• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Adjustable gas block help

Hi everyone,

Ive browsed this forum quite often and finally thought I would join. I would appreciate any advise on using an adjustable gas block or not. I don't plan on using a suppressor, but I have heard that most guns are over gassed and that I can reduce felt recoil. I also just started working up some handloads and thought being able to adjust the gas pressure would be a good thing.

Also, I have a carbon fiber handguard and a low profile gas block. I was hoping to get a railed adjustable gas block so I would have the option of iron sights. I know that JP makes one, and I also found one from Battle Tested Equipment. Does anyone have any experience with BTE? I was also wondering about their charging handle.Well that's enough for now. Thanks guys

Edited by .308LiteHunter

Welcome aboard litehunter. I use adjustable blocks on most of my AR-10's, but that's more for suppressor use than recoil. Though it does help, as you can adjust the right amount of gas that you need. Overall, alot of it comes down to personal opinion or reason for use. They're easy enough to swap out. Doesn't hurt to try, if you're willing to spend a little cash. Some aren't really that expensive.....relatively, of course.

PRI lo-pro (a couple of them), JP (A2 front-post type), got an Armalite factory block on one of them (the SASS is bad ass). I'm currently in search of the elusive Noveske switchblock for 7.62 for a 12" AR-10 build I'm working on. Those things are hard to find. There's other manufactures', it's all in the type of feature you're looking for (set screw vs rotating knob type), material the block is made of, and of course.......cash that you're willing to part with.

Thanks for the info. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of a railed adjustable gas block, like these, or JP's?

http://bte-usa.com/parts/AR15-gas-blocks.htm            (this didn't link earlier, hopefully it will now)

Are gas blocks hard to change out? I have 0 experience changing anything on an AR platform. Thanks

Edited by .308LiteHunter

Bench vise (with upper reciever vise blocks)...light hammer...punch set (or hex keys)...oh, and beer. Also, if you feel like it, one of those gas tube clamps like the ones that Brownells sells. That's a handy little tool that (I find) makes it easy setting the tube into the block.

And, of course.....more beer.

Lol, well I better start getting some tools together and ordering some specialty tools. At least I have the beer covered! Is there a video walkthrough on this, or removing the carbon fiber handguard, Im assuming that's the first step, then the brake, then the block.?

Edit:  Just found the DPMS technical section on here so Ill see what I can find.

Edited by .308LiteHunter

Yep .750, and I've seen Syrac's gas blocks and heard good things about them. My issue is that Im thinking of a way to put back up sites on my gun which has a non-railed ff carbon fiber tube. I haven't seen, or heard of any good ways of attaching a rail to it, or if that would be a good idea anyway. So I was thinking if I get a railed adjustable gas block, I would be able to not only mount my iron sites, but also enjoy the benefits of an adjustable gas block. I know JP makes one, but Im trying to see what options are out there.

I see.  Pray tell, why a hand guard with no accessory slots? The benefits of an adjustable gas block would be for shooting off a bipod, suppressed...sniping etc.  That's a sweet looking handguard but looks more "racey" as in, full throttle to the 100yd or less battle rifle. 

Well because I purchased a DPMS .308 lite hunter model, and the carbon fiber tube came on it. I use it to take antelope and elk, and if Im in the middle of no where and something happens to my scope it would be nice to have back up sites. Like I said earlier, Im looking for a way to accomplish this and a railed adjustable gas block should be the ticket. Also, Im sure my gun is overgassed so it would be nice to tune it down. Make sense?

Thanks man, appreciate it. I'll find what I need sooner or later. I enjoy the light wieght aspect of the carbon tube, but other than that its not the best. For one its for on a "hunting gun" and if you have any kind of precipitation and it gets wet...well its smooth to start with add water and that does not make for a good grip. Something I should have forseen but my excitement at getting the gun overoad those kind of thoughts. And of course the other issue is that you have no rails to attach anything too, which led to this post. Anyway thanks for the Syrac reccomendation.

You can go on fleabay and do a search for skateboard tape and find all sorts of different colors. Local skateboard shops also have scraps that they will sell really cheap or just give away. Hardware stores usually have 'tread tape' too, basically the same stuff. Nice thing about it is if you don't like it just peel it off and do something else. Competition shooters have been using the stuff for years.

That means we get an "install and review" session!  Awesome, and thanks for doing that!  <thumbsup> <laughs>

first let me get my lower so I can shoot with this one, then complain about how bad it sucks having to take off the handguard to adjust it. Then bitch that I don't want to take a grinder to the pretty troy FDE handguard to make the vent holes bigger, so I HAVE to buy the syrac :D

• 2 weeks later...

The Syrac is STEEL, it's adjustments have clicking detents, they sent a long tool that allowed me to adjust it from the front while it sits under a Troy free float handguard.

Best $100 I have spent on my little 308AR to date!

Hey Syrac where's my commission;) ?    Better yet, where's that .875 block coming out?