• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

First 308 Build

medic83

Im not offended at all... Im no stranger to the forums and how things are.  WIth my truck and trailer, build.... Ive heard it all.  LOL.  I honestly wanted some reviews and or feedback.  I was up all night with one hand on the debit card... I really only found debates between my vortex choice and another one like the Bushnell tactical, sightron, leupold, night force.  For my "price range" with included options, the vortex won.  It just seemed that everyone was partial to the one they had.  But I have looked thru my buddy's Vortex ( exact one I got) the leupold and then a Millett ( good budget scope actually backed by bushnell I think).  I liked my buddys vortex over my other buddy's leupold.  Well see.... I know Ill be happy.  I also know that when I upgrade, i have two other rifles to choose from to mount this baby!!

I really do appreciate all the advice from you guys.  On my other rifles, I just put the lowers together and purchased a complete upper.  SO this is my first full build on my own.  Soon as I get this thing done Imma head to this wheelin area.... all BLM land and over 1000 yard shots all day long.  Im in Nor Cal by the way... Would be cool to gain some shooting tips from you seasoned guys.

Hey brother, I'll trade you everything I know about this platform for range time on your 1k ranges....  <laughs>  <thumbsup>

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was no disrespect intended. I was just giving you the business for seeing the light in the end of the tunnel. I saw it once, then these guys got me going on, oh, four more builds!  <laughs>

I would like to hear how it shoots for you. There are a couple guys near you, they will chime in soon.

Im up at my brothers in Roseville.  Im gonna see if Sac Black Rifle or Sportsmans warehouse has a bi pod for sale since they are a block away.  I was thinking the Harris.  I like the one with the swivel on it. 

Edited by medic83

Im still trying to decide on a scope mount.  I want to shoot long distance with the rifle.

1) Because of my scope choice, would you guys recommend a 20 MOA cant mount?  

2) One piece mount or rings?

3) Quick disconnect or permanent?  

--- Will the Quick disconnect cause the scope to lose its zero if removed and re-mounted at the same rail location?

I bought 2 Magpul rail's today after I went shooting.  One is for a Magpul AFG to go on the Apex hand guard, and then the other is the little short one for a bi pod.  I got the Apex 12.5" one for the top.  I figured Id go with the Magpul for the bottoms as the Apex ones are pricey.  

Edited by medic83

This is sounding like a sweet build (and vaguely familiar, lol).

Get the 20MOA mount. If you push to 1000, you'll need that +20 to adjust you scope out far enough. Otherwise you'll just be playing the hold-over game.

I'm just outside of downtown Sac. I have family in Lincoln and Folsom. You have that range out by the reservoir that goes back pretty far. I don't remember exactly the distance, but I remember there was a road to the furthest targets. I only shot there once. One of our members pointed out a range in Dunnigan (about 40 mins north on I-5). He says they have a 1k. I also know that Jackson/Ione range has a 1k... If you're willing to make that drive.

Here's my little teaser...

AD638A17-9E73-4D62-B421-75EA6357E3DE-950

Ok... so 20 MOA.  I was looking on vortex's site.  There mounts dont have that option it seems.  I was looking at the larue.  Ill keep looking when I get up.  I want to get the mount and bi pod ordered in the AM.   What bipod do you have?? Specs?

Im still trying to decide on a scope mount.  I want to shoot long distance with the rifle.

1) Because of my scope choice, would you guys recommend a 20 MOA cant mount?  

2) One piece mount or rings?

3) Quick disconnect or permanent?  

--- Will the Quick disconnect cause the scope to lose its zero if removed and re-mounted at the same rail location?

I bought 2 Magpul rail's today after I went shooting.  One is for a Magpul AFG to go on the Apex hand guard, and then the other is the little short one for a bi pod.  I got the Apex 12.5" one for the top.  I figured Id go with the Magpul for the bottoms as the Apex ones are pricey.  

How far is long distance?

#1- If you want to shoot more than 800 +- yards= Yes    (unknown variables)

#2- Personal preference, just get high quality.

#3- ^^See #2

Possibly ever so slightly but shouldn't be enough to notice.

From LaRue>  Like all LaRue mounts, it is precision-machined out of bar-stock aluminum and anodized. The locking LaRue Speed Levers provide outstanding return to zero; the optic can be removed, and replaced, without loss of zero. Guaranteed.

Edited by BLKSHEEP

Ordered the Larue Scope mount.  Got the QD Lt745 for 30mm tubes, 20 MOA cant.  Shipped out today. So now the rifle should be ready to shoot this weekend!

I gotta get the bipod.  Not sure im sold on spending 2-300 dollars for one of these fancy ones.  They are nice, but are they really worth it?  I mean... its just a portable "bench rest" right?  

Harris are nice... not way over priced... seem bulky

GG&G are really nice, but damn expensive.

Atlas.... FULL RETARD

then the cheapos... Im sure they work  

OPINIONS???

Edited by medic83

I watched a bunch of youtube videos and reviews.  I was looking at a few different ones with one being a cheap 30$ one.  As far as looks it was between the Harris, GG&G, Atlas.  I went full retard and went with the atlas.  Lots of accessories for the atlas as well.  DIfferent feet, option to buy the 3" leg extensions. Lots of adjustability.  So I went that route.  GG&G was my next choics.  I actually like how it puts the legs forward of the mounting location.  But, Atlas won.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally finished putting the rifle together the other night.  I changed my mind on a few things and so i had to wait for the exchanged items.  I sent the 12.5 inch hand guard back for the 15"... looks way better and it completely covers my gas block.  I ended up doing some more research on triggers and sent my Geissele SSA-E back and went with the Hi-Speed  DMR.  Im hoping to take it out next weekend.  Ill try and get some pics up of the completed rifle this week.

So not sure why Im still awake.... Me and a couple buddys got off work this AM and got our stuff and headed to Sacramento Valley Shooting Club.  None of us have been there.... THis place is awesome!   We arent members so we just showed up and shot the 100 yard rifle range.  In order to shoot the 300 yard rifle range, they told us we have to "qualify" by shooting a 5 shot group like 5" at 100 yards or something... cant remember.  Anyways.... I sighted my scope in and then took my target to get my 300 yard card.  So obviously this was my first time shooting this rifle.  I took with me 50 rounds of 7.62x51 Ball ammo.  and 100 rounds of Sierra Gold Match 175gr HPBT.   I started off with the Ball ammo... first round fired but did not eject.  I closed down the gas block.  Next round fired and ejected.  Shot a few more and it was poop ammo.  It ejected fine but would not feed each time.  My buddy gave me the ammo so I didnt expect too much.  I know the failure to eject was the adjustable gas block was open too much.  I basically closed it down and had no ejection problems the rest of the day.  I only shot maybe 25 of the ball..... it was about a 6-7in group at 100 yards.  Was all over the place.  

I know the rifle is brand new, I was using some brand new DPMS 10 round mags.... the ball ammo just really wouldnt feed.  Im not sure if it was the mags or just shitty ammo.  Not sure.  So I started to shoot the SGM 175gr.  This ammo was legit, fed everytime and ejected fine. I really like this ammo.  My 5 shot groups at 100 yards before moving to the 300 yard range were  1-1.5".  My groups were MOA or just under at 200 yards and 230 yards.  I was starting to get fatigued as I have been up since 11am Friday.  I did shoot at 300 but was about 1-1.5 MOA for a few groups.  I kept messing with things... I ended up taking my scope off and moving it back.  Screwed everything up.  Im still trying to get the PRS adjusted just right for me. I shot the whole day with the scope slightly cocked left in the rings... lol.  I eye balled that one.  Its my first day shooting the rifle... Theres lots of adjustments that I gotta get right.  

All in all.... I fvcking love this thing!!!

---The Atlas bipod is really nice.... lots of adjustment.

---This Geissele Hi-Speed DMR is CRAZY light!!! OMG!!  I literally just put the thing in the day before.  Im reading more on the trigger and I will figure out the right setting.  Its set at whatever they come from the mfg.  I think I would like to see a little more travel in the first stage... It is sooooo short.  Almost hard to tell its even a 2 stage.  The second stage is so damn light that its really easy to just pull all the way thru.  Not sure... gotta read up.  It is super smooth tho!!! One hell of a surprise boom tho.

--- I have the thicker but pad on the PRS and the big muzzle break sure makes this rifle smooth with little felt recoil.  

--- Im gonna order the APEX bottom rails.  The magpul ones are really thick and the screws stick up and contact the gas block.  They are a little pricey but screw it. 

---I gotta say, this vortex scope is really nice.  The turrets are really beefy and they feel really solid. The glass is very very nice.  Ill be putting the same scope on my wifes 223.  

Sorry if I rambled.  But Im very happy with this build.  Ill probable take it out to the Richmond range to re sight my scope and make all my final adjustments.  

Damn that's nice! I have literally been looking through photos of long travel 4runners for the last two hours. I'm in the market for a 96-02 4x right now. I've wanted one for a long time. I may have a line on a 4 door Tacoma for cheap (a company vehicle from my family's business)...not exactly what I'm after, but if the price is right...

Thanks for the photos...that is a fantastic set of bumpers on that rig. You have some time and some serious dollars in her. How brutal was the swap on the front end?