• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

First 308 Build

medic83

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok... sounds good.  I will go ahead and put the BCG together then.  I ordered the APEX 12.5 inch hand guard and their overprived 12.5 inch top rail.  That just shipped from Brownells.  I was gonna go with the 15 inch, but I looked at pictures of some on rifles with an 18 inch barrel ( mine being 18.5)  it was just too much hand guard for me.  I know Ill still be able to get the bi pod out far enough with the 12.5.  I just like the look of the 12.5 on the 18.5 inch barrel more.   Only thing left to get is a scope.  

Very nice brother,don't forget to stake the key.

I've got some more for that - what did you torque the bolts to, as that is important, and did you use sealer on the key before you mounted it to the carrier - which is also important. 

Nice project you have going. We will have similar rifles... It will be interesting to compare our accuracy results. I have the same FA 18.5" barrel, and the SI-D receivers (ordered them april 1, waiting for them to ship). I didn't know that SI D finished their BCGs so i pieced my own together.

How soon are you going to have yours all done? Ill be ready to go as soon as they get me receivers.

Nothing is torqued, nothing is sealed. I just put everything together. It was my first time. I kno I have to stake the bolts. Again, was waiting to see if I needed any thread locker on the bolts.

What do u suggest I torque to?

What sealant?

Thread locker, red or blue?

My FA 18.5" med BB hasn't come yet... Anyone kno if there is holes for gas block set screws? if so which gas block are u using?

Thx

Edited by medic83

Seal the base of the key, to the carrier, with red Loc-Tite.  Gas key screws go in at 35~40 inch-pounds, and then get staked in place.

I'm wondering if he did that - or, if we'll be diagnosing extraction problems next September... 

Seal the base of the key, to the carrier, with red Loc-Tite.  Gas key screws go in at 35~40 inch-pounds, and then get staked in place.

I'm wondering if he did that - or, if we'll be diagnosing extraction problems next September...

I had the red... Didn't know if I should use that or the blue though. So red is good to go then. I'll finish it up when I'm off duty then. All I need is my gas block and I'm done. Well it's shooting.... Im still looking at what trigger to get though.

I really like the looks of the break.  The reviews seemed great.  But well see.  I like it... all that matters. 

Rifle is done!  Well.... I have almost everything in hand, what isnt has been shipped as of today.  Im gonna buy my scope today or tomorrow.  Looking at the Vortex PST... FFP, illuminated reticle.  6x24 mil rad.   Im open to suggestions.  I want to stay under 1000$  Thanks.

Camera Land for the scope.

I got mine as a "opened box" model, because the person that originally bought it decided to upgrade prior to mounting it.  Full warranty still.

Shipped/insured $753 for the 4-16x50mm FFP PST.

Jon

OK... Ill check them out.  What mount you get??

<lmao>  <laughs> Rookie!

I actually did alot of research on that scope.  Im pretty happy with it.  At the end of the day, that all I care about.  My budget was 1000$ or less.  I think I made a good choice.  YOu got some reviews on my scope?? 

I actually did alot of research on that scope.  Im pretty happy with it.  At the end of the day, that all I care about.  My budget was 1000$ or less.  I think I made a good choice.  YOu got some reviews on my scope?? 

It's not the scope brother, don't take offense there! It's the "I'm done" part….. I think we have all said and believed that at some point. I am just pulling you leg my good man, no harm meant.

Hey brother, it's a great scope, nobody's going to knock it... Edge is only picking with you. It's pretty laid back around here, if somebody really snobs you, that won't be tolerated. 

I think you made a great choice, congratulations brother.

It's not the scope brother, don't take offense there! It's the "I'm done" part….. I think we have all said and believed that at some point. I am just pulling you leg my good man, no harm meant.

Hey brother, it's a great scope, nobody's going to knock it... Edge is only picking with you. It's pretty laid back around here, if somebody really snobs you, that won't be tolerated. 

I think you made a great choice, congratulations brother.

Im not offended at all... Im no stranger to the forums and how things are.  WIth my truck and trailer, build.... Ive heard it all.  LOL.  I honestly wanted some reviews and or feedback.  I was up all night with one hand on the debit card... I really only found debates between my vortex choice and another one like the Bushnell tactical, sightron, leupold, night force.  For my "price range" with included options, the vortex won.  It just seemed that everyone was partial to the one they had.  But I have looked thru my buddy's Vortex ( exact one I got) the leupold and then a Millett ( good budget scope actually backed by bushnell I think).  I liked my buddys vortex over my other buddy's leupold.  Well see.... I know Ill be happy.  I also know that when I upgrade, i have two other rifles to choose from to mount this baby!!

I really do appreciate all the advice from you guys.  On my other rifles, I just put the lowers together and purchased a complete upper.  SO this is my first full build on my own.  Soon as I get this thing done Imma head to this wheelin area.... all BLM land and over 1000 yard shots all day long.  Im in Nor Cal by the way... Would be cool to gain some shooting tips from you seasoned guys.