used 4064 for .3030, .243, .3006 and .308.  I also used a lot of 4895 for 3006 (M1 Garand NM only) I used the Lyman reloading book and started with the reccomended starting load, and only stopped  reloading when my day job took a change in direction and i  was transferred and started traveling doing audits.

Edited by mrmackc

A friend that I used to load for had me put 4064 into almost everything he brought over for calibers. There were some 223, 308, 30/06, 300 Win Mag, and a couple that I don't remeber. His instructions were:   just make them hot. Well, .75 of top of book was as much as he received and he was exceedingly happy.

That was my first experience with 4064.

Havent seen 4064 in my area for 4 years best i can see is varget but at redonk prices! I stalked up on blc2 sooo thats where its at? Gotta say 4064 was a good load while i had it! Funny how you cant see the end of the rainbow.

1 hour ago, sketch said:

Havent seen 4064 in my area for 4 years best i can see is varget but at redonk prices! I stalked up on blc2 sooo thats where its at? Gotta say 4064 was a good load while i had it! Funny how you cant see the end of the rainbow.

Both Powdervalley and MidSouthShooterssupply have IMR 4064 in 1lb and 8lb kegs in stock. Reasonable  (for today) prices.