• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

First 308 Build

medic83

Damn that's nice! I have literally been looking through photos of long travel 4runners for the last two hours. I'm in the market for a 96-02 4x right now. I've wanted one for a long time. I may have a line on a 4 door Tacoma for cheap (a company vehicle from my family's business)...not exactly what I'm after, but if the price is right...

Thanks for the photos...that is a fantastic set of bumpers on that rig. You have some time and some serious dollars in her. How brutal was the swap on the front end?

Not too bad... did it twice...  First time my ride height was too high and I was too narrow.  I did both the front and rear twice.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went shooting Sat in Petaluma.  brought the wife.  Did some pistol shooting, shot the AR-15,  shot the 22.  Spent most of the time teaching the wifey.  Had alot of fun.  Was able to get some rounds with the 308.  

Heres 300 yards.  First shot... low left... second.....still low.  Adjusted, put a 5 shot group.  I wish I had more time out there.  We had to get back cuz we had a sitter.  Still a blast!!  I adjusted my trigger from the first range visit.  Played with the sear and added some pull to the second stage.  It was at its lightest last time.... its prob at a pound now.

THis was some hornady match my buddy let me try... 168 gr hpbt I think.  I still need some practice.... Im happy tho for my second trip with the rifle.

photo12-2_zpsfee58e8b.jpg

Edited by medic83

• 4 months later...

So I went to the range on Wed.  I shot all the guns that day.  I did have a few issues with the 308.  I noticed that when I would lock the action open it wasnt always staying back.  or if it did stay back, I bump the gun and it releases the bolt.  Its like the bolt catch is just barely catching.  I also feel like my buffer spring is too stiff.  It seems to take alot to pull back the charging handle.  I have a badger ordinance handle on the reg DPMS charging handle and it is pretty hard to use it to pull back on the charging handle.  I need to use two fingers and pull it back using both sides of that handle.  I am looking to get a different charging handle tho. I thought maybe after time the spring would loosen up enough to make the handle easier to charge.  

Any advice??

Thanks! I couldn't be happier with it. I just need to figure out the bolt catch thing and I'll b good. This thing shoots better than I could have hoped.

The problem is not with your bolt catch, it's with your bolt carrier. I too have a NiB SI Defense bolt carrier and the problem you are having comes from the chamfer that is machined into the front of your bolt carrier on the bottom, as seen in your earlier pics. Unless you get the catch to somehow snag the bolt itself, it will not lock rearwards because the chamfer overrides the bolt catch during it's forward movement.

The problem is not with your bolt catch, it's with your bolt carrier. I too have a NiB SI Defense bolt carrier and the problem you are having comes from the chamfer that is machined into the front of your bolt carrier on the bottom, as seen in your earlier pics. Unless you get the catch to somehow snag the bolt itself, it will not lock rearwards because the chamfer overrides the bolt catch during it's forward movement.

After looking at one of my other rifles, that bolt had the same chamfer/ ramp that u say is the issue. The bolt catch doesn't catch there, it catches at the end of the bolt and not on the carrier. I'll see if it happens next time, I'll prob shoot this weekend.

Edited by medic83

• 7 months later...

Update on the rifle.... Me and my buddy's have been shooting long range now for almost a year. I am shooting the 308ar and they have Rem 700's. I shoot my own hand loads, we went out last week and I bought more steel. We do unknown distance... Our two furthest targets were at 1040 yards and then 1210 yards. The 1050 was a 15" x 9". And the other was a 24 x 24". The rife performed very well. We were dealing with a lot of wind at times and I was actually shooting my lighter 175 g load. I was avg 2529 fps. With imr 4064. I'm very happy with the rifle. We're going back next week. My goal is to reach out to 1500 yards. Love this gun!

I think I'm gonna stick with the 175g. I measure off the ogive with the bullet comparator, but Its 2.82 for OAL And they feed great. I'm gonna chrono some other loads to see if I can get more speed. I want to keep the accuracy and go as fast as I can to stay super sonic as long as possible. I know the heavier projectiles will stabilize better but I think I can get over 2600 fps and still drive tacks. I'll keep you guys posted. I went with a magneto speed gen3 for the chrono. It's really nice. Seems to be spot on and not affected like other chronos by light and stuff. Very easy to set up....and u won't shoot it