• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Imr 4064 powder

Dane Armory

I have already pcked hp 10 lbs of IMR 4895. Have you ever compared that to the H4895? I've heard that some say the Hogdon is more consistant because the rods are shorter so it burns better and meters better, any personal experience?

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 4 weeks later...

The CFE223 seems a little hot. 4064 performed much better and has similar (if not better) results than factory loaded FGMM 175 SMK.

Loads were with 42.5gr IMR4064, 175gr SMK or 175gr Barnes Matchburners, Fed 210 LR primers,  in a mix of brass (LC, FC, and  WIN RP). Trying the same load with 180gr SMK the next outing.

Edited by shibiwan

The CFE223 seems a little hot. 4064 performed much better and has similar (if not better) results than factory loaded FGMM 175 SMK.

Loads were with 42.5gr IMR4064, 175gr SMK or 175gr Barnes Matchburners, Fed 210 LR primers,  in a mix of brass (LC, FC, and  WIN RP). Trying the same load with 180gr SMK the next outing.

thanks for the information. Out of curiosity is that an ar or bolt action? What is your barrel length and twist ?

From the DuPont book " 24 INCH BARREL 175grSMK ,MAX LOAD 45.6GR COMPRESSED ,59,500PSI ,VELOCITY 2728FPC".

I would not push it past thatat all .

when I start reloading it will be with 150,168,175 and 180 grs. I think i'll be starting on the ladder from the bottom and taking one step at a time. It is interesting to reading about the different loads and the results. thanks for the reply <thumbsup>

when I start reloading it will be with 150,168,175 and 180 grs. I think i'll be starting on the ladder from the bottom and taking one step at a time. It is interesting to reading about the different loads and the results. thanks for the reply <thumbsup>

Read post #27 in this thread : it works. I worked up a load to 42.5gr with 168grSMK and Hornady168gr HPBT ,the FGMM loads are proven winners...so copy them !

Read post #27 in this thread : it works. I worked up a load to 42.5gr with 168grSMK and Hornady168gr HPBT ,the FGMM loads are proven winners...so copy them !

I copied recipe post 27. i have a sufficient supply of 4064 and 168 hornaday 168gr hpbt. I have been stock piling since last summer (lucky me) They do say a broken clock is right twice a day. I  just need to get off my but and finish the builds and start reloading. Thanks for the input

I copied recipe post 27. i have a sufficient supply of 4064 and 168 hornaday 168gr hpbt. I have been stock piling since last summer (lucky me) They do say a broken clock is right twice a day. I  just need to get off my but and finish the builds and start reloading. Thanks for the input

That's good ! I have two projos left in a box, currenty our of 30 cal that I can use for 308s.

Found that a OAL of 2.790" to 2.795" is a sweet spot on the 1X loads of 42.5gr.

That's good ! I have two projos left in a box, currenty our of 30 cal that I can use for 308s.

Found that a OAL of 2.790" to 2.795" is a sweet spot on the 1X loads of 42.5gr.

I have not seen many speak of OAL with thier load data. good info.what are your barrel specs with the load data you have provided?

1-10" twist 16" , 20" , 24".

Did testing with 20" and 24". 168gr SMK and Hornady hpbt.

The 16" likes 150gr projos and 125gr projos.

I only have a 24" :'(  do you think I could go with a lighter bullet for shorter ranges or the 168's for all? ( I plan on targets 1-500 yds and work out to 1000 yds). Off topic but: I have another 308 lower(home build), is their another caliber I could go with? Also I have several lowers (ar-15's) I am in the process of putting together 2- ar-15's and the 308. I bought the uppers complete but did the lowers myself. I am planning on building the new uppers my self and was thinking about different options. :sniper: Thanks again for your information

I only have a 24" :'(  do you think I could go with a lighter bullet for shorter ranges or the 168's for all? ( I plan on targets 1-500 yds and work out to 1000 yds).

The longer bullets do much better at the longer ranges.  Longer bullets = heavier bullets, being that they're constrained by diameter.  If you're after the best accuracy at the 1000 yard line, the 168s and 175s are going to do better at those ranges.

More importantly though - what's the twist rate on your barrel?

Once again Tom's right !

Twist rate is very important !

Long bullets have a better cD effiency mainty boattails with hollow points or a plastic tip.

Scener 155 is a very good bullet also Berger 180gr VLD.

Heavier bullets also won't move as much in the wind as a lighter bullet.It will drop faster.

The longer bullets do much better at the longer ranges.  Longer bullets = heavier bullets, being that they're constrained by diameter.  If you're after the best accuracy at the 1000 yard line, the 168s and 175s are going to do better at those ranges.

More importantly though - what's the twist rate on your barrel?

1:10 twist 24" barrel

Once again Tom's right !

Twist rate is very important !

Long bullets have a better cD effiency mainty boattails with hollow points or a plastic tip.

Scener 155 is a very good bullet also Berger 180gr VLD.

Heavier bullets also won't move as much in the wind as a lighter bullet.It will drop faster.

I have a whole crap load of different bullets but I am heavy in the 150 gr fmj and 168 gr hpbt hornadays and the 180 gr competition nosler