Imr 4064 powder

Dane Armory

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It is said that Federal used to use it for their Gold Medal Match ammo, at least in .308. I use it and it has produced my tightest 5 shot groups from my .308 using a 168 gr SMK on top.

Single digit ES's in the groups is typical. I like it more than Varget, to be perfectly honest. Varget ES's not nearly as good for me. If I knew where to go and pick up some IMR 4064 I would do it, already would have... I've got less than 2 lbs right now.

• 1 month later...

I made I batch of 308 loads with Hornady 150gr FMJBT w/cann, CCI 200 primers and 46.5gr of Imr 4064 powder @ 2.788" to 2.795" .

I also made a box of 50 Sierra 80grhpbt 1-7" twist 223 bullets with5 different powder amounts and CCI BBR4 primers @ mag length coal.

I also made a box of 50 Sierra 80grhpbt 1-7" twist 223 bullets with5 different powder amounts and CCI BBR4 primers @ mag length coal.

Gotta be a compressed load, brother, with those 80s at mag length.  Watch those higher charges.

I have two loadings i just tried out with 4064 ,

LC brass, 62 gr. Barnes TSX bullet,24 grs. 4064 ,COL -2.250"

avg.vol.-2780fps

ES - 100

SD - 33

LC brass ,52 gr. SMK  bullet, also 24 grs. 4064 , COL - 2.180"

avg. vol. -2896 fps 

SD - 80

ES - 40 

Shot from a 24" ultra match barrel, AR 15

They all shot good ,but loads need more experimenting

Edited by survivalshop

Yeah those are some wild ES/SD's. In .308 my good nodes are always under 10 SD, I've seen 4 SD IN 5 shots. That's why I like it more than Varget, and the kernels are smaller.

My brother in law is experimenting with Varget in .223. He is getting good results with it using 69 grain Nosler custom comps in his 16" Ultra Match. He hasn't run them through Chrono though. He couldn't find no Varget so I sold him one of my 1lb bottles, it's almost gone now. I can feel him crawling up my back for the rest of mine LoL...

CFE 223 could be a good one to try too.

No fail. Call kittles. Last time i looked the other day they had about 20 lbs of the stuff

Thanks, bubbasks, I checked the site and wall the powders I'd be interested in are sold out. Are you saying if I call they might have some on their store shelves?

Yeah those are some wild ES/SD's. In .308 my good nodes are always under 10 SD, I've seen 4 SD IN 5 shots. That's why I like it more than Varget, and the kernels are smaller.

My brother in law is experimenting with Varget in .223. He is getting good results with it using 69 grain Nosler custom comps in his 16" Ultra Match. He hasn't run them through Chrono though. He couldn't find no Varget so I sold him one of my 1lb bottles, it's almost gone now. I can feel him crawling up my back for the rest of mine LoL...

CFE 223 could be a good one to try too.

Ya the SD & ES need work ,but the groups were not that bad , which is strange. Not bad at all for first loads & I need to also try them in my 16", just for comparison .

Will play with load .primer & COL .

I was there a week ago and had tons of blc2 4064 had 4 varget but i took 2 and smith took 2. And lots of others.

Anyone know anything about BLC 2? I went to a LGS yesterday and they had 1lb Varget, so I picked it up for my brother in law. I still can't believe it was there, but fkn $39.99 + tax.

They had several bottles of that BLC 2. They had several bottles of H4350, several of H380. That's it.

Ball C2 is another of those powders that have been around forever!  When I started out in the retail busness( late 60's)  we bought it in 100# kegs,  for $50. a keg.  and sold it weighed out in brown paper bags for  a $1.00 a pound!

Used to come surpless from Hogdon.  Now its new mfg.

Lots of loads in the older reloading manuels.   from 222- 30-06.

respectfully

Terry

Thanks, Terry.....

Oh I forgot, the other the day I went to bass pro in Manteca and the shelves were empty. Not one bottle of anything at all. Bullets were sparse, very. None primers, some brass no .308, .223.

Once full pistol display cases were completely empty. I noticed shelves of loaded ammo looked nice & stocked but I didn't investigate them.

Chick came & talked to me and she said truck comes Tuesday & Sunday mornings and they get stocked again with that reloading stuff. Store opens at 9 AM. I was there Tuesday at 10 AM. I wonder if those MoFo's let special poeple in there early to strip the joint.

I wants me some

H4895

IMR 4064

CFE 223

I'll take

RL-15

TAC

MR-2000

VV N150, N550...

IMR 4895

Varget

Few others I guess

Edited by NoFail

BLC2 is close to the WC 846 I've been using for about twenty years , close ,but not the same . I get excellent results using WC 846 with 5.56 & 308.

I just got some more 4064 & will start load development for the AR's , because finding surplus powder is a ways off. At least I can get commercial now & then .

If I could find some BLC2 , I would buy some .

^ well shoot, they had at least 6 bottles at a LGS on Friday. I have to go down there again Monday morning to drop off my pick up for timing belt change. The gun store is about less than medium .308 range from the there. Guess I'll think about going back in there.. It was $33 a pound.

• 1 month later...

I'm gearing up to load for the M1A. I've read that they are sensitive to fast burning powders. I keep reading that IMR4895 and H4895 are the safest powders to use. I'm also eventually going to be loading for the M1 and have heard that Varget is most popular for that, although there seems to be some debate about whether it's a good idea to use it in the M1A. Can you tell me how 4064 compares with the 4895? Isn't it a faster burning powder and therefore possibly harder on the M1A operating system?

^ IMR 4064 & 4895 are close together on my burn rate chart, with 4064 being the slower powder of the two.

Perhaps Alliant Power Pro 2000 MR or CFE 223 would be a good choice. Those two are virtually the same powder and several powders, on my chart, slower than the previous two. Imr4350 may be a goodie!!

I'm gearing up to load for the M1A. I've read that they are sensitive to fast burning powders. I keep reading that IMR4895 and H4895 are the safest powders to use. I'm also eventually going to be loading for the M1 and have heard that Varget is most popular for that, although there seems to be some debate about whether it's a good idea to use it in the M1A. Can you tell me how 4064 compares with the 4895? Isn't it a faster burning powder and therefore possibly harder on the M1A operating system?

Jgun,

lots of loading info here  for loading for the M1A /M14  http://m14forum.com/. My SAI  M1A prefers H 4895 to IMR 4064 when duplicating  M118 loads