• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Long Range Barrel

M D Wheeler

I am building my LR-308 for benchrest, and hunting. I have decided on a 20" barrel but I dont know what manufacturer I want to go with. I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with JP, Rainier Arms Ultra Match, Black Hole Weaponry, and Fulton Armory. I was looking at Noveske but good luck getting a barrel from them any time soon. In the end it is all about accuracy and I don't mind paying a little extra to get it. If anyone has had good results with any other barrel manufacturers then by all means let me know.

Thanks

Those are all good barrels, but if it's truly "all about accuracy" there are better choices.

Take a look at the custom, carbon fiber wrapped, barrels at ProofResearch.com

If you're interested, call them up. Mike Dagerness or Jeff Badelt will answer all your questions and help you build a custom barrel exactly for your needs.

If you want a barrel that will be accurate at the bench and light enough to hunt with, this is your best option.

I priced one of those out once. No thanks. 3-4 month wait and it cost about twice what anyone else's barrel cost.

It's not that expensive when you compare it to another custom barrel. I love when people compare custom carbon fiber barrels to off the shelf barrels. That's like comparing a Formula 1 car to your wife's Hyundai.

A true custom barrel will cost $600-$700, and will take 10-12 months to complete. A carbon fiber wrapped barrel costs $950 and takes 12-14 months. That's the cost of wanting the best. Some people feel the best is worth the cost.

I opted for the Rainier Arms UM in 20"...   just getting it running smooth, but so far I'm impressed. Not the Carbon Fiber, but I went with he RA so I could spend some more on a quality scope and a few other things. But I'm not doing competition or anything like that either....  just some longer range plinking fun. And zombies.

WELCOME TO 308!

There are off the shelf barrels that can get you sub MOA accuracy, but when you want .5 MOA nothing really beats custom.

I can't really comment on Proof quite yet, but their customer service is great and they respond quickly to e-mails. I should have one of their barrels in a couple of months to give a range report.

Other custom manufactures you can check out:

Lothar Walther (makes barrels for Larue)

GA Precision (not sure if they just sell barrels anymore but I see some pop up on the market from time to time)

Short Action Customs

I almost had Hart do a custom barrel for me, but went with the rainier arms ultra-match in 24", they are cut from Shilen barrel blanks.  I don't like the bead blasted finish, it scrapes and scratches extremely easy, but it is more accurate than I am.  I would not want to carry around this rifle though, it's really heavy.

My first choice was Satern for a custom barrel but they said it would be well over a year to wait.  

Edited by Justintoxicated

I opted for the Rainier Arms UM in 20"...   just getting it running smooth, but so far I'm impressed. Not the Carbon Fiber, but I went with he RA so I could spend some more on a quality scope and a few other things. But I'm not doing competition or anything like that either....  just some longer range plinking fun. And zombies.

Instead of waiting months and paying twice the price for a carbon wrapped barrel, I went with the Rainier UM in 18" and had it in 3 days.  Shoots 1/2 MOA to 300 yards.  Can't imagine why anyone would want to spend more on a barrel for a semi-auto than that.  Rainier UM or Novekse make great barrels.

Can't imagine why anyone would want to spend more on a barrel for a semi-auto than that.

Can i ask how much your rifle weighs? The purpose of buying a carbon fiber barrel isn't just for the accuracy. Accuracy can be found in lots of stainless steel, bench behemoths. Carbon fiber wrapped barrels give you the same amount of accuracy, with the portability of a lighter barrel.

I can run my .308 in 3-gun or in a long range, and still hold competitive results.

Some of us have to carry our rifles further than the truck to the bench.

Edited by Robocop1051

^^^ That's truth! I'd love for all my hunting rifles to have CF wrapped barrels, Especially my AR. I have a lwrc repr w/20" barrel, if memory serves me right the specs said 11.25 lbs. empty, I added 4 full length rails, PWS/PRC brake, Harris bipod, monopod, ADM QD bipod & scope mounts, Weaver Tactical scope(28oz) sling, 5 swivel attachments. It's a beast to pack hunting!

Thanks everyone for all the info. There were a couple barrel makers I have never heard of, but will be checking them out. I really like Krieger barrels. I had one on a .308 bolt gun that I sold about 2 months ago. I will check into the carbon barrels but I cant imagine that they would be any more accurate than a Krieger, Lilja, Bartlein, and so on. Of course I have never shot a carbon barrel and I have shot many of the other custom barrels so I am a little biased. In my experience if a rifle is built correctly then the firle usually out performes the shooter. Also any experience with triggers? I will be purchasing a trigger along with the barrel.

Thanks.

Thanks everyone for all the info. There were a couple barrel makers I have never heard of, but will be checking them out. I really like Krieger barrels. I had one on a .308 bolt gun that I sold about 2 months ago. I will check into the carbon barrels but I cant imagine that they would be any more accurate than a Krieger, Lilja, Bartlein, and so on. Of course I have never shot a carbon barrel and I have shot many of the other custom barrels so I am a little biased. In my experience if a rifle is built correctly then the firle usually out performes the shooter. Also any experience with triggers? I will be purchasing a trigger along with the barrel.

Thanks.

The carbon fiber wrap only allows them to be lighter, you can achieve stiffness by making the barrel heavier without CF as well.   Most wait times are over a year right now from custom barrel makers.  That's the reason I ended up going another route, can always change the barrel out later heh.  So...You should have plenty of time to pick a trigger.  I hear the Wilson combat triggers are nice but have never tried one, and of course the Geissele HS and SR-Gold as well.

Edited by Justintoxicated

Instead of waiting months and paying twice the price for a carbon wrapped barrel, I went with the Rainier UM in 18" and had it in 3 days.  Shoots 1/2 MOA to 300 yards.  Can't imagine why anyone would want to spend more on a barrel for a semi-auto than that.  Rainier UM or Novekse make great barrels.

I did the same thing, and a 18" is fine for hunting with.

For me the big problem is the wait time. I would pay a grand all day long for a super sweet CF wrapped barrel... But I'll be damned if I am going to wait a year. After 3-4 months I would be completely "over it" and lose all interest in the project. A mean a year.. That is enough time to go from well and healthy to diagnosed terminal and then fuckin die all while still waiting to shoot your rifle. Forget it, I wanna shoot my rifle not stare at parts for a year!!!

Edited by phunk

I picked up a Lothar Walthar  20" Vartac barrel and have been very happy with the accuracy. It's a heavy profile, although not a bull barrel. Aside from the excellent accuracy, it was an in stock item so I had it within a week. They are also priced very reasonably.  May not be the best choice for a hunting rifle but great for bench or prone.